Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thetick

Re: What's Wrong With Roku 4?

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:39 pm

barneypoo69 wrote:

There is a small Company that has over 400 employees with half in California & the other half in South Dakota. They are competing with the big boys like Sony, Samsung, LG, and others. Just recently they introduced a product that has the big boys attention.
That company is Vizio.
And no, I don't work for Vizio and don't own anything that they make. But their new 4K P series monitors that can display Dolby Digital and in 90 days will also display HDR 10 with firmware update for thousands less than Sony and Samsung......got my attention too.

So Roku should try to stay in the driver's seat and not ride off into the sunset. They have a good name and loyal customers. They offer a product line that is growing like crazy. Everyone has heard about Roku, keep it all good.

Everything you mentioned is meaningless when Roku puts out such a bad product like the Roku 4. I doubt Roku will even be relevant in a few years. Remember Blackberry's 50% of US cell phone market only just 7 years ago. Blackberry has 1% of cell phone market now and is irrelevant with cell phone hardware compared to Apple, Samsung and Google.
Last edited by thetick on Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

bond007taz

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:42 pm

i returned mine to the store because once it went to sleep, no matter whatever sleep/power/screensaver i changed it to, i had to power off the unit with the power cord and plug it back in, this really caused friction with the wife compared to our ROKU 3. I had numerous other issues with it, but this was the showstopper. I posted to these forums but these forums are like apple forums - they blame the user for the issues rather than the hardware. I just went back to my Roku 3 and I use it side by side with the Nvidia shield now.

thetick

Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:03 pm

bond007taz wrote:
I posted to these forums but these forums are like apple forums - they blame the user for the issues rather than the hardware.

I never blamed any Roku 4 user. The Roku 4 has always been complete crap and with today's technologies a bad hardware design does not fix itself.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

barneypoo69

Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:29 pm

thetick wrote:
bond007taz wrote:
I posted to these forums but these forums are like apple forums - they blame the user for the issues rather than the hardware.

I never blamed any Roku 4 user. The Roku 4 has always been complete crap and with today's technologies a bad hardware design does not fix itself.

Well, what do we have out there that can stream 4K ? The Fire TV, box, & stick cannot support WCG HDR and Amazon has a fued with Google and others so their product isn't neutral so you need another STB. I don't want a FireTV.
Granted I have just been a Roku customer for a few months, haven't had some of the problems others have/had. But I agree Roku made a big boo boo when they hurried the launch of the Roku 4. Not supporting 4k/24fps, address the heat this box generates, this is the 21st century and still can't figure out audio outputs---this is sad---. HDR 10 was finalized around Jan 2015. The powers at be decided sometime in the 1st quarter of 2015 that 4K info needs a different copy protection so they gave us HDCP2.2 so that just put a monkee wrench in all of us that had 1 year old gear or older....up a creek.
Roku hurried the 4 before the dust had settled a little more. And it would be nice if a Roku engineer rep/someone in-the-know would chime in now & then.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

RockYou

Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:18 am

Biggest problem: all of us who *don't* have a 4 have to put up with the firmware updates being designed primarily for the 4, which have essentially reduced all of my older Rokus to crap units with continuous issues. I used to be happy with the several I've purchased. Now, I'll never buy another one.

Rcosta

Sun May 29, 2016 7:52 pm

If updates are targeted toward fixing specific issues on specific Roku products, I would assume that it is easier for Roku to design a firmware for all of their products versus pushing updates based on the individual product. I believe that it is technically possible to push individual code based on each product, but it is much easier to manage one code base.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

FX4

Mon May 30, 2016 7:29 am

knuckle wrote:
Well clemdog it depends on whom you ask ... but to put it in general terms some folk have problems with tv A or receiver B or the unit waking or sound issues and so forth and some are having no problems at all.There is not a single catch all problem that every one is having.When you read a thread on these problems it stacks up and about 2 pages in it quits being a bug thread but a "the R 4 is junk " page which you know isn't the case ( at least not for you) and if left to run it's course there would soon be reports of R4 jumping out of the entertainment cabinet to kick poor old granny in the knee ( ok I may be exaggerating here) but you get the gist of what I am saying.

I believe that most of the bug reports can be fixed by firmware .... when that firmware will be pushed is up to Roku

I would like to know about a single one of these things that wakes up properly.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

Nebo1ss

Tue May 31, 2016 12:04 pm

FX4 wrote:
knuckle wrote:
Well clemdog it depends on whom you ask ... but to put it in general terms some folk have problems with tv A or receiver B or the unit waking or sound issues and so forth and some are having no problems at all.There is not a single catch all problem that every one is having.When you read a thread on these problems it stacks up and about 2 pages in it quits being a bug thread but a "the R 4 is junk " page which you know isn't the case ( at least not for you) and if left to run it's course there would soon be reports of R4 jumping out of the entertainment cabinet to kick poor old granny in the knee ( ok I may be exaggerating here) but you get the gist of what I am saying.

I believe that most of the bug reports can be fixed by firmware .... when that firmware will be pushed is up to Roku

I would like to know about a single one of these things that wakes up properly.

Well you asked for it and here we have one. I am running version 7.1.0 build 4062-17 I have the following options checked 1 touch play and System standby.

When i press the home button on the ROKU remote it wakes up my ROKU switches on my AVR, switches on my TV using CEC HDMI and also select the correct input on the AVR. Now I must admit this is something that takes patience, because the delay between pressing the Home button and all those things happening is at least 30 seconds. It just works once you wait 30 seconds. I have never had an issue with it. When I am finished using the ROKU I always press the Home button before switching to another input on my AVR and it will switch off after a certain number of seconds. I would agree that 30 seconds is a long time but I just got used to it.

I am sure there are problems out there. Fortunately, I am one of those who do not have any issues not even an overheating one. I think one must remember that people generally come to forums like this because they have problems. The silent majority never use forums and just use their device. There are even a few users who make it a habit to post negative views in every ROKU 4 Forum. There is even one posting on this thread who does not have a ROKU 4 and never had one. His sum total of experience is trying to help his neighbour with his but he always active in every ROKU 4 thread with very negative views.

I do not use Netflix and therefore would not be familiar with the complains I see in that area. However, I use Plex, Amazon, NBA, Utube and a few other apps on a daily basis without problems.

enolamyecart

Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:11 pm

WOW! I just got off of the phone with support. After 48 minutes of explaining the issue (sleeps and won't wake up), and going through multiple instructions of rudimentary troubleshooting, I was told to TRY 1 more thing.....
'Tomorrow, when you get home and it is locked up and the remote won't wake it from sleep mode, push the remote finder button on the box...that should work and wake it up'
REALLY?!? That's the solution you're offering?
---and of course, I ask about a replacement...
'Well, if we replace it and you have the same problem with the replacement unit, there's nothing more we can do'
----hmmmm!?!?! So I'm stuck with a BAD product?
I have 5 other rokus, all different other models, but this one...the Roku 4 is the ONLY model that has given me problems from the start.

Williamt100

Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 am

'Tomorrow, when you get home and it is locked up and the remote won't wake it from sleep mode, push the remote finder button on the box...that should work and wake it up' 

That has never worked for me...  when I find my ROKU 4 unresponsive, I must unplug the unit and plug it back in order to start it up.
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X