Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Re: Whats with ALL of my roku's randomly double blinking??

Tue May 03, 2016 9:55 am

Usually the periodic double blink means it is trying to connect to the network. For those that are experiencing the double blink problem, are you using a mobile app to talk to the Roku?
rokudale

tkfan75

Tue May 03, 2016 10:03 am

I wasn't using the mobile app, just my remote. I went in to the secret screen and disabled pings and haven't seen a double blink again.

greeknasty
Topic Author

Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 am

not using the app.
My parents are also having the issue, the only channel that we have the same is Plex. every other channel is different. Theres is wired, 2 of mine are wired the other 2 are wireless.
I dont consider putting tape on my roku a solution.
Its not the end of the world but clearly im not the only one with this issue

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue May 03, 2016 11:33 am

You are right, putting a piece of tape on the led is only a bandaid.....
Bug report has been filed.
rokudale

RokuCarlS
Roku Engineering

Tue May 03, 2016 11:47 am

Hi all,

The LED double blink pattern indicates a network problem within one or more layers of the networking stack. Examples are:

• Loss of your physical connection (e.g. Wifi signal)
  • DHCP isn't providing an address
  • ARP isn't responding
  • DNS isn't mapping domains to addresses
  • Various TCP/IP connections won't open
  • Socket are failing (e.g. timing-out)
All that sounds complicated, but basically it means there's a network problem. If the LED double blink happens on a regular basis, but your other connected devices are working fine at the same time, then we'd like to know more about it. Gather together the details (Roku model, serial number, date/time of problem, Wifi router info) and send it to me via a private message.

Tekneek

Tue May 03, 2016 2:04 pm

I think the correct term is "winking."

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Wed May 04, 2016 7:45 pm

Altenatively: "REM sleep", "throwing an epileptic fit", "having kittens"

speedyrite

Thu May 19, 2016 6:59 am

RokuCarlS wrote:
All that sounds complicated, but basically it means there's a network problem. If the LED double blink happens on a regular basis, but your other connected devices are working fine at the same time, then we'd like to know more about it. Gather together the details (Roku model, serial number, date/time of problem, Wifi router info) and send it to me via a private message.

PM sent to you @RokuCarlS with details.

RokuCarlS
Roku Engineering

Thu May 19, 2016 8:06 am

speedyrite wrote:
RokuCarlS wrote:

PM sent to you @RokuCarlS with details.

Thanks. The information provided by forum users has helped me narrow down the problem, and I've proposed a solution to our engineering team.

justinloch

Sun May 22, 2016 4:17 pm

Am having this issue on my Roku stick. Since the update. My network is fine and connection everything is work but I get this random blinking that won't stop most of the time. If I reboot my Roku it stopped but after like a day or two it comes back again. Unless I reboot my Roku again. It never happened before until the update. To me the new update suck.

Rcosta

Sat May 28, 2016 9:54 am

Resolved my double blinking issue on my Roku 4. There was no performance or lack of functionality, just the irritating double blinking light.

I researched and then troubleshot the issue

From reading some of the posts here, I thought it was caused by the screensaver.

--I removed any screensaver and restarted the Roku. The issue stopped for a short while, then it started up again.

-- The next post I read was about a possible issue between the Roku Android application and the Roku. As I have found out that the Roku application is fully functional with the 3600R, but my experience is that the Roku application is not fully compatible with the Roku 4 (no audio from my phone for private viewing), Because of this issue, I uninstalled the Roku android application, rebooted the Roku.

Removing the Roku Android Roku application the problem was resolved, no more random double blinking from my Roku 4.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

EDIflyer

Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:39 pm

For anyone else still experiencing issues with this - in my case it seemed to be that my credit card linked to my account had just expired. I updated the card details and (so far at least) it appears to have stopped double blinking!

EnTerr

Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:19 am

Oh, oh! I know, i know!
I think i know why screensaver "causes" the issue!

My RokuTV just developed a case of the "double blinks"!
It's a #5203 (Hisense) on 7.2.4101. It has this "feature" that sometimes after restarting it reports MAC 00:00:00:00:00:00 and IP address 0.0.0.0 (Settings > System > About). I have reported, complained and bitched about this many months ago.
@RokuCarlS said it sounds like a hardware issue (a rather interesting hardware bug if it is, given that NIC may disappear unpredictably).
@RokuShawnS said someone from the Co should be contacting me soon... months ago. Nobody did (and being around RokuCo for years, i am not surprised - it probably went to the "official support" and they are extremely unreliable).
@RokuDale... well, he seems to ignore my PMs, even if it's "nice to see you F2F last week" :?
"Network connection reset" from "Advanced system settings" seems to just crash reboot the TV (it pops the "Resetting network connection..." dialog for a few seconds and then reboots - in fairness it could be that's not-well-communicated "by design" restart behavior or genuine crash).

So anyway - back to my insight, when it gets in such "mode", RokuTV turns to give me a great "platform" for testing the issue. Reading here "rumors" of screensavers fracking up network connection has always seemed preposterous to me and i was tempted to ridicule it... until today. Today i saw the light! I mean, after starting to see the double-red-light, i got enlightened :)

You see, some screesavers rely on network connection. They use network to fetch data - and in my case that way they seem to effect the "double blinking code red". Here are some observations:

(D)effecting SS:
  • Default screensaver
  • LED Time & Weather
Non-(d)effecting SS:
  • Power Saver
  • Roku Digital Clock
  • Roku Analog Clock
  • Mazes
The case of Time&Weather SS is understandable, since it fetches weather info from the Net. "But the default screensaver?" - you may ask. Aha! Well recently the default screensaver has become the "cityscape" one, that shows high-rise silhouettes and ads on billboards (very ingenious, i should say!). So anyway - that's why this SS also does internet requests and can trigger the "double blink".

I have to say, RokuTV platform seems woefully unprepared to function with no network connection. I mean this not in the trivial sense of "streaming services don't work when there is no network", no :). I mean it is supposed to be fully-functional as a "dumb" TV w/o network connection - and it is not. I see it going into this double-blink-death seemingly on its own - when by design it should handle this gracefully (by showing diagnostic msg and not hanging).
Last edited by EnTerr on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkJedi

Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:10 am

Rcosta wrote:
Removing the Roku Android Roku application the problem was resolved, no more random double blinking from my Roku 4.

This worked for me on my Roku 2 also. It's been a couple weeks without a blink.

EnTerr

Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:34 am

DarkJedi wrote:
Rcosta wrote:
This worked for me on my Roku 2 also. It's been a couple weeks without a blink.

Hmm, i am skeptical about blaming the smartphone remote app for that (as well as "expired credit card" from above). The reason being, ECP is too high in the protocol stack (#5 or #7, depending how you count - but in the top-most layer either way). If it were during "Home & Dorm Connect"... mebbe.

In fairness, i owe apology to @Basil for skepticizing earlier his "folksy remedy" of removing screen savers... :oops: