Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Feature Requests - Second Quarter 2016

Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:42 pm

This thread is for posting feature suggestions for the 2nd quarter of 2016. Each quarter, I will be starting a new thread in order to keep the information concise, and will archive older threads as needed.

Feel free to make your own feature requests!

C. Shawn Smith

Top Previous Feature Requests
  • Support for USB Antenna (for OTA)
  • Passcode individual channels/settings/channel store
  • DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru
  • 1080p/24p playback
  • Categorize channel lineup (folders, etc)
  • Remote with programmable favorite buttons
  • Wireless audio transmission for Roku Remote App (like Roku 3 audio port)
  • Ability to pair with BlueTooth headphones
  • To be continued ...
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RobbieSDA

Re: Feature Requests - Second Quarter 2016

Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:42 am

Please provide a Screensaver that is simply a 100% Black Screen.

This would be useful to many in that particularly with LCD LED HDTV's that have localized dimming as a feature, when the
screen goes black, it is as good as turning off the screen. Offers power saving and avoiding burn-in. Plus, if you fall asleep
while binge watching TV show episodes, when the screen finally goes black, it will be easier for you to sleep in the darker
room. A number of valuable benefits for such as easy feature to offer.

Thanks!

Happy Roku 2 XS and Roku 3 owner.
RobbieSDA

gkl

Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:34 am

1) An option to fully and seamlessly integrate live OTA through a Roku, either with a built-in tuner or enabling the use of a USB tuner, with the currently airing program identified on the home screen interface.

2) An option to passcode protect channels, the channel store, and settings.

3) A remote which natively controls the Roku (as the current remotes do) plus is programmable to control the TV and other attached devices. While I have a third party remote which currently does that, it requires that my Roku be kept in line-of-sight. (If anyone know of a third party remote which would allow me to control a hidden Roku, I'd greatly appreciate the suggestion).

The Roku is a great product. With those three improvements, I'd be VERY happy with the product.
2018 and 2017 Roku Ultras, 2017 Roku Streaming Stick+, 2018 Roku Express
Mohu Sky attic antenna
First Generation Dual Tuner Tablo
HP Stream Mini (used as a media server for Plex/PlayOn/iTunes/Web)
Samsung Blu-Ray/DVD
(Roku owner since 2011)

barneypoo69

Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:40 am

Be the 1st to stream HDR 10 with 4K using the Roku 4. Dolby Vision would be nice too.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

bondjd

Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:01 pm

My top feature request is for an inactivity timer. This would be very helpful, especially as more ISP's implement and enforce data caps. I hate to think about leaving for vacation and my Roku streaming the whole time if I accidentally leave a streaming channel on.

Thanks!

Dakotah

Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:58 am

Here is my quarterly request for DTS-HD and TrueHD passthrough... :wink:

Cranston37

Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:57 pm

1) A remote that can control my receiver's volume.

2) Redesign buttons on remote - I would have "ok" be in the center of the directional arrows and play/pause, rewind, fast forward directly below that. I would also get rid of the pre-programmed buttons. The only use they've ever gotten in my house is what I accidentally push one mid movie.

3) A redesigned home screen. I get that you want some extra revenue from the giant ad - nothing wrong with that. But does it need to take up 1/3 of the screen?

4) I would love a section not unlike the My Feed section, called Recently Watched. In this new world of apps we watch many different shows across many different services - you can sometimes lose track of what you are watching and what service you are watching it on. This would be a feature that could really set you apart!

5) One place under settings to enter my cable authentication info, not doing it for each app

6) Support for all the latest UHD and HDR formats is very important to me

brewhaus

Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:33 pm

Automatic discovery of IP address over wired Ethernet.

I have a Roku 3 4200X wired to an Apple AirPort Extreme A1408 5th gen, using DHCP. All of these devices are on a single power switch and get turned off frequently when not in use.

The issue is that when the Roku powers on, if the DHCP server has not finished booting, the Roku does not pull an address and does not check again. I must manually point the Roku to wired connection.

Almost any network device will continue to look for a DHCP address, but the Roku times out and does not check again. It would be nice if it did! Something about the Roku DHCPDISCOVER process is not in line with how other devices behave, or if just needs to hold onto the last leased address and use that.

A simple solution would be to insert a 100ms wait before the Roku sends it's discover request (I estimate this is enough time for AirPort to finish), or even better the Roku should continue to poll the server (like any other DHCP client).

Thanks for looking!

Erizzle22

Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:15 pm

Audio and video quality is very important to me and probably a lot of people that bought a roku 4 in terms of quality and content over regular tv apps and other media players. Keep yourself on top by offering cutting edge features and technological advances that no one else can offer.

I would like to see HDR10 support (hopefully for netflix, amazon, vudu and ultraflix) I understand dolby vision is not possible without the right dolby chip in the roku as well as the tv. also the latest audio technologies as well like dts-x and Dolby atmos through those same apps or passthrough for those 2 audio types and everything below them like dts-hdma and Dolby truehd and so on and so forth.

Tomslick

Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:12 pm

DD+ to DD conversion on the optical port.
Only reason I bought the Roku 4 was for the Opti out. Didn't even occur to me that ANYONE would put out a 4K supported device that included OptiOut but does not have DAC capability. The product is useless without it, and I feel misled. I don't even see this listed among the top feature requests under the first post and it has been routinely requested since October of last year (I consider this not the same as "DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru"). Is it going to be provided or not.

farside847

Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:13 am

- Customizable remote, I want the super responsive roku remote to turn on my tv and adjust the volume on my receiver. Even if it is an add on accessory - I would totally buy it. You can ditch the shortcut buttons ;)

- Support bluray movie formats natively - H.262/MPEG-2 Part 2, H.264/MPEG-4 Part 10: AVC, and SMPTE VC-1, DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru

- Broadcast tv via USB or network tuner (I use an hdhomerun myself), plus direct support the formats they use like mpeg2, variable framerate, 60fps, etc

- Cloud DVR, I know this one might be a pie in the sky ask, but once OTA is available make a subscription service to store your tv recordings, pause live tv, series recording, etc, all in the cloud. Might be a nice reoccurring revenue stream for roku.

Thanks!

Rcosta

Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:51 pm

Shawn,

Is it possible to post a list of all feature requests quarter by quarter?
Also bug reports quarter by quarter?

Just a thought.

Yes: but trying to compile everything takes a LOT of time I don't have. That's why the list above hasn't been updated in a while. I'll get back to it eventually.

No on question 2.

C. Shawn Smith
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

AnClar

Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:28 am

And again: DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4.
Roku Ultra, Roku 4
Internet:1gig/40 Time Warner Spectrum Gigabit (DOCSIS 3.1)
Cbl Modem:Technicolor TC4400
Router:Asus RT-AC5300

mitchl

Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:16 pm

Again And Again: DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4.

adamkaz

Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:32 pm

@RobbieSDA: Great idea about a black screen for a screensaver.

I made an app for it. Currently awaiting approval for public release, but here is the private link to try it out: https://my.roku.com/add/JZ95LZ