Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

ronfelder
Topic Author

Roku equivalent

Sat Mar 05, 2016 3:41 pm

When one buys a hdtv such as TCL or the other brands of TV's with a Rou built into the device what model type is the Roku that they use? Ex. Do they install a Roku 3 inside the tv? Does the model number of Roku depend on what brand of tv you buy?
Roku 2100x, (2) Roku2 3100x ,Roku 2720X .FIOS Quantum modem router, Verizon FIOS 50/50, LG HDTV 42LH90, Pioneer VSX-920 Audio/Video Multi Channel Receiver

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku equivalent

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:12 pm

The hardware in the TVs is specific for TV models; that is, it's not the same as in any of the Roku set top boxes. The software is basically the same as on set top boxes, with some enhancement to support TV-specific functionality.

--Mark

Darnell

Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:24 pm

TVs with Roku that I've seen mention the type, said a Roku Stick. Like this listing.

I would doubt a TV has a Roku 3 built in, unless it also has a MicroSD card slot, like the Roku 3.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

I suspect the question means more along the line of processor speed and memory, with the goal being trying to determine what is the equivalent experience. For instance, I have a Rku 2 XS, a Roku HDMI Streaming Stick, and a Roku 3. The Roku 3 is, by far, the most responsive. The menus load notably faster. The Roku Stick and Roku 2 XS are, it seems to me, roughly equivalent in speed and responsiveness, and, apart from the version of Netflix (2 XS has the old version, Stick has the current) the experience is similar. I prefer the Roku 3 (or Roku 2) experience.

And, if that's not a good reading of the question, consider it mine. To which Roku device is the experience most similar?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

dfgsrzwer

Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:13 am

Basil wrote:
The Roku Stick and Roku 2 XS are, it seems to me, roughly equivalent in speed and responsiveness

That's because they have the same processors inside (BCM2835 600MHz, though the Stick has twice the memory).
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

DBDukes

Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:32 am

Darnell wrote:
TVs with Roku that I've seen mention the type, said a Roku Stick. Like this listing.

I would doubt a TV has a Roku 3 built in, unless it also has a MicroSD card slot, like the Roku 3.

That's not a Roku TV. That's a TV with the older Roku Stick, model 3400/3420. It plugs into the MHL port (HDMI2 on that model). Roku called them "Roku Ready" as does this listing.

Roku TV doesn't have an external stick plugged into the back of it. The Roku components/software is built into the set.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

mike_ekim

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:35 am

I have a Roku TV (TCL 55", black friday woot!) and it's not quite as fast as my Roku 3 when loading channels. When using the home screen for searches etc, or once inside a channel, it seems just as fast as my Roku 3.

kc8pql
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:04 am

RokuMarkn wrote:
The hardware in the TVs is specific for TV models; that is, it's not the same as in any of the Roku set top boxes. The software is basically the same as on set top boxes, with some enhancement to support TV-specific functionality.

--Mark

I believe what mark is saying here is that the TV manufacturers provide their own hardware, Roku provides the software package.
There's no Roku device built into the Roku TVs.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
No, I don't work for Roku.
Netflix Player N1000X, XDS 2100X (premature death by lightning)
Roku2 XD 3050X, Roku2 XS 3100R, Roku2 4210R

mike_ekim

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:34 am

For anyone still interested...

This thread shows the internals of a TCL Roku TV: http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76151&start=105
Notice there are three primary boards: The power supply (yellow, center) the wifi card (lower right in the photo) and the Roku internals (left in the photo). There is often a driver board, I'm not sure if it is hidden from view or if it varies by model number. And there are a few boards for things like the IR sensor.

Regarding the Roku internals: The inputs (HDMI, Coax TV etc), tuner, video processor that sends a signal to the screen are all incorporated on single circuit board and those features are not found on a stand-alone Roku box. The HDMI output is missing. The board is too big to fit in a Roku. These features show us that the hardware found in a Roku TV was purposefully built for a Roku TV. It is not a stand-alone Roku placed in a TV.

This thread shows the internals of a Roku LT board: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2384435&page=2

I could not embed the images, too many pixels.