Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dennphill
Topic Author

Worthless POS -

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:36 pm

So I have to unplug (to shut down) my ROKU 2 every few days? Doesn't start up.....have to wait for 2-3 minutes for a screen to cme up form the 'floating ROKU' logo. Then another 2-3 minutes before the channel i select comes to life. UNLESS, I just unplug the ROKU and let it reboot and then it tarts up. (For a few days anyway.) Really a poor item. The purchase of a ROKU 3 to see if it was any better was a gross mistake. (ROKU 3 is as bad as ROKU 2!) And then connecting the ROKU3 to ethernet (not wireless) to see if that fixed issues with NowhereTV's continual "Loading - Please Wait" on a black screen every 3 or 10 or 15 minutes - sometimes on and off every 20 to 40 seconds! - and then regular tonnual buffering screen and then ROKU just quitting.... Worthless device. Would not recommend. Help desk a few times - after threatening me with charges for OOW support could not help and just gave up. Reply not needed. My reviews and dissatisfaction on Amazon and on CNET and elsewhere.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Worthless POS -

Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:44 pm

In June, you loved your Roku, and had for over a year, so much so, you bought a second one. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63618&p=492970#p492970

Now, it's the worst thing ever, and has been forever.

Never once did you come here and report issues and ask for assistance. I wonder why that is. Reply not needed.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

FX4

Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Two Rokus behaving badly? I would be looking at your network.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Voldemort

Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:54 am

Basil wrote:
In June, you loved your Roku, and had for over a year, so much so, you bought a second one. http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=63618&p=492970#p492970

Never once did you come here and report issues and ask for assistance. I wonder why that is. Reply not needed.

I loved my Rokus once too. I bought six of them. Bought two for others. Recommended to many people. Now I think it's the worst thing ever. I handled the problems through their help desk. Why did things change?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90003&start=225#p513040
http://freetvforme.wordpress.com

Basil

Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:31 am

Basil wrote:

Voldemort wrote:
I loved my Rokus once too. I bought six of them. Bought two for others. Recommended to many people. Now I think it's the worst thing ever. I handled the problems through their help desk. Why did things change?

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=90003&start=225#p513040

Don't know what happened in your situation. I'm still happy with mine. Of course, I've only been dealing with Roku for just over five years. And I've only compared the devices and services to Apple TV, Amazon Fire TV, Google Chromecast, and TiVo Premiere and Roamio.

I also have dealt with Comcast and find them anywhere from extremely helpful (many in satellite offices of Savannah) to needing a severe beating (some in satellite offices of Jacksonville), depending on who I get paired with regarding service or issues.

You and I have some overlap in our experiences, and some differences. Not sure all the differences in conclusions are solely on the side of the service or hardware providers, but a mix of things, including the end-user. If I thought Roku was the worst thing ever, there'd be a track of issues reported here by me, each ending with my dissatisfaction expressed, and then nothing from me. I'd be gone. And I would stay gone. But, that's me.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

knuckle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:05 am

I must be the exception to the rule ... I have owned 6 Rokus and a Roku TV have gifted many and set up even more and am still recommending them as a great product ... I have never had one fail and this forum has provided all the "help desk " I have ever needed.
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

FX4

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:22 am

Well you have to admit a few things. Roku phone support is pretty much worthless and always has been. You only do that once. The Roku 7.0 firmware rollout was pretty bad. QA fail there. And Roku 4 still does not work right.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Basil

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:37 am

FX4 wrote:
Well you have to admit a few things. Roku phone support is pretty much worthless and always has been. You only do that once. The Roku 7.0 firmware rollout was pretty bad. QA fail there. And Roku 4 still does not work right.

Haven't used phone support. Have t needed to. The folks on this forum have always had good advice and knowledge, including some who now hate Roku. Their assistance has been beyond value to me. But, from what I read, it's as bad as any farmed-out contractor support can be.

The 7.0 rollout has indeed been a problem for many users of second generation devices. Testing on those devices was sadly lacking. Roku should learn a thing or two from that.

Roku 4? Haven't used one, but the many users here, particularly those who I respect greatly, have indicated its an issue. And that's why I haven't plopped down $130 for one, and at least for now have no plans to.

