Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Tune In support is useless?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:26 am

Sometimes it works, but not tonight. It buffered for about 10 minutes before it played anything even though I have a good internet connection. I clicked "report a problem" which leads to "help". "Help" just says to go to tunein.com/support. Well, their "support" is useless. You can search for a topic but you won't find it.

Does "report a problem" really report a problem to anyone?

Now I'm timing it with a stopwatch as I switch channels. 1 to 3.5 full minutes is a ridiculously long time to buffer a streaming radio channel.

rwhewitt

Re: Tune In support is useless?

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:19 pm

Same issue here. Buffering takes too long. I did some investigating in the Channel Store. Seems TUNEIN channel developer in Nowhereman. I think he is a member of this forum. Might search around the forum and then send him a private message. Hope this helps. BTW TUNEIN is also available as an ipad app. That app can chromecast to your tv if you have chromecast installed. The Apple app for TUNEIN starts up with a fraction of the delay you are experiencing.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:09 pm

RokuChris = NoWhereman.

I haven't seen him post since November. So either he's taking a break or Roku has him busy with other projects that prevents him from being on the Forum. They did note the Channels published under his "NoWhereMan" name would suffer in speediness of support/development because of his Roku employment.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

rwhewitt

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:34 pm

Update: In my previous post I mentioned that as an alternative TUNEIN had a Chromecast function. I spoke too soon. TUNEIN Chromecast feature appears to be broken. Any selected stream activates a dialog box stating the stream is incompatible with Chromecasting. I have tried several streams with similar results. In addition, many stations are as slow to play on the app as on ROKU. I tried to email the TUNEIN developers but the link to their webpage was also broken. Looks like TUNEIN Is on the decline.

belltown

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:10 am

The TuneIn buffering problem has been going on for a very long time with no response from Roku or the TuneIn developer. They must have better things to work on.

I just posted in the Time to Scrub the Channel Store thread. I have a feeling that Spotify will be next, given their ongoing troubles.
https://github.com/belltown/

dupondt

Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:59 am

Hi folks,

Tunein is just an aggregator of radio stations and their corresponding streams. Whether or not a station's stream will work on a specific device, how long it takes to buffer and when it starts to play is beyond the control of Tunein and the channel developer. All three aspects, however, will be influenced by the stream handling capabilities of the device.

To analyse your specific issues, one has to know exactly which stations you were trying to play.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

kbd48

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:36 am

iHeart Radio has been stable for me on Roku. Might give it a try.

belltown

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:27 am

dupondt wrote:
Hi folks,

Tunein is just an aggregator of radio stations and their corresponding streams. Whether or not a station's stream will work on a specific device, how long it takes to buffer and when it starts to play is beyond the control of Tunein and the channel developer. All three aspects, however, will be influenced by the stream handling capabilities of the device.

To analyse your specific issues, one has to know exactly which stations you were trying to play.

Greetings
dupondt

The Roku firmware, specifically the audio playing functionality of the roAudioPlayer and roVideoPlayer components, has a long-standing bug that will often cause live audio streams to buffer for an interminably long time. The bug has been around a long time, has been reported several times in the developer forums, and has been experienced by many developers, including myself, who have verified that there was nothing wrong the audio being streamed. That's on Roku to fix.

A couple of workarounds have been proposed in the developer forums, with varying degrees of success. Some channels appear to have worked around the bug, and stream audio without the long delay. That's on TuneIn to implement.
https://github.com/belltown/

rwhewitt

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Further Update:
Apple App Store offers two versions of TUNEIN. There is the free basic TUNEIN and the paid version offering recording capability called TUNEIN PRO. The free version was updated Jan 2016, offers Chromecasting that works. The paid version was updated Sep 2015, and Chromecasting is broken. I used Twitter to contact TUNEIN. They asked me to send email to support@tunein.com. I have. Using the basic version, buffering time averages 15-30 seconds. I would prefer that the ROKU channel was as responsive and share everyone's frustrations, but this appears to be an alternative in the meantime.