Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mc510
Topic Author

2016 Olympics on Roku in USA?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:55 am

Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription? Either a reliable free way, or a paid app? It looks like NBC's regular and sports apps both require a cable or satellite subscription to access live content.

Elijah_Baley

Re: 2016 Olympics on Roku in USA?

Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 am

Just guessing but I believe much of the Olympics will be available on the NBC Sports Extra channel as well as on services such as Sling or Vue (If they add a regular NBC feed). In the past NBC has also placed a lot of Olympic coverage on their secondary stations, most of which are available on Sling and/or Vue, such as MSNBC etc.

I would guess that with a reasonable subscription most, if not all, Olympic events will be available on the Roku although many may well be delayed or interrupted with a lot of meaningless fluff.

I hold out little hope for the Olympics to have true "full" coverage without NBC coughing up a LOT of meaningless fur-balls after licking themselves for interminable amounts of time. They will also produce the the equivalent of a TV sugar high by feeding viewers a ton of "Up close and personal" cotton candy.

But it will, most probably, be on the Roku for anyone to view that wants to.

I cannot remember the exact Olympics involved but, back in the big dish days before DirectTV, the TV rights holder (I think it might have been ABC) made a package available where every event was broadcast live in its entirety and without much fluff. It took several channels on the satellite and a few events, like Judo, only had fixed cameras most of the time but it was truly full real time coverage. I wish they would take advantage of the streaming options and do that kind of thing again. I, for one, would pay a good amount for access to those streams. Maybe it will happen, hope springs eternal.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

BoloMKXXVIII

Mon May 02, 2016 10:51 am

I for one would pay real money to be able to stream on-demand every event. Real time would be nice, but you can't see everything when there are several things happening at once and of course the time shift issue can be bad depending on where in the world you live. They could make them all accessible for up to a month after the games ended so you could continue to watch the events you did not have time to see earlier it would be fantastic! Too bad I have a better chance of winning powerball lottery...twice, than NBC following this suggestion.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

gkl

Mon May 02, 2016 12:07 pm

mc510 wrote:
Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription? Either a reliable free way, or a paid app? It looks like NBC's regular and sports apps both require a cable or satellite subscription to access live content.

It will be interesting to see whether NBC figures out that it is 2016 and not 2008. I could watch most of what I wanted OTA in 2012, but the time has come for Comcast/NBC to recognize that the market is changing. The Olympics offer a perfect opportunity for them to do so. I'm not holding my breath, though.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

Gimpycat

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Sling Blue for $25 a month gives you access to NBC and NBC sports channels. I plan to switch my regular "Orange" subscription to Blue in August, then switch back when the Olympics are over.

Prounckk

Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:17 pm

I've just checked web-site of one of company and there is information that they will stream Rio 2016 on Roku, but i'm not sure if it gonna be en English. On Russian for sure, so it's good time to start learn Russian. The subscription is much cheaper :D :mrgreen:

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:46 pm

There's no reason in 2016 that every match of every sport can't be streamed, but I'm NBC will lock you in somehow and make it weird/incomplete.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:56 am

I decided to do a bit of research and I found that you can stream every Olympic event from the NBC website BUT there is one caveat, you must authenticate with a provider like a cable service. I believe that VUE and Sling will work but of that I am unsure but since every other NBC site needing authentication works with them I am pretty sure that they will work fine.

From NBC's FAQ: http://www.nbcolympics.com/watch-live
Q: What is required for access to view "Live Streaming" video content?
A: You can access live streams of EVERY NBC Olympics event by authenticating with a cable, satellite or telco TV subscription through your service provider. There is no additional charge for this service, simply log into NBCOlympics.com using the Username and Password you use on your provider's website. If you do not have or do not know your login information, contact your service provider.

Now that does not really address getting the feeds on the Roku but once you authenticate it appears that NBC Sports Live Extra will have every event and there is a channel for that.

I "think" that will work regardless of provider. What I cannot find out, or at least have not yet found out, is if Vue will authenticate if they do not have a local package for your area.

One more thing the Playon app and channel offers recording. I am not sure if you can schedule a recording kind of like a DVR through them but I think it could be possible so, for those of us that prefer to watch delayed, Sling + PlayOn might be a good option.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

Elijah_Baley

Sun Jul 24, 2016 6:28 am

I decided to test and I found that Sling does NOT allow you to authorize the NBC sports channel on the Roku or anywhere else so that, along with no DVR functionality, would make it of limited value for watching the Olympics.

I also contacted a friend of mine and she tested for me and Vue does activate the NBC sports channel.

