Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JW1200

Re: 2016 Olympics on Roku in USA?

Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:30 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
JW1200 wrote:
Well if your thinking of switching to Sling blue because it offers NBC, forget it. I did it. Sling blue offers NBC in their channel lineup, but you do not get it. In the blue channel line up they offer, NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC. Yep they screwed me. Although you get some of the Olympics games on the other channels, it is not what I singed up for. I will be dropping Sling. for sure. :(

As I said in earlier posts in this thread Sling defiantly does NOT work for the NBC Sports channel and that is the channel that has all the Olympic games. Sling has not bothered or been able to get the needed agreement with NBC.

Sling blue does not offer NBC Sports channel, but it does offer the regular NBC channel in it channel line up. as I stated above.

JW1200

Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:08 am

I received this email this morning.

Thank you for contacting Sling TV Support.NBC Local is available in the following metro areas: Chicago, New York, San Francisco/Oakland/San Jose, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, Dallas/Fort Worth, Washington, DC, Miami/Fort Lauderdale, San Diego, and Hartford/New Haven. If you live in one of the above metro areas you will have access to NBC local live content.

The zip code on your account put you in the Nashville ,TN local market. If that is not correct and you do live in one of the above metro areas please reply with your correct address and zip code.

We also have local FOX content available in our Sling Blue service. For information on how local channels work visit help.sling.com.

You can follow us on Twitter, @Sling

Like us on Facebook, www.facebook.com/Sling

Also, be sure to follow our blog at blog.sling.com for official announcements on Sling TV!

Thank you for contacting Sling TV! Take Back TV!

Sincerely,
Sling TV Support
support@sling.com

nstuart

Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:15 am

(VPN discussion removed by moderator)

RadioClash

Wed Aug 10, 2016 8:37 am

Very happy with this app. The ability to access the live and full replays of individual events and not to be forced to watch the horrible NBC presentations is huge. I watched the NBC prime time show the first night and it was god awful. Constant barrage of banality.

bvd1022

Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:02 pm

I found out the other day while covering the Boxing tournament that the Olympics is releasing a 24/7 plus VOD streaming service called Olympic channel, which is supposed to have a deep catalog of full archives of every sport plus live events year round. The service is launching on 8/21 from what I was able to look up. I'm looking forward to it because in regard to boxing, I assume that live coverage of various amateur tournaments would be included. Seeing as the only time I've been able to really cover anything related to the amateurs has been during Olympic years, something like this should help as far as access for me. If any of you are interested the address for the streaming service is www.Olympicchannel.com.

Will pass along any other info if I come across any.

ethanlong885

Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:16 am

bvd1022 wrote:
I found out the other day while covering the Boxing tournament that the Olympics is releasing a 24/7 plus VOD streaming service called Olympic channel, which is supposed to have a deep catalog of full archives of every sport plus live events year round. The service is launching on 8/21 from what I was able to look up. I'm looking forward to it because in regard to boxing, I assume that live coverage of various amateur tournaments would be included. Seeing as the only time I've been able to really cover anything related to the amateurs has been during Olympic years, something like this should help as far as access for me. If any of you are interested the address for the streaming service is http://www.Olympicchannel.com.

Will pass along any other info if I come across any

Thanks for your post! Actually it works)

bvd1022

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:14 am

ethanlong885 wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
I found out the other day while covering the Boxing tournament that the Olympics is releasing a 24/7 plus VOD streaming service called Olympic channel, which is supposed to have a deep catalog of full archives of every sport plus live events year round. The service is launching on 8/21 from what I was able to look up. I'm looking forward to it because in regard to boxing, I assume that live coverage of various amateur tournaments would be included. Seeing as the only time I've been able to really cover anything related to the amateurs has been during Olympic years, something like this should help as far as access for me. If any of you are interested the address for the streaming service is http://www.Olympicchannel.com.

Will pass along any other info if I come across any

Thanks for your post! Actually it works)

You’re welcome.  I haven’t heard anything new as of yet, but I was hoping I would hear something before I began releasing Olympic material.  I assume there will be some form of advertising for it beyond social media platforms, which is how I became aware of it literally by accident during the closing ceremonies. Outside of following the Boxing tournament for obvious reasons and watching the various Swimming/Gymnastics coverage, I have been hearing that NBC is taking a lot of criticism for their coverage of the games.  One thing I did notice in regard to the Olympic Boxing coverage is the live feeds have been done by the Olympics own broadcasting service and does not feature any NBC talent or features. Considering that access pre-Olympic channel is limited to the NBC Sports app in this country, I find that surprising. Was also surprised that the content they have been showing from the tournament on traditional TV has been sporadic and significantly reduced compared to what’s been going on, on the app.

I watched an ESPN Boxing card last Friday that I would have otherwise been covering outside of Olympic time, Teddy Atlas, the legendary trainer and longtime ESPN Boxing Analyst more or less accused NBC of hiding Boxing coverage in response to what’s gone on in past Olympics with regard to the computerized scoring as well as constant questions regarding corruption of the Amateur Boxing Association (AIBA).  Although I don’t believe he is aware of NBC trying to make full use of OTT technology, I won’t lie, I thought what he said had some merit, particularly when they have been showing one fight in between Vollyball or other coverage via NBCSN in the middle of the night. It is also noteworthy that this is the first Olympics since 2000 that Atlas has not been broadcasting the Boxing tournament. Whether or not that was due to a difference of opinion between he and the network and/or his stance that the AIBA is the most corrupt organization he’s ever seen is a question only he can answer. Nevertheless, I thought he did have some valid points with what he said. Although the app has provided what it promised in carrying everything in full, they have done a poor job of adequately showing content via traditional platforms.  They also haven’t done a good job, in my opinion of putting an emphasis on everything Olympics being carried unedited on the app across devices on traditional TV, in my opinion. Will pass along anything once I hear something in regard to Olympic Network. I would assume since Closing ceremonies are on Sunday and the Olympics OTT network will be launching shortly afterwards that something will be forthcoming. I would like to know what the cost will be personally. 

Elijah_Baley

Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:43 am

First it should be noted that the NBC Olympic channel inside the NBC Sports extra channel has been working quite well. (just a few buffering issues) However I do have an issue with the officiating in general and the lack of any real meaningful discussion by any NBC commentators at least when the events are on.

I think this may be related somewhat to what @bvd1022 said. Just one example that I have seen has to do with "added time" or "Injury time" in the soccer matches.
The general rule that referees are supposed to use is that you add a minimum of 30 seconds for each goal, yellow/red card and substitution and you add whatever time treatment takes for any injury and you add whatever time teams waste by delaying tactics.

Just one example of this being flagrantly violated was the Japan vs Nigeria match. In that match there were 4 goals scored, one yellow card, one substitution and several minutes of time wasted by Nigeria arguing a penalty kick call. All that in the first half.
But at the end of the first half the referee added only one minute instead of the 5 or more that would normally be expected.

This pattern has continued and in more that one case the commentators speculated 4-7 minutes added time and the refree called the half/game exactly at the 45 minute mark.

Because this has happened in virtually every game I believe that the Olympic officials have forced the referees to shorten the games to fit in the planed time slot thereby cheating the teams and viewers out of soccer the way it should be presented in the interest of staying on schedule.

There are also numerous poor calls/non-calls that have a detrimental effect of the game and have allowed the thugs virtually a free hand to clobber the other team as they please.

Since NBC avoids saying anything about the poor officiating I believe they are in on the "conspiracy" to keep the games moving and showing a complete disregard for any sibilance of integrity. The NBC people are just gutless when it comes to criticizing anything about their Olympic benefactors.

I have seen the same thing throughout any events I have watched and it seems that the integrity of the "Games" have been compromised by poor officiating throughout. It is like the Games have become as corrupt at the actual participant level as both Brazil and the Olympic officials" are at the top.

The officiating has been so poor that the results in virtually  all competitive where the officials have a direct impact. Team sports are the most impacted but the sports like Gymnastics that rely on opinion of judges are equally or maybe more compromised.

The bottom line is that this has, so far, been the worst Olympics I have witnessed and it has made me much less likely to spend any money the next time to watch the corrupt farce that the Olympics have devolved into. It is interesting to watch but it has become performance more than sport so it is not what I am much interested in. It is evolving in the direction of pro wrastlin' and that is NOT sport.

Lastly every event and replay that is available on the NBC web site is available through the NBC Sports Extra channel on the Roku. I have looked at both and have not found even one exception.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

bvd1022

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:03 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
First it should be noted that the NBC Olympic channel inside the NBC Sports extra channel has been working quite well. (just a few buffering issues) However I do have an issue with the officiating in general and the lack of any real meaningful discussion by any NBC commentators at least when the events are on.

I think this may be related somewhat to what @bvd1022 said. Just one example that I have seen has to do with "added time" or "Injury time" in the soccer matches.
The general rule that referees are supposed to use is that you add a minimum of 30 seconds for each goal, yellow/red card and substitution and you add whatever time treatment takes for any injury and you add whatever time teams waste by delaying tactics.

Just one example of this being flagrantly violated was the Japan vs Nigeria match. In that match there were 4 goals scored, one yellow card, one substitution and several minutes of time wasted by Nigeria arguing a penalty kick call. All that in the first half.
But at the end of the first half the referee added only one minute instead of the 5 or more that would normally be expected.

This pattern has continued and in more that one case the commentators speculated 4-7 minutes added time and the refree called the half/game exactly at the 45 minute mark.

Because this has happened in virtually every game I believe that the Olympic officials have forced the referees to shorten the games to fit in the planed time slot thereby cheating the teams and viewers out of soccer the way it should be presented in the interest of staying on schedule.

There are also numerous poor calls/non-calls that have a detrimental effect of the game and have allowed the thugs virtually a free hand to clobber the other team as they please.

Since NBC avoids saying anything about the poor officiating I believe they are in on the "conspiracy" to keep the games moving and showing a complete disregard for any sibilance of integrity. The NBC people are just gutless when it comes to criticizing anything about their Olympic benefactors.

I have seen the same thing throughout any events I have watched and it seems that the integrity of the "Games" have been compromised by poor officiating throughout. It is like the Games have become as corrupt at the actual participant level as both Brazil and the Olympic officials" are at the top.

The officiating has been so poor that the results in virtually  all competitive where the officials have a direct impact. Team sports are the most impacted but the sports like Gymnastics that rely on opinion of judges are equally or maybe more compromised.

The bottom line is that this has, so far, been the worst Olympics I have witnessed and it has made me much less likely to spend any money the next time to watch the corrupt farce that the Olympics have devolved into. It is interesting to watch but it has become performance more than sport so it is not what I am much interested in. It is evolving in the direction of pro wrastlin' and that is NOT sport.

Lastly every event and replay that is available on the NBC web site is available through the NBC Sports Extra channel on the Roku. I have looked at both and have not found even one exception.

If I’m not mistaken, the Boxing officials are appointed by the AIBA, Amateur Boxing’s governing authority. I’m not sure who appoints the officials for Soccer, but it wouldn’t shock me if FIFA were involved, even given their own scandals with regard to corruption.  As for me, for whatever reason, I can’t get into Soccer.  Baseball, Basketball, American Football, and Hockey, I’m game, but for whatever reason. Soccer hasn’t really appealed much to me, though I have watched a few world cup games occasionally and Ladybugs is one of my favorite movies. Can someone explain to me why in a scoreless game with under two minutes to go, teams sometimes choose to play for a tie as opposed to trying to go for a win especially when it is in regard to preliminary rounds of the world cup?  It isn’t my area of expertise so I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to Soccer.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:20 am

Can someone explain to me why in a scoreless game with under two minutes to go, teams sometimes choose to play for a tie as opposed to trying to go for a win especially when it is in regard to preliminary rounds of the world cup?  It isn’t my area of expertise so I am admittedly ignorant when it comes to Soccer.

I started to post an answer here but it became quite long and is not Roku related so I have sent a PM to you trying to explain.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

ehren88888

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:30 pm

My god this NBC Olympics app is the slowest molasses moving app in all of Roku history. I have a 60 MBPS cable connection and the buffering for tonight's men's volleyball game between Russia and Brazil. It was 5-1 Brazil in the 3rd set and the video would play, buffer, commercial, play the same point over again, commercial. When I backed out and loaded it again the score was 6-6
Roku streaming stick 3600R
115meg down cable Internet 10mb up Spectrum internet
Southern Wisconsin
PHILLIES PHANATIC!!!

mc510
Topic Author

Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:06 pm

ehren88888 wrote:
My god this NBC Olympics app is the slowest molasses moving app in all of Roku history.

Yeah, it's pretty slow ... and unstable, too!  On startup, I get about two minutes of "retrieving," then when browsing through the streams/clips I frequently get a 30 second "updating content" ... then there are the times that the app just crashes and sends me back to the Roku home screen, or crashes the whole Roku and I have to wait for it to reboot, for the app to finish "retrieving" then to finish "updating content." Pretty lousy.