Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bvd1022

Re: 2016 Olympics on Roku in USA?

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:25 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
frankbillson89 wrote:
mc510 wrote:
Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription?  

NBC will broadcast it, so you can watch Rio Olympics 2016 on NBC Sports Live.

That is true, mostly. The regular NBC broadcasts normally include only what the NBC decision makers think are "important" or "of interest." They do not include lower level sports, like women's field hockey, or sports that are dominated by non-USA people. NBC also tends to inundate their regular broadcasts with "Up close and personal" drivel that really does nothing to enhance the experience for many folks.

However they have been moving away from their fluff broadcasting by providing detailed broadcasts of much of the events. That will NOT be on the regular NBC channel but rather those broadcasts will be spread throughout the entire NBC family of channels including all those from NBC Sports Live channel to MSNBC. So to get full Olympic coverage you must have access to a quite wide variety of the whole NBC family of channels.

Having said that, as was pointed out earlier, NBC has hinted at a dedicated application (This could actually be the NBC Sports Live) that will stream all Olympic events. Of course they will not or have not confirmed exactly how the Olympics will be available. Even emails asking very specific questions get responded to with vague answers or evasions.

I have now set up many different ways of access NBC channels for the period of the Olympics so the I will miss nothing I am interested in but I have also been unable to come up with a good way to record many of the methods I have set up and NBC will not say what they will have available "on demand."

At this point in time we can only wait and see what NBC will actually do. Hopefully they do not make it too hard for those of us that have no access to cable or OTA.

Lastly, as stated earlier, accessing NBC content on the web apps or the Roku channels will require a subscription to a participating provider. That provider can be a cable company, Satellite provider or something like Playstation Vue. I have verified that Sling will not work for the NBC Sports Live.

I am reasonably sure that with Vue and the access it gives me will allow me to watch all the Olympics I have an interest in but as I said earlier NBC has yet to officially say exactly how their coverage will be accessible, particularly the on-demand part.

I have been trying to remember where I read the article about a month ago that discussed in detail the plans by NBC Universal to launch a dedicated app for Olympic coverage, which will then go into covering exclusive events under different branding outside of the current NBC Sports Live Extra app. I’m not certain, but the site I probably read it on was Cord Cutters News.  I don’t write for them, but I am a fan of their coverage and how they break down aspects of the OTT industry. I will post a link if I come across it.

Elijah_Baley

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:29 am

mc510 wrote:
frankbillson89 wrote:
mc510 wrote:
Is there going to be any way to watch the 2016 Olympics on Roku in the US for those of us without a cable or satellite subscription?  

NBC will broadcast it, so you can watch Rio Olympics 2016 on NBC Sports Live.

But don't you need a cable or satellite subscription in order to activate (most? all?) content on NBC Sports Live?  I don't mind paying a fee for an app that provides Olympics coverage on Roku, but I don't have cable/satellite and don't plan to change that.

As I said in my earlier posts you do need a qualifying subscription but it can be Playstation Vue. With Vue I think you get access to every channel/app that will host Olympic events.

Since the Olympics last longer than a week you cannot just activate a trial sub and watch with that but you could get a one month sub for 35-45 dollars (you need the middle of their packages to get all you need for the Olympics) and then, I believe, have full access to all the NBC channels and, if the event you want to watch is on one of the channels that is directly on Vue, there is even DVR functionality.

After my research I have concluded that, for me, Vue is the best way to go for Olympic content. Basically, for me, it means that I am going to pay $34.95 for full access to virtually every Olympic event I am interested in.

Of course I will not know exactly how well this is going to work until the games start on the 3rd. (Several events start prior to the actual opening ceremonies.)
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:39 am

Well, there appears to be good, maybe even great, news for Olympic fans: The NBC Sports channel updated overnight and it now contains an entire section dedicated to the Olympics and every sport is listed. They show up in such a way that it appears you will be able to watch every single event as it unfolds.

It also appears to be setup to include replays of all the events after they complete.

Of course they are enforcing the requirement of having a subscription to a participating provider, either a cable company, satellite provider or some streaming services. I and a few friends have tested and PlayStation Vue (with or without locals), all cable providers we tested, Dish, DirecTV all work to activate the NBC Sports channel. But Sling does not work.

Of course as I said in an earlier post we will have to wait to see exactly how and how well everything works.

The first event I have an interest in starts today (Aug 3) at 12:00 noon and from there I and anyone else watching will know more. But I am optimistic that everything will go fine.

