Topic Author

CBS Expects to Make $800 Million from OTT

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:18 pm

There's gold in them there streams...

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/news/c ... ott/154668

twiceover

Re: CBS Expects to Make $800 Million from OTT

Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:47 pm

Not with their current manure of an app. Little back catalog + commercials for a monthly fee? Piss off.

Darnell

Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:15 pm

The link in the OP, is so full of pop-up ads, it's not readable for me.

This article from Variety is easier to read.

That $800 million, is a combination of CBS All Access and Showtime. I think we know most of that probably came from Showtime. CBS does not offer separated numbers now and says they will at some point.

When they do offer separate numbers, I wonder whether they will say how many of the CBS All Access customers are on a "free trial" and beyond the first month of paying.

I would never recommend any pay for CBS All Access. As was mentioned, ads, slim catalog. It's a joke they ask people to pay money for it.

Foolish Hulu Fanboy

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:24 am

I have an ad-blocker in my browser, so I was able to read the OP's link. It says CBS expects to make $400 million from CBS All-access and $400 million from Showtime. I agree the former number is unrealistic in CBS All-Access's current form, although Showtime's number is probably plausible. For CBS All-Access to take off they will need to bring the price down, get rid of commercial, and/or add a ton of additional original exclusive content (in addition to what's already available OTA). They are doing a little of the last option by making Star Trek exclusive to All-Access, but they won't be able to keep many subscribers at the current price with only one show. Now, if they had 30 original shows a year, in addition to their OTA content and backcatalog, it might be a better option. OTT is a much more competitive marketplace than cable; it requires providers give more at a lower price point and accept a lower rate of profit than the monopolistic markets cable channels are used to operating in. As older linear channels try to transition into OTT apps many will probably try to maintain their higher profit margins by charging more than the market will bear (as CBS is doing). Their apps will have difficulty taking off until they realize they have to compete on price. IMO, it would have been better if CBS had simply purchased part of Hulu like the other broadcast networks instead of launching their own overpriced app.

philsoft
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:39 am

Foolish Hulu Person of Good Streaming Taste wrote:
It says CBS expects to make $400 million from CBS All-access and $400 million from Showtime. I agree the former number is unrealistic in CBS All-Access's current form

I suspect the number of subscribers to CBS all access goes up in the Spring when the Big Brother Live feeds are available. I personally subscribe only when those feeds are available, then I unsubscribe after the season ends.

DarkJedi

Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:53 am

Foolish Hulu Person of Good Streaming Taste wrote:
I have an ad-blocker in my browser, so I was able to read the OP's link. It says CBS expects to make $400 million from CBS All-access and $400 million from Showtime. I agree the former number is unrealistic in CBS All-Access's current form, although Showtime's number is probably plausible. For CBS All-Access to take off they will need to bring the price down, get rid of commercial, and/or add a ton of additional original exclusive content (in addition to what's already available OTA). They are doing a little of the last option by making Star Trek exclusive to All-Access, but they won't be able to keep many subscribers at the current price with only one show. Now, if they had 30 original shows a year, in addition to their OTA content and backcatalog, it might be a better option. OTT is a much more competitive marketplace than cable; it requires providers give more at a lower price point and accept a lower rate of profit than the monopolistic markets cable channels are used to operating in. As older linear channels try to transition into OTT apps many will probably try to maintain their higher profit margins by charging more than the market will bear (as CBS is doing). Their apps will have difficulty taking off until they realize they have to compete on price. IMO, it would have been better if CBS had simply purchased part of Hulu like the other broadcast networks instead of launching their own overpriced app.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Darnell

Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:48 am

Is Ad revenue from the CBSN channel reported anywhere? I'd suspect that makes them a good bit from ads.

Maybe CBS All Access can hit $400 million, if they find $100 million paying subscribers (chuckle) and the other $300 million from the many ads in the CBS All Access app :lol: .

Heyitsrick
Topic Author

Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:37 am

Darnell wrote:
Is Ad revenue from the CBSN channel reported anywhere? I'd suspect that makes them a good bit from ads.

Maybe CBS All Access can hit $400 million, if they find $100 million paying subscribers (chuckle) and the other $300 million from the many ads in the CBS All Access app :lol: .

It's weird that I can't recall seeing any ads on CBSN in the times I've watched it. There's just been placeholder graphics for "Back shortly" or some such where ad blocks would go when watching. I have been watching on the AppleTV lately, so maybe that stream doesn't have ads?

Darnell

Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:30 pm

Heyitsrick wrote:
Darnell wrote:

It's weird that I can't recall seeing any ads on CBSN in the times I've watched it. There's just been placeholder graphics for "Back shortly" or some such where ad blocks would go when watching. I have been watching on the AppleTV lately, so maybe that stream doesn't have ads?

Must be due to your location. Some of the ads I get on CBSN are for local companies and services. But I get some national ads too. Last year, I used to see no ads too and over time I started getting them.