So, unless there are other options for cord cutters that someone knows about, for the Olympics on the Roku the only option is Playstation Vue.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:04 am

The opening day of the 2016 Olympics is about 10 days away but there are sports that actually start in one week and I have still been unable to find the answer to my main question which is: Will the most/some of the events be available to stream as on-demand after they complete?

I have discovered that virtually all the events I have an interest in will be available live on NBCsn or other NBC channels that are available on my Roku either directly through the NBC sports channel or other NBC affiliated channels that are on Roku or through the VUE channel. I do not have a local NBC channel available OTA. no reception, and I do not have locals available through VUE but that does not seem to be an issue as everything except the edited and filtered content that airs directly on NBC is available to me. I have zero interest in the fluff that with which NBC surrounds their real coverage.

But I have tried to get a straight answer from NBC about "On Demand" and they have come through with nothing but links to their websites which really do not answer that question. It is almost like NBC does not know what NBC is doing about coverage that is not live.

I suspect that most of the high interest sports will be available on-demand but I cannot get any verification.

They will not even give a straight answer to a straight question like: "Will the US vs New Zealand women's soccer match, which takes place on the 3rd, be available on-demand after it airs?"

I guess it will be but I cannot get a verification from NBC.

I believe that all we can do is wait and see. At least VUE offers a DVR option so, if a match airs on one of the channels they offer and the times are correct and the match starts on time and their guide is correct, I guess that gives an on-demand option.

I just wish that they would give straight information.

bvd1022

Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:51 am

mc510 wrote:

From what I know, NBC Universal will be releasing a dedicated app for the Olympics across devices that will be used for exclusive content after the Olympics have concluded under a different name outside of the NBC Sports Live Extra app/channel. I don’t know if it will be something that users will have to pay for, but I have been waiting to find out myself as to when it will be released and what devices it will be on as I will probably be writing about some of the Olympic Boxing tournament over the course of those two weeks. So, I will be looking at ways to make what I do as far as covering/writing material for the tournament as easy as possible due to the time differences.

I have covered two previous Olympic tournaments in 2004 and 2008 and although I was able to get material written for it, the combination of time differences between where the games were held and the United States as well as dealing with hurricane season during those periods was a challenge for me. Anything that would make that task a little easier with regard to what I do I’m all for it.

frankbillson89

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:58 am

mc510 wrote:
Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription?  

NBC will broadcast it, so you can watch Rio Olympics 2016 on NBC Sports Live.

Elijah_Baley

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:43 am

frankbillson89 wrote:
mc510 wrote:
Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription?  

That is true, mostly. The regular NBC broadcasts normally include only what the NBC decision makers think are "important" or "of interest." They do not include lower level sports, like women's field hockey, or sports that are dominated by non-USA people. NBC also tends to inundate their regular broadcasts with "Up close and personal" drivel that really does nothing to enhance the experience for many folks.

However they have been moving away from their fluff broadcasting by providing detailed broadcasts of much of the events. That will NOT be on the regular NBC channel but rather those broadcasts will be spread throughout the entire NBC family of channels including all those from NBC Sports Live channel to MSNBC. So to get full Olympic coverage you must have access to a quite wide variety of the whole NBC family of channels.

Having said that, as was pointed out earlier, NBC has hinted at a dedicated application (This could actually be the NBC Sports Live) that will stream all Olympic events. Of course they will not or have not confirmed exactly how the Olympics will be available. Even emails asking very specific questions get responded to with vague answers or evasions.

I have now set up many different ways of access NBC channels for the period of the Olympics so the I will miss nothing I am interested in but I have also been unable to come up with a good way to record many of the methods I have set up and NBC will not say what they will have available "on demand."

At this point in time we can only wait and see what NBC will actually do. Hopefully they do not make it too hard for those of us that have no access to cable or OTA.

Lastly, as stated earlier, accessing NBC content on the web apps or the Roku channels will require a subscription to a participating provider. That provider can be a cable company, Satellite provider or something like Playstation Vue. I have verified that Sling will not work for the NBC Sports Live.

I am reasonably sure that with Vue and the access it gives me will allow me to watch all the Olympics I have an interest in but as I said earlier NBC has yet to officially say exactly how their coverage will be accessible, particularly the on-demand part.

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:18 am

message deleted by poster
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

mc510
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:49 am

frankbillson89 wrote:
mc510 wrote:

But don't you need a cable or satellite subscription in order to activate (most? all?) content on NBC Sports Live?  I don't mind paying a fee for an app that provides Olympics coverage on Roku, but I don't have cable/satellite and don't plan to change that.