The one fly I see in the ointment is if NBC has not correctly predicted the load and does not have enough infrastructure in place to handle the demand. The ESPN/ABC group vastly underestimated the demand for the Men's World Cup and the first three days had problems and much was unwatchable. But they added more and everything was fine later. The Women's World Cup was much better on the Fox network but they had the advantages of being much more local and not having to share as much infrastructure with the rest of the world because much of the rest of the world is still quite misogynistic. And Canada is not as technologically backward as Brazil.

There are news stories that I have read that makes it seem that NBC will be fine because the have put on a LOT of additional capacity and have it set so that it is independent of much of the rest of the entities broadcasting. Of course most of the local feeds are identical for everyone and most of the "fixed" cameras are setup and maintained by the local folks.

But if everything goes pretty good this sets up to be a quite enjoyable few weeks.
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain

bvd1022

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:39 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Well, there appears to be good, maybe even great, news for Olympic fans: The NBC Sports channel updated overnight and it now contains an entire section dedicated to the Olympics and every sport is listed. They show up in such a way that it appears you will be able to watch every single event as it unfolds.

It also appears to be setup to include replays of all the events after they complete.

Of course they are enforcing the requirement of having a subscription to a participating provider, either a cable company, satellite provider or some streaming services. I and a few friends have tested and PlayStation Vue (with or without locals), all cable providers we tested, Dish, DirecTV all work to activate the NBC Sports channel. But Sling does not work.

Of course as I said in an earlier post we will have to wait to see exactly how and how well everything works.

The first event I have an interest in starts today (Aug 3) at 12:00 noon and from there I and anyone else watching will know more. But I am optimistic that everything will go fine.

The one fly I see in the ointment is if NBC has not correctly predicted the load and does not have enough infrastructure in place to handle the demand. The ESPN/ABC group vastly underestimated the demand for the Men's World Cup and the first three days had problems and much was unwatchable. But they added more and everything was fine later. The Women's World Cup was much better on the Fox network but they had the advantages of being much more local and not having to share as much infrastructure with the rest of the world because much of the rest of the world is still quite misogynistic. And Canada is not as technologically backward as Brazil.

There are news stories that I have read that makes it seem that NBC will be fine because the have put on a LOT of additional capacity and have it set so that it is independent of much of the rest of the entities broadcasting. Of course most of the local feeds are identical for everyone and most of the "fixed" cameras are setup and maintained by the local folks.

But if everything goes pretty good this sets up to be a quite enjoyable few weeks.

It will definitely make my job easier. I covered the 2004 and 2008 games without the benefits of OTT streaming. Although for the 08 games my DVR was in constant record mode for the Boxing tournament, I think this time will be easier for me simply because I can go back without having to rely strictly on my DVR, but I do plan on using both DVR as well as OTT streaming this time. It would be foolish for me not too seeing as the Boxing tournament at the Olympics is always broken into sessions Day and Night. Technically, this would be my fourth Olympics that I have covered, but I was unable to cover the London games in 2012.

Despite my having mixed feelings with regard to the IOC allowing professional boxers to compete in this Olympics against Amateur boxers, I am optimistic though concerned. At least they (the IOC) finally got rid of the computerized scoring system that had been in place since 1992. They also have gone back to not using head gear, which also a cause for concern was in place from 1984 on. So it will be more of an authentic Boxing experience though I think they should have kept the headgear in place. We’ll see how it goes. I do disagree with the decision to let professionals into the tournament though.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:55 pm

I agree about the headgear but I think the Olympics should be about the best people in each sport so pros should be allowed in all sports. I really dislike the men's side of the soccer tournament where they bastardized it by allowing a few overage players. It should be about the best not about some artificial justification of a meaningless grouping of players.

BTW: I have found that there will be on-demand at least for soccer. Matches seem to appear as archives about two hours after completion.

bvd1022

Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
I agree about the headgear but I think the Olympics should be about the best people in each sport so pros should be allowed in all sports. I really dislike the men's side of the soccer tournament where they bastardized it by allowing a few overage players. It should be about the best not about some artificial justification of a meaningless grouping of players.

BTW: I have found that there will be on-demand at least for soccer. Matches seem to appear as archives about two hours after completion.

I disagree because the Olympics, much like the Pan Am games, the AAU tournaments, and others that are global are traditionally Amateur tournaments with regard to Boxing. It usually is the final step for the top level amateur boxers before pursuing professional careers. Typically, with regard to combat sports in general, one who is a professional is considered ineligible for amateur tournaments, this includes Wrestling as well. If MMA were an Olympic sport as was considered a few years ago, I’d expect similar rules in place for that sport as well.

In regard to Soccer, from what I understand they actually started today. Not sure, but I think it’s the first time competition has begun before the opening ceremonies have taken place. I could be wrong on that, but I don’t remember it happening before. As far as On-demand access, you’re right with very few exceptions NBC usually has stuff up for two weeks to a month after an event airs most of the time. The lone exception would be if there are series of events under the same banner I.E. NHL, Premier League, Premier Boxing Champions, etc. I’m not certain, but I would assume seeing as NBC Universal is the exclusive broadcaster for the Olympics and has been since 1992 as far as the Summer Olympics is concerned here in the states, that Olympic related content may be up longer than the norm, but again, that’s an assumption on my part. You are right they usually upload the shows on demand pretty quick.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:01 pm

There have been several times, at least the last two Olympics, where some matches of various sports have had to take place before the opening ceremonies. It is necessary for some sports because a "tournament" will not fit into a regular Olympic schedule and the fact that some venues are dual or treble purpose and the turn around time for some is pretty hefty. Changing a soccer field into a field hockey field is easy but changing either into a world class venue for track and field is less so.

Also even for the easy change there must be time for the ground crews to do some work so the finals of various field sports are played on at least decent surfaces.

As far as pro vs amateur just think about the original Olympians. They were well payed and payed more for victory. In fact some were not paid unless they won.

It seems that NBC has not quite got it right because there have been a few reloads during the USA soccer match and one actual freeze and one kickout of the match. It looks like they do not have the load balanced correctly or they do not have sufficient power/capacity at this point. Maybe it will be like ESPN at the last World Cup and they will add enough after the first night to get everything up to speed. They may have underestimated the number of folks that would be streaming instead of watching through traditional TV.

mcpish

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:50 pm

The Official BBC Sport and BBC iPlayer Roku apps are providing an insane amount of coverage, pretty much every event live on 16 different feeds. Was watching the Soccer game between Canada and Australia earlier today on BBC Sport on Roku. The Soccer has already started. Picture quality is good. The thing I love about the BBC coverage compared to any of the other broadcasters is NO COMMERCIALS. That makes it all a lot more watchable. NBC's coverage is always too bombastic, full of too much fluffy "sappy stories of the athletes". I don't know what it is but I always find that with US Networks there's always some sort of "super-aggressive audio normalization" going on with the audio mix that I always find so fatiguing after about 30 minutes of watching/listening. The CBC coverage for Canada is just too "folksy" for my taste. Both have too many commercials (especially all those custom ones they make FOR the Olympics). I prefer watching the BBC coverage. It seems a lot more neutral and tries to objectively cover all countries and just let the sports talk for themselves. Commentators are a lot more even keel and not overly hyper, and the audio is mixed normally without super aggressive "whooshing" graphics that make you reach for your remote to turn down the volume :-D. I just really prefer the more relaxed presentation style that the BBC uses for the Olympics. I love how when it's half-time for a soccer match, they just go to a realtime wide-angle shot of the stadium and sit there for 15 minutes. No over the top "recaps". No obnoxious loud "promos", "talking heads", or "pundits". Just the quiet ambiance of the stadium at half-time; it's so relaxing and enjoyable. :-D That's what my experience was when watching the Sochi and London games respectively. I imagine Rio will be similar on the BBC.

RadioClash

Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 pm

Are the BBC apps available in the US?

optikhog

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:24 am

bvd1022 wrote:
Typically, with regard to combat sports in general, one who is a professional is considered ineligible for amateur tournaments, this includes Wrestling as well.

I realize that we're WAY off topic here, but there is no such thing as "professional wrestling" which would preclude any participant from a sanctioned tournament that I am aware of. AFAIK, all wrestling at every competitive level is considered amateur. Nomenclature aside, any wrestling considered to be professional is not related to actual wrestling. Brock Lesnar withstanding, the talent in the WWE pool would likely fare very poorly against Olympic-level amateurs anyway.

mcpish

Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:10 pm

RadioClash wrote:
Are the BBC apps available in the US?

"Officially" No. And I understand it's a violation of the rules to discuss how to go about doing it on this forum.

bvd1022

Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:40 pm

optikhog wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
Typically, with regard to combat sports in general, one who is a professional is considered ineligible for amateur tournaments, this includes Wrestling as well.

I realize that we're WAY off topic here, but there is no such thing as "professional wrestling" which would preclude any participant from a sanctioned tournament that I am aware of. AFAIK, all wrestling at every competitive level is considered amateur. Nomenclature aside, any wrestling considered to be professional is not related to actual wrestling. Brock Lesnar withstanding, the talent in the WWE pool would likely fare very poorly against Olympic-level amateurs anyway.

Pro wrestling is performance art as I call it, athletic, and similar to the Harlem Globetrotters, etc. Back in 2006 before he left WWE, Kurt Angle, who was an Olympic Gold Medalist in Freestyle wrestling in 1996 was considering trying to compete in the 2008 Olympics, but ultimately decided against it because the IOC wouldn’t allow a pro wrestler to compete, because though it being performance out is still considered to be a professional sport, particularly in countries like Japan where there is less emphasis on character development and storylines, but a lot of emphasis on the athletic side of the genre/sport.

Brock Lesnar would have a similar issue if he wanted to compete in the Olympics, but that is why a lot of amateur wrestlers nowadays either go into pro wrestling or they go into Mixed Martial Arts as Lesnar has done. For the record, a lot of pro wrestlers do have amateur experience on some level whether it be high school or college level. I also spent several years covering pro wrestling in addition to Boxing and have covered MMA as well. To be honest, the only combat sports I haven’t covered are forms of karate, Olympic wrestling, and Kickboxing.

Per my experience covering the pro wrestling industry, even though it is a form of performance art, and the concept of kayfabe (Protecting the inner workings of the business) is not really something that is in practice today, pro wrestlers do take pride in their profession and some of those who came from the old school era of the business still take issue with people criticizing the genre and/or saying that guys who are in the business couldn’t handle themselves in a legitimate competition. Learned long ago when covering shows to be respectful of the workers and try not to ruffle them. Most of the wrestlers I was around during my time covering the business were respectful of me because I was respectful of them and didn’t try to expose the business in a negative way. I respected them and I knew my place in that my role back then was to cover shows and I did what I was supposed to do, but didn’t try to overstep my bounds or do things that I shouldn’t have been doing. It’s been over 13 yrs since I last covered the business, but my respect for the industry is still there and I would feel safe in saying that legit wrestlers with amateur backgrounds, known in the business as “Shooters” still exist in today’s business.

As for the upcoming Boxing tournament, I will be covering it despite my disagreeing with the IOC’s decision to allow pro boxers to compete in this Olympics and the concerns I have not only with that ruling, but also with regard to this being the first Olympic Boxing tournament without mandated headgear since 1980. In truth and honesty, despite my feelings regarding the IOC’s ruling and my concerns, I didn’t see anything that would stand out as a red flag during the qualifying for this tournament, so I’m taking the wait and see approach before outright calling both decisions a bad idea. In regard to the no headgear, it was known at the start of the 2012 tournament that the computerized scoring as well as the headgear would be done away with for the 2016 games so I can’t say that this was a sudden thing that happened, but the decision to let pro boxers compete was a decision that was made a few months ago. If I’m not mistaken, three or four pro boxers did qualify, but a few were out pointed in qualifiers and one was even knocked out, so we’ll see what happens. Has about eight hours before the tournament starts as I write this.

JW1200

Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:34 pm

Well if your thinking of switching to Sling blue because it offers NBC, forget it. I did it. Sling blue offers NBC in their channel lineup, but you do not get it. In the blue channel line up they offer, NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC. Yep they screwed me. Although you get some of the Olympics games on the other channels, it is not what I singed up for. I will be dropping Sling. for sure. :(

Elijah_Baley

Sun Aug 07, 2016 3:24 am

JW1200 wrote:
Well if your thinking of switching to Sling blue because it offers NBC, forget it. I did it. Sling blue offers NBC in their channel lineup, but you do not get it. In the blue channel line up they offer, NBC, NBCSN, MSNBC. Yep they screwed me. Although you get some of the Olympics games on the other channels, it is not what I singed up for. I will be dropping Sling. for sure. :(

As I said in earlier posts in this thread Sling defiantly does NOT work for the NBC Sports channel and that is the channel that has all the Olympic games. Sling has not bothered or been able to get the needed agreement with NBC.

Playstation Vue is the only non-traditional provider that seems to work. You have to jump through a few hoops and you must have a Playstation account but it does work swimmingly.

I have had zero authorization issues since the start of the games on Wednesday using Vue. One of my neighbors that has Charter spectrum has had problems and another with DirecTV has had even more.

That is not to say that the NBC Sports channel has not had a few problems like some buffering and one crash but those are not the result of authorization issues.

All in all, and I NEVER expected to say this about any Sony product, I am quite pleased with Playstation Vue. In fact I have even used the Vue channel itself for a couple of soccer matches because with Vue you can pause live matches which you cannot do with the NBC channel itself. You can pause archived matches but not live. NBC seems to be a little behind in their channel development efforts, but at least it works.

mery_alpes

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:49 am

(VPN discussion removed by moderator)