Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

WardFamily
Topic Author

CBS Live Part

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:30 pm

I signed up for CBS ALL Access and according to my Kindle locals are available, but won't work on Roku. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!
http://lindenalabama.net

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: CBS Live Part

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:37 pm

WardFamily wrote:
I signed up for CBS ALL Access and according to my Kindle locals are available, but won't work on Roku. Anyone else have this issue? Thanks!

Depends on your local affiliate. I would call the local CBS station and verify they are streaming on All Access.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:30 pm

You could also check the CBS All Access Website. http://www.cbs.com/live-tv/

Or, go to http://cbs.com/account/faq, select the CBS All Access category, and look for the question "Where is Live TV available?"

Not all stations are playing along.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

bvd1022

Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:12 pm

WardFamily wrote:

I have no problem using CBS All Access on my Roku, but for some odd/illogical reason CBS All Access is only available on second generation Fire TV devices. I have a first generation Fire TV that is a little more than a year old and despite seeing an advertisement for CBS All Access in the apps store on my Fire TV, it comes up with an incompatible app error message when I try to add it to my apps on that device. Could be a blunder on both CBS and Amazon's end, if I didn't have a Roku and didn't have a satellite dish to access local programming/news content in case of emergencies weather related, I wouldn't be too happy if I had only my Fire TV to go on. Beyond that as I have said in other threads on this forum, CBS All Access is a good backup option for your local CBS affiliate in the event that you cannot access it via traditional means. Being a DirecTV subscriber, the biggest thing I have to worry about is weather related issues. Hope one day it becomes possible for me to go strictly OTT, seeing the money I would save makes me look forward to that day, but given that I am a sports writer for now I have to stick with DirecTV, but I look forward to the day where expensive bundled channel packages and overpriced pay-per-view content (I'm a Boxing writer) is a thing of the past. Far as CBS, hopefully they get their act together regarding Fire TV. I don't really care about the Grammys, but I like to have access to as much content as possible regardless of what device I use. Best of luck to you.

vnazario

Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:51 pm

bvd1022 wrote:
WardFamily wrote:

I have no problem using CBS All Access on my Roku, but for some odd/illogical reason CBS All Access is only available on second generation Fire TV devices. I have a first generation Fire TV that is a little more than a year old and despite seeing an advertisement for CBS All Access in the apps store on my Fire TV, it comes up with an incompatible app error message when I try to add it to my apps on that device. Could be a blunder on both CBS and Amazon's end, if I didn't have a Roku and didn't have a satellite dish to access local programming/news content in case of emergencies weather related, I wouldn't be too happy if I had only my Fire TV to go on. Beyond that as I have said in other threads on this forum, CBS All Access is a good backup option for your local CBS affiliate in the event that you cannot access it via traditional means. Being a DirecTV subscriber, the biggest thing I have to worry about is weather related issues. Hope one day it becomes possible for me to go strictly OTT, seeing the money I would save makes me look forward to that day, but given that I am a sports writer for now I have to stick with DirecTV, but I look forward to the day where expensive bundled channel packages and overpriced pay-per-view content (I'm a Boxing writer) is a thing of the past. Far as CBS, hopefully they get their act together regarding Fire TV. I don't really care about the Grammys, but I like to have access to as much content as possible regardless of what device I use. Best of luck to you.

Hello:

If you have a first generation Fire TV that gives you "incompatible app" messages, you may try to side-load the app instead of loading them via the App store. If you load the app first on your Android phone/tablet and then install it to your 1st gen FTV using the "Apps2Fire" app you should be good to go and overcome this "limitation" of first generation FTV devices.

Hope this tip helps you and others.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

bvd1022

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:10 pm

vnazario wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
WardFamily wrote:

Hello:

If you have a first generation Fire TV that gives you "incompatible app" messages, you may try to side-load the app instead of loading them via the App store. If you load the app first on your Android phone/tablet and then install it to your 1st gen FTV using the "Apps2Fire" app you should be good to go and overcome this "limitation" of first generation FTV devices.

At the risk of potential ridicule, I will admit I don’t know anything about side-loading apps. Although I am very familiar with OTT technology, there are still some parts where my mind is back in the 80s (Where it often belongs) and I have to admit from time to time that I am ignorant when it comes to certain aspects of technology, but I am more than willing to learn. I will also admit that I will soon be getting my first cell phone after being a stubborn hold out for many years so, I will have to learn more about technology that for now I am somewhat unfamiliar with. If you have some tutorials on side-loading please PM them to me. It would be nice if I could get Vudu on my Fire TV as well, but that’s a different issue.

Thanks

vnazario

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:46 pm

bvd1022 wrote:
vnazario wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
WardFamily wrote:

Hello:

At the risk of potential ridicule, I will admit I don’t know anything about side-loading apps. Although I am very familiar with OTT technology, there are still some parts where my mind is back in the 80s (Where it often belongs) and I have to admit from time to time that I am ignorant when it comes to certain aspects of technology, but I am more than willing to learn. I will also admit that I will soon be getting my first cell phone after being a stubborn hold out for many years so, I will have to learn more about technology that for now I am somewhat unfamiliar with. If you have some tutorials on side-loading please PM them to me. It would be nice if I could get Vudu on my Fire TV as well, but that’s a different issue.

Thanks

Hello bvd1022:

You can certainly side load Vudu and most Android apps onto the Fire TV. However, apps that are not "designed for TV" may not work with the FTV remote. You will need to pair a Bluetooth "Airmouse" or remote app like "Wukong Remote" to be able to navigate and control the apps interface.

As far as tutorials and procedures just go to Youtube. There are many tutorials on how to side load app onto the Fire TV, Nexus Player and other Android based streaming devices. Some methods are easier than others but a breakdown like this will help:

1. Via apps like "Apps2Fire"
2. ADB fire (From PC to FTV)
3. Via cloud service (You will need ES File Explorer and a Dropbox, Google Drive, etc).
4. Via direct download (If you have a web browser installed and you find the *.apk file you want to install).

It is a good idea to look for *.apk repository websites and installing a third-party App store to your device also helps (Aptoid and Black Market app stores).

Once you learn how to overcome navigation, browser and side loading it is just a matter of finding the best Android apps to use your device to its max potential. If you get a FTV console (instead of stick), Nexus Player or other Android TV console box with USB port, it will be easier to add keyboards, Gaming controllers, Memory cards, webcams and other devices for an even better experience. I highly recommend purchasing a powered USB hub device and add this to your Android TV console.

Youtube has all this information. Good luck. Hope this information helps.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps