Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

carsokk
Topic Author

How to watch live Xfinity TV streaming/Xfitity TV Go on Roku

Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:54 pm

Hi.

I am watching Xfinity online Streaming and Xfinity On Demand on my Roku via Playon. Its functionality is very similar tp the Xfinity TV Go app that you can get on a IOS or Android Device. It works very well. The big strength of Playon is the ability to watch and RECORD this and several other channels. The weakness of Playon is their Media Player functionality. It's OK, but not great. So, I was wondering if anyone knows of any other ways of watching Xfinity TV streaming/Xfitity TV Go on Roku? I would like to check out other alternatives.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Re: How to watch live Xfinity TV streaming/Xfitity TV Go on

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:43 am

Because it is xfinity's property they would have to make an official app for Roku -- outside of asking them to do it I do not know of any other way
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

vnazario

Sat Mar 19, 2016 4:53 am

Hello:

Maybe you can try using the screen mirroring function of your Roku (assuming you have a model that supports screen mirroring). It may work but it is my experience that mirroring could be slow and unreliable. Sometimes audio gets out of sync with the video or the stream is a bit slow. Another alternative I could think of could be via Slingbox player from your cable box to Roku via the Sling player app. Sling player app for Roku is like a screen "casting" receiver. You will need an Android/iOS to do the casing but video/audio performance is better via "casting" than via screen mirroring IMO.

Hope these tips help in some way.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

Basil

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:26 am

The official Xfinity TV Go app for iOS doesn't have casting capabilities built in. It can only be mirrored via the OS to Apple TV (the swipe-up > AirPlay feature).

Unless and until Comcast creates a Roku app, or updates the iOS app with casting features, like the iOS app for Netflix has, you're out of luck.

Now, I can't speak to Android or Windows devices that might support mirroring. Others can address that.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Rcosta

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:06 am

Does anyone have any knowledge if Xfinity is even considering making a Roku application?

I would assume that someone in Roku would know, but that information would be kept confidential.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

knuckle

Sat Mar 19, 2016 11:11 am

I suggested it in their forums some time back ... they were not interested in it at that time
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Foolish Hulu Fanboy

Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:30 pm

Comcast wants you to buy their cable box, not use a Roku as a replacement. They think they made god's gift to cable boxes, and want to get their money's worth out of it.

Rcosta

Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:06 pm

I am confused. If someone has a Xfinity X1 box in their home in addition to a Roku box, then what is the advantage of an Infinity channel unless you are NOT at home and traveling with your Roku, then you can enjoy the content provided by Comcast while on the road. Is that the reason for this app?
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

Basil

Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:12 am

Rcosta wrote:
Does anyone have any knowledge if Xfinity is even considering making a Roku application?

I would assume that someone in Roku would know, but that information would be kept confidential.

https://blog.roku.com/blog/2016/04/20/c ... -platform/
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

ladybug2535

Re: How to watch live Xfinity TV streaming/Xfitity TV Go on Roku

Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 pm

I was reading a Comcast forum that was discussing a Roku Xfinity app currently in development.  It was supposed to come out in April of 2016!  Then Comcast pushed it to Fall of 2016, etc.  I read that there was one in Beta testing.  T

he kicker is though, according to the Comcast employees who would respond on the thread, is that Comcast plans to tie the channel to their own internet.  Apparently if you don't buy your internet from them you won't be able to access the Xfinity channel on Roku.  You also won't be able to watch it on Roku anywhere else using your own log in info.  I am assuming this will be separate from the current app that is currently available but not on Roku.  Obviously Comcast hasn't learned anything and is still way behind technologically.  They also have no plans for removing their streaming caps, and continue to favor their own programming over the competition.  Our court systems and the FCC need to get with the program!  

andyross

Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:05 am

The Xfinity Roku App was ANNOUNCED in April, during the brouhaha about cable box rentals, with an estimated release by the end of the year. With the Trump administration now in power, and the new FCC leader a firm hater of the FCC itself, the app will most likely never be released.

ATL_7777

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:06 pm

I have xFinity I find that they disallow many things like casting, some channels are also not available for streaming outside of the STB (even in my own house) so it appears Comcast / xFinity is very restrictive of their content.

Best thing I can say is get the app for the content you want to watch, such as Lethal Weapon is on FOX so to stream that show, you need the FOX app.  I am about 95% of shows using this, and its tedious at first but the good thing is since Roku has all of these apps, its better than xFinity app (in my opinion) because you can bypass commercials.. xFinity still wants to inject adds, which I can't stand.

ATL_7777

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:11 pm

Basil wrote:
The official Xfinity TV Go app for iOS doesn't have casting capabilities built in. It can only be mirrored via the OS to Apple TV (the swipe-up > AirPlay feature).

