Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackcows
Topic Author

Roku in an RV with Wireless Network and Power Down

Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:26 pm

I have an extra router laying around (Netgear N600) and I am thinking about setting up a little wireless network in my RV to use a Roku and Sonos. The router has a DNLA server built in with USB ports. If I install the router, plug in a USB hard drive and use a Roku streaming stick should this work? I guess my biggest concern is that the router, hard drive, and Roku will power on and off on a regular basis when the trailer is hooked to shore power and when it's unplugged. Should the router and roku retain their settings?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Re: Roku in an RV with Wireless Network and Power Down

Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:52 pm

There is currently a bug in the 7.x Roku firmware that prevents network connections at power-on if you power-on without a connection to the internet. If your router can connect to an internet though it would be enough. Other than that, the Roku should retain it's settings when powered off and back on. Once you are connected to the internet, you can lose the internet connection and the Roku will stay connected to your WAP. Being connected to the WAP should allow you to access a local DLNA server.