Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackcows
Topic Author

Screen Mirroring for iPhone/iPad

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:27 am

From what I can tell with a bit of research the screen mirroring feature is only available on Android and Windows Mobile right now. Is there an expectation it will be available on iOS soon? Does it work like Chromecast in regards to many apps having a cast icon which allows you to cast to compatible devices?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Screen Mirroring for iPhone/iPad

Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:52 am

blackcows wrote:
From what I can tell with a bit of research the screen mirroring feature is only available on Android and Windows Mobile right now. Is there an expectation it will be available on iOS soon? Does it work like Chromecast in regards to many apps having a cast icon which allows you to cast to compatible devices?

No. AirPlay is different than the methods used by Chromecast and Roku. Either Apple will have to make hardware changes to iOS devices to support the other technologies (unlikely) or Apple will have to license AirPlay to Roku (unlikely).
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

cyberlyt

Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:55 pm

Darn! Why the H___ can't the folks find a compromise. Thank goodness, I have a Surface 3 and iPad! I was hoping to send back a Microsoft Mirroring Device (which will work with WINDOWS AND IOS, and just use my new ROKU! Now I have to install an HDMI switch and the device if I want to mirror my iPad! (My TV has only two HDMI Ports!) Thanks Apple! Thanks Roku (NOT)! :twisted: :twisted: While doing this is very feasible it is a real pain in the backside and about $125 US + install time and integration testing.

trekkeriii

Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:01 am

Got to remember, Roku initially was not designed to do screen mirroring, it was a requested feature added later. It's in beta. Will Apple ever give Roku ability to do AirPlay? Doubtful, but then stranger things have happened. I am sure Roku would have to pay some hefty licensing driving up the costs of devices to do it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

carsokk

Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:29 pm

Is there any update on this?  Is it still impossible to mirror an iPhone or iPad to a Roku?  Will there ever be the ability to mirror an iPhone or iPad?

trekkeriii

Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:36 pm

carsokk wrote:
Is there any update on this?  Is it still impossible to mirror an iPhone or iPad to a Roku?  Will there ever be the ability to mirror an iPhone or iPad?

No, and probably not. Roku never comments on future releases. The fact they have said nothing, means likely not.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

JH1985

Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:33 am

When using Slingbox app on my iPhone, I am able to mirror it to my Roku.  There is an icon that allows me to toggle between displaying it on my phone or mirroring to the Roku and it works well.  My problem is using the Slingbox app for iPAD... it does not display the icon to allow it to mirror to the Roku.  I would prefer to use my iPad because I get more features such as using the full TV guide on the iPad version whereas the iPhone doesn't give me as much control.  I've searched everywhere and have tried all of the ideas (making sure on same network/IP address, reloading apps, etc) but nothing works for getting the iPad to mirror.  Anyone have a solution?

kakasi08

Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:30 am

I think it will work because Chromecast is an app....