Still, I use my Roku devices more than any of my other ones.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

knuckle

Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:50 am

ahh phone support ... glad I never had to use it but as for 7.0 it hit some units harder than others -- my 2400/2500 s were barely affected and once we were informed to turn off menu sounds it was a non-issue the biggest problem I saw was in Plex's buggy performance ... for owners of the 2XS I am sure it was much more bothersome and as for the R4 ... one of the advantages of being on a fixed income is that by the time you have saved up to buy "the next big thing" they have worked out all the bugs ... I imagine 4K is on my to do list in 2018 or so ... :)

And Basil makes a very good point and I too would like to extend a huge heartfelt thankyou to the folk on this forum -- they have provided more help to me than all the extended warranties and service contracts one could purchase ever could
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

scottypie1234

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:25 am

Roku's phone support is not very helpful, in my experience. But on a couple of occasions when I have had an issue with a Roku, I've always found the answer on this website.

twiceover

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:45 am

Basil wrote:
The 7.0 rollout has indeed been a problem for many users of second generation devices. Testing on those devices was sadly lacking. Roku should learn a thing or two from that.

The sad part is that the freezing issue was reported in beta and they still went forward.

FX4

Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:51 am

I don't disagree at all, this forum is where you really get support but I think the average user runs into a problem and calls support. Support reads a script and if the problem does not fall into the script and a lot of problems don't the user is just left frustrated and scratching their head.

On that note I have to say I have just grown used to Roku's quirks too. I have recently acquired several Android devices and while not 100% problem free I do actually find the overall user experience better. The first was the Nvidia Shield, it got such rave reviews from users I had to try it out. The second is a new Sony X930C and the Android OS just works really well once you get everything set up.
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

vnazario

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:03 am

knuckle wrote:
ahh phone support ... glad I never had to use it but as for 7.0 it hit some units harder than others -- my 2400/2500 s were barely affected and once we were informed to turn off menu sounds it was a non-issue the biggest problem I saw was in Plex's buggy performance ... for owners of the 2XS I am sure it was much more bothersome and as for the R4 ... one of the advantages of being on a fixed income is that by the time you have saved up to buy "the next big thing" they have worked out all the bugs ... I imagine 4K is on my to do list in 2018 or so ... :)

And Basil makes a very good point and I too would like to extend a huge heartfelt thankyou to the folk on this forum -- they have provided more help to me than all the extended warranties and service contracts one could purchase ever could

Hello Basil, Knuckle, Voldemort (and everyone else):

First off, really kind words expressed about forum members that contribute and provide assistance. With that said, my feelings regarding Roku are somewhere in between Voldemort's and Basils. Guys, you must all agree that the 2 XS model which was once the top of the line model working great has been crippled (not once, but at least twice) by buggy/incompatible firmware updates and at least for the first snafu, it took many months to make it stable again, only to mess it up again just a few months later with another FW update. Bottom line, nobody wants to have their boxes lock up and freeze in the middle of enjoying a show or movie.

I personally was fine with just rebooting my unit before watching and that was OK but after it being "fixed" and then back to the same situation is certainly a downer. Clearly, Roku's QA processes (if any) really stink and should be revised. As far as phone support and Roku moderator support, you often get ignored or only get occasional vague responses. I'd rather wait a longer period to have a working update than to have a "rushed" (and extremely buggy) firmware update that really didn't introduce new features to my box (unless you consider sudden reboots a feature :twisted: ).

As far as Roku 4, IMO terrible product that was also "rushed" and little to no QA applied. What happened to the beta testing of this? Seriously, Roku? You never got wind of fan, heating and other issues during beta testing? Doubtful.

Now with the good:

It seems that some Roku models are better than others and it seems the Roku 3, HDMI stick, New 2, Old 2 and 1/SE are the "safer" choices (although bugs are present on some of these as well, just not as evident like on the 2 XS and 4 models).

I am slowly favoring my customized Android TV/Kodi boxes over Roku since they don't lock up and perform better. However, for reasons I can't explain, I still use my Roku's more than my other boxes. At least, to me, the "feeling/TV experience" is better with Roku. My other boxes feel more like a computer than a "cable box" so maybe that's why. For everyday use, I use Roku and whatever I can't access via Roku, I switch to Android TV/Kodi.

Maybe others can chime in and maybe disagree with me on this, but at least I feel I am being fair and pointing out true facts about Roku's lack of proper QA implementations. I want Roku to succeed but they need to improve on this and customer retention will be in decline if they don't work on this. Enough said.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Basil

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:04 am

twiceover wrote:
Basil wrote:

The sad part is that the freezing issue was reported in beta and they still went forward.

That's unfortunate to hear. I don't know and haven't communicated with anyone who was involved with beta testing the second-generation devices ... until just now, apparently. I certainly hope Roku learns from that. I also hope the v7.1 testing on second generation boxes goes (or is going) well.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

Basil

Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:09 am

vnazario:

Well put and something to be well-considered. As always, I appreciate your comments and experience.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous: