Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Tecmo SB Guy
Topic Author

Is it okay to have my Roku placed on the carpet long term?

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:45 pm

Hi. I wanted to get your guys' opinion on this.

Sometimes, when my HDTV is being used by somebody else in the household, I move my Roku 3 to another room that has a desktop monitor with an HDMI input. I don't really have enough room on the desk that the monitor, hard drive, keyboard and mouse are on. So I was thinking of just placing it on the carpet.

Is it safe to put the Roku on the carpet long term? Or would that be a bad idea and harm the Roku?

dfgsrzwer

Re: Is it okay to have my Roku placed on the carpet long ter

Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:48 pm

I wouldn't do that with mine, but that is because my apartment is floor-heated...

My Roku has no vents on the bottom, so I don't see why placement should matter (unless someone steps on it or the cable is too short).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:27 am

I'd put it on a book or tablet or whatever else is handy that's hard just to be safe, especially if it's a Roku4.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

Billy T Kidd

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:13 am

I own a few small-ish electronic A/V components and have always found that placing the device on a hard surface is better than placing it on a carpet,especially if the carpet has a thick "pile".Have found devices run warmer,sometimes Much warmer (even Hot sometimes) when placed on carpet.
IMO carpet,because of the way it's made,has a lot of dead air spaces in it created by the "weave" of the carpet..The dead air spaces act much the same way as the dead air spaces in thermal underwear act.
The spaces collect/retain heat, but not disperse it very well.A hard object like a table collects heat,but it also reflects/radiates heat into the air much faster than dead air spaces do.Thus a device placed on a table will tend to stay cooler than on a carpet.