Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

cbraxton
Topic Author

Roku TV - any plan for OTA program guide?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:29 pm

We recently purchased a TCL Roku TV (model 28S375) to replace an old analog CRT set that died. We were using a digital converter box for over-the-air broadcast stations plus a Roku box for Netflix, etc.

The new TV is great, actually pretty amazing for the price, but it lacks a desirable feature for watching broadcast TV - there is no extended program guide. (At least I can't find one and it's not mentioned in the manual downloaded from TCL.) Our Digitalstream converter box could display programming information for each station covering a span of several hours, which was very convenient. The Roku TV only displays the current program.

Any idea if a feature like this is in the works? (I guess we could always connect the old converter box and use that, but it only outputs 480p and it just seems like an a**-backwards thing to do.)

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku TV - any plan for OTA program guide?

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:20 pm

https://owner.roku.com/Add/WHATSONCHANNEL <-- This is a TV Guide channel, doesn't automatically go to the station, but it works as a workaround.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

cbraxton
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:01 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
https://owner.roku.com/Add/WHATSONCHANNEL <-- This is a TV Guide channel, doesn't automatically go to the station, but it works as a workaround.

I'll definitely check that out, thanks!

renojim

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:42 pm

While "What's On" is an alternative, I'm really disappointed that the TV doesn't handle the OTA guide data any better than it does. It's sad when a device I purchased years ago is better in this regard than my TCL/RokuTV.

-JT

cbraxton
Topic Author

Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:52 pm

Yes, it is a major disappointment. I don't think I've seen another modern TV that didn't have a program guide, and my years-old converter boxes have a pretty decent one so I didn't even think about that when purchasing this set and wound up with a surprise. It's really the only thing that would stop me from recommending one of these to someone who watches a lot of broadcast TV.

The only other minor annoyances so far are lousy speakers - though that's pretty common on sets this size - and poorly located volume controls on the remote. Being along the right edge, I find myself constantly hitting the volume controls and mute button accidentally while holding the remote.

carsokk

Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:26 am

OK, this might be a solution for you, but it does complicate things a bit. Note that I plan on doing this but haven't yet. So, if anyone has actually done this or has a better idea, please chime in. You can get the Roku Channel NextPVR. Then load NextPVR on a PC on your home network. It looks like you open your NextPVR channel on your Roku, you will have a channel guide and you will be able to record OTA programs to your PC. If you watch live OTA programs through NextPVR, you will be able to pause programs as you watch them as well.
Last edited by carsokk on Sat Mar 19, 2016 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

vnazario

Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello:

The What's On channel is the only option available to display on the TV. However, if you use your smartphone/tablet as a remote you can watch a live TV guide by going to http://www.titantv.com

If you are using the Roku remote app or if you have your smartphone or tablet in the couch with you, this is another way to have an accessible TV guide for you to know what's on from OTA broadcast networks.

Hope this tip and information is helpful.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

philsoft

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:36 am

cbraxton wrote:
it lacks a desirable feature for watching broadcast TV - there is no extended program guide.

Although there is a substantial investment to get started there is a DVR that can be played through Roku that has a program guide
try https://www.tablotv.com