Unless and until Comcast creates a Roku app, or updates the iOS app with casting features, like the iOS app for Netflix has, you're out of luck.

Interesting that mirroring is allowed because connecting HDMI using iPad cable directly does not.  I don't even have my STB plugged in. The app tells me it's not allowed, so it's not a bug its preventing me from doing it..
I love xfinity the internet SERVICE not the CABLE, its the same old Comcast.. but the Internet works it's fast, no lag, no problems always get a solid 90 mbps.. but I think Comcast isn't going to change their hold on video and on deman content, luckily I can just use the apps for Roku (which is why I bought it) and I skip using xfinity software all together.

ATL_7777

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:16 pm

andyross wrote:
The Xfinity Roku App was ANNOUNCED in April, during the brouhaha about cable box rentals, with an estimated release by the end of the year. With the Trump administration now in power, and the new FCC leader a firm hater of the FCC itself, the app will most likely never be released.

Why does everyone blame Trump or the government for everything?  They have NOTHING to do with it.. Spectrum, Charter and even Time Warner allow The *SAME* content, so obviously its NOT a government restriction or a law, but its plainly COMCAST that doesn't want to do it..
If they PLANED to have it but didn't that's called a carrot.. which means Comcast had ZERO intention of releasing an app but they needed a way to retain customers by making them wait.. one day hoping that we would get what they promised (apparently) but this has ZERO to do with any government administration and Trump has only been in office for less than 12 hours, so give me a break.. stop spreading conspiracy theories.. 
Also FCC has ZERO to do with any of these companies.. cable companies are self governing... there is no authority over them since they are ALL private companies...
They cooperate with each other to keep their greed and hold on content as long as they can.. but thanks to Netflix things are changing.. 

ATL_7777

Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:32 pm

ladybug2535 wrote:
I was reading a Comcast forum that was discussing a Roku Xfinity app currently in development.  It was supposed to come out in April of 2016!  Then Comcast pushed it to Fall of 2016, etc.  I read that there was one in Beta testing.  T

The kicker is though, .  Our court systems and the FCC need to get with the program!  

Comcast won't let you do it for one simple reason, control.  they know if you can GET the content through a 3rd party it's only a matter of time until you can circumvent the security and download it.. Comcast apps go through a security proxy, so they would have to share this with 3rd party, not happening.. this lifetime.
FCC is communications, regulated services like Telephone, Cellular, radios and WiFi.. Cable and companies are NOT regulated, they hide behind "policy" but its of their own making so they can make the rules and then claim ignorance when people want those rules changed.. So FCC has ZERO to do with this decision..
Slingbox, Plex, and a bunch of others take your money and you pay the SAME amount you would with a cable box.
I pay 100 bucks a month my internet portion is 65.  If we use sling, Netflix, hulu and amazon.. that's at LEAST 50 bucks.. and you STILL need one of those cable providers to pay them for internet!

So I fail to understand why you would switch to a different provider with LESS channels.. I get ALL channels and HBO for basically 30 bucks.. and then you say "yeah but you signed a 2 year contract"...
sooo???
Today I am watching TV, tomorrow I will be watching TV, a year from now I will be watching TV, but I would rather know how much I am paying and I *KNOW* Comcast will be there tomorrow, hulu and sling have shaky futures to say the least, no way I am trusting either of those...

I pay 8 bucks for Netflix ok maybe 10.. but my TOTAL cable bill is 110, PERIOD not restrictions no black out dates, no "you can get all channels EXCEPT this or that" and I can skip and fast forward rewind.. all on demand, sling won't let you do this.. (that to me is insane to PAY for TV we had in the 70's.. just insane).. again sling SAYS this "feature is coming...".. yeah right like Comcast has an app on roku? LOL

Apps are already there Fox ABC, CBS, NBC.. I can watch them ALL except for TBS and 1 or 2 others but pretty much EVERY show I can watch NOW, don't care about re-runs but NO service is allow to show episodes if those episodes are not available anyway, so there is no difference.
The rest I can get on Netflix. only thing I am missing is sports.. yeah no thanks not paying 200 bucks just to watch football every Sunday.. again insane.. (besides Sports are better in a bar) LIVE tv is just that.. LIVE why are we watching TV in 2017?  I just don't get it.. you get dead space where a commercial is for 2 minutes and if you miss a moment oopsie.. no going back..
it makes no sense.. therefore I keep my cable it works GREAT, Comcast may not be perfect but they ARE the largest provider.. in the WORLD (more than Cox, Charter, Time warner combined), they aren't going anywhere.. So why pay anyone else?  Comcast is basically the SOURCE for all of those videos, and its the ONLY cable company that the networks trust at this point, since those deals have been in place for decades now...