Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

meebzorp
Topic Author

CLOC Time and Weather Missing

Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:48 am

Since yesterday, the screensaver CLOC displays the time OK, but not the weather. I've tried a couple of known zip codes in different states... no luck.

So A) am I the only one with this problem and
B) if not, does anyone know how to contact the developer?

Thanks! :D

The Meebster

DubTaylor

Re: CLOC Time and Weather Missing

Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:06 am

meebzorp wrote:
Since yesterday, the screensaver CLOC displays the time OK, but not the weather. I've tried a couple of known zip codes in different states... no luck.

So A) am I the only one with this problem and
B) if not, does anyone know how to contact the developer?

Thanks! :D

I think you just did... same here.
If history is any indication it should be fixed shortly.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:40 am

I updated the private version last night. Make sure you have the latest; it should be v2.4 build 3. You can get the version (assuming you have v7.x firmware) by pressing the * button when you've highlighted LED Time & Weather (p) under Screensavers. There may be some kinks to work out. I had to switch to weather.gov and it appears that some locations do things differently. If the private version isn't working, please let me know the ZIP code so I can see what's happening. If you don't have the private version, you can add it here. If it appears everything is working ok over the weekend I'll submit the public version which will probably take a few days for Roku to approve and push out.

-JT

DubTaylor

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:54 am

I removed the public version, installed the Private channel and it's working fine now.

Thanks Jim.

Elijah_Baley

Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:16 am

renojim wrote:
...If it appears everything is working ok over the weekend I'll submit the public version which will probably take a few days for Roku to approve and push out.

-JT

That is real optimism!! Roku has become VERY unnecessarily slow and plodding in approving channels for a while. An update to Plex took weeks and I know of several others that were not even close to the "few days" time frame. That is unless Roku has reached out to the universe and changed the basic definition of "few" or altered time to make a "day" be a lot longer that it truly is.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

DubTaylor

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:17 am

^^ That's why I installed the private version. Seemed a great way to bypass some unnecessary downtime.

Schmye Bubbula

Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:45 am

renojim, can you make the secondary sample time's readout in 12-hr format? (Or perhaps make the latter also follow the user's choice for the main clock time in Display Options > Format.)
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

Ignats

Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Thank you so much for this update. I love being able to wake up and see the weather and time on my tv. :)

meebzorp
Topic Author

Sun Mar 27, 2016 5:41 pm

Thanks renojim!

I've noticed a bonus for weather geeks like me who turn on ALL info. I now see the wind gusts as in :

WNW 1mph G9

Cool!

Thanks again,

The Meebster

renojim

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:52 pm

I've noticed some areas provide gust info and others don't. I've also seen wind speed with and without direction, so what you get seems to be dependent on where you are.

-JT

renojim

Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:59 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
renojim, can you make the secondary sample time's readout in 12-hr format? (Or perhaps make the latter also follow the user's choice for the main clock time in Display Options > Format.)

I think the observation time, or timestamp, is kind of strange. Why use 24-hour format and then have am/pm? The entire string comes right from the report, but I'll massage the time portion into 12-hour format for those not using 24-hour format in the next update; just need to get past midnight EDT to make sure all is well.

Since no one has reported a problem, I'll submit the update to the public channel tonight.

-JT

Schmye Bubbula

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:54 am

renojim, would it be possible to switch to Accuweather.com or some other site that updates its weather data more frequently? I can see in my computer web browser how the present Weather.gov site's current conditions format makes it real easy to grab the numbers, but they apparently update the readings only once per hour (every six minutes before the hour). This causes very tardy readings when trying, e.g., to decide whether to put on a coat before going outside, etc.... When I visit the Accuweather website on my computer's web browser, they doesn't time stamp the update, but on my Android phone app Accuweather shows the update time, and it's much more frequently, always only a few minutes earlier than realtime. If you are able to find a service with more timely updates, I hope you'll also fetch the updates from CLOC every, say, 10 minutes (or make it user-configurable).
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

The Channel Guide

Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:42 am

renojim wrote:
If you don't have the private version, you can add it here -JT

Hi, Jim!

Would you mind extending the coverage of your 'CLOC' private channel to the UK, so Roku users on this side of the pond can check it out? :D

Many thanks in advance! :wink:

renojim

Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:29 pm

I'll respond to the last two posts with roughly the same answer:

It's tough to find free weather information (especially complete information over just the temperature). Most (all?) sources have terms that just don't work on a screen saver (like the requirement to link to a web page). I also prefer the simplicity of entering a postal code (ZIP code in the U.S.) for generating one's location. Sometimes you have to go through different gyrations to convert a ZIP code into a location that the service can use and sometimes it's easy and sometimes not so much. I haven't tried to get weather for anywhere outside the U.S. so I don't know how difficult it would be to come up with a simple method to enter a location.

Having said all that, I'm not real happy with the information weather.gov gives me for my location, so I may start looking for a better provider. This may result in fees of some sort and/or compromises; I just don't know.

-JT

Schmye Bubbula

Wed Apr 06, 2016 5:11 am

I, for one, would cheerfully pay a fee to get more timely temperature updates.
– –