Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FredFredrickson

Re: Roku Billing not working

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:53 am

I can't imagine it's really taking weeks to fix this, I have money, why won't roku take it from me??

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:20 am

FredFredrickson wrote:
I can't imagine it's really taking weeks to fix this, I have money, why won't roku take it from me??

Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

philsoft

Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:07 am

FredFredrickson wrote:

Yeah, it seems like there is a definite lack of urgency, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

EnTerr

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:13 pm

philsoft wrote:
Yeah, it seems like there is a definite lack of urgency, which doesn't make a lot of sense.

Why the lack of urgency, I am starting to wonder?!

Is the cause strategic, e.g. because their business model is "venture capital" and not "sales", i.e. they don't depend on grinding every single day (sell-sell-sell or "ABC") - but instead of impressing investors with futuristic promises?

Or is the cause tactical, i.e. in principle top brass cares but DevOps can't be bothered fixing a mistake for 20 days now because nobody has ever been fired for incompetence at the Co. yet (uneducated guess)?

Or is it a third thing, that the cash stream from the Channel Store has always been so low, that RokuCo regards it as a "hobby" and not part of the business? I.e. in the big picture of things people virtually don't buy digital content on Roku so having a thriving content sales is not seen as a priority.

Regardless of the reason, seems the conclusion is RokuCo does not give a tinker's dam about developers/publishers who want to sell digital content on Roku. Can you imagine the purchases of iTunes/AppStore or Google Play store being down for a whole day? How about a week? Or a month?

To me that's very sad news, realizing that as an indie developer i probably should not put all (or any?) my eggs in Roku's basket.

marcelo.cabral

Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:24 pm

EnTerr wrote:
Is the cause strategic, e.g. because their business model is "venture capital" and not "sales", i.e. they don't depend on grinding every single day (sell-sell-sell or "ABC") - but instead of impressing investors with futuristic promises?

Or is the cause tactical, i.e. in principle top brass cares but DevOps can't be bothered fixing a mistake for 20 days now because nobody has ever been fired for incompetence at the Co. yet (uneducated guess)?

Or is it a third thing, that the cash stream from the Channel Store has always been so low, that RokuCo regards it as a "hobby" and not part of the business? I.e. in the big picture of things people virtually don't buy digital content on Roku so having a thriving content sales is not seen as a priority.

Regardless of the reason, seems the conclusion is RokuCo does not give a tinker's dam about developers/publishers who want to sell digital content on Roku. Can you imagine the purchases of iTunes/AppStore or Google Play store being down for a whole day? How about a week? Or a month?

To me that's very sad news, realizing that as an indie developer i probably should not put all (or any?) my eggs in Roku's basket.

I don't believe on any of these options, they advertise the # of channels available as one of the biggest competitive advantage of Roku over the competition, and not helping their own users to have access to those channels is not wise (to be polite) and simply leave the developers/partners without any helpful information is also not a good strategy.

I really can't understand what's going on there.

belltown

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:36 pm

They're probably all busy working on the Next Big Thing.

With over a million players sold and only 201-500 employees, Roku is a small company that may not have the resources to keep their current product-lines and infrastructure maintained, while under pressure to keep up with the competition and keep innovating. In this business, schedules and deadlines aren't about producing the best, trouble-free product for their customers; rather, it's a matter of not getting overtaken by everyone else.

I've always imagined the Roku offices to be a very chaotic environment with everyone trying their best to get their stuff done, but with many tasks not getting finished as a result of lack of resources (channel submission approvals, front-end web site issues, back-end web site/billing issues, developer support, documentation updates, bugs that have been around for years, etc, etc).

I don't think that not fixing the Channel Store is part of any "strategy". It may just be that there's no time for a strategy, other than get that Next Big Thing done because that's where the next big source of revenue that's needed to sustain the company is coming from.
https://github.com/belltown/

philsoft

Wed Mar 23, 2016 7:38 am

belltown wrote:
I don't think that not fixing the Channel Store is part of any "strategy". It may just be that there's no time for a strategy, other than get that Next Big Thing done because that's where the next big source of revenue that's needed to sustain the company is coming from.

That seems like a pretty sad state of affairs if that is true. I have moved on to something else now. I still have my Roku's hooked up, but I have added an Amazon Fire TV box and Playstation Vue service, so now I don't have a need to buy a "Theme" for Roku. The only reason I even LOOKED at the Fire TV was this Lackadaisical approach from Roku, and if I am looking elsewhere I find it virtually impossible to believe that I am the only one... Disappointing.

snarler

Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:31 am

philsoft wrote:
I have moved on to something else now. I still have my Roku's hooked up, but I have added an Amazon Fire TV box and Playstation Vue service, so now I don't have a need to buy a "Theme" for Roku. The only reason I even LOOKED at the Fire TV was this Lackadaisical approach from Roku, and if I am looking elsewhere I find it virtually impossible to believe that I am the only one... Disappointing.

The *only* reason I haven't totally gotten rid of my Roku and replaced it with a Fire TV or simply using the PS4 that's on the same TV is the Roku's search is so much nicer and more inclusive than anything I've seen on the other devices I've personally had experience with. Everything else I care about doing is available through the other boxes. Even my beloved Instant Watch Browser seems to be in disarray at the moment and not really usable on my Roku.

chaoflux

Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:14 pm

What a bunch of jerks!

Just spent 2 hours with tech support going over this problem. They had me defaulting all my rokus, updating, powering off/on , hard defaults.....and it's there problem. They have no record of an issue.

BS

EnTerr

Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:55 pm

chaoflux wrote:
What a bunch of jerks!
Just spent 2 hours with tech support going over this problem. They had me defaulting all my rokus, updating, powering off/on , hard defaults.....and it's there problem. They have no record of an issue.

Ha-ha, it's your fault for buying a Roku!
Not really funny though :|. Don't try fixing it on your side - only the Co can fix it on their servers.

RokuCo has not fessed up to the issue yet, if they did - it will be listed on top of https://support.roku.com/ .
It's been 3 weeks since this started. App developers who see the things "from the other side" confirm - purchase transactions have dried up since then. It's quite clear the constipation is in the middle man, RokuCo. "Can we trust them with our money?" - i think is a fair question for an intermediary who for 3 weeks doesn't notice having a financial "bowel obstruction"^ - nor goes to the ER.

(^) Possible complications include ischemia, necrosis, perforation, peritonitis, sepsis and death :P

Artex

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:23 am

Any updates on this one? Tried buying/activating a channel for a few days with no luck, and then I found this thread. Disappointing to say the least...

matrixebiz

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:18 am

Is this issue only happening with one time purchase channels or is it happening to subscription based channels as well?

Artex

Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:36 am

matrixebiz wrote:
Is this issue only happening with one time purchase channels or is it happening to subscription based channels as well?

I'm trying to purchase Picta for OneDrive. I haven't tried on others, but their support team indicated this is the same issue that has been reported by other users, and for other apps as well.
https://channelstore.roku.com/details/4 ... r-onedrive