Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blackcows
Topic Author

Roku TV Without Internet?

Sun May 01, 2016 5:50 am

I just purchased a new RV and I am planning on changing the current TV to a Roku TV. I have several Roku devices in my home so I am very familiar with them but wondering if I will have any issues running the Roku TV without internet at times? The reason I want a Roku TV is that at times we will have internet so we will be able to use the Roku in a fully functioning capacity but at other times we will not but I will have hard drive connected via USB so I will be able to use the Roku Media Player channel to watch movies and listen to music.

Ultimately I would like to know if I am going to have any issues when I don't have a LAN or WAN available to the Roku?

startreksteve

Re: Roku TV Without Internet?

Tue May 03, 2016 7:49 am

I reckon you could Use Plex as long as you have a router giving out Internal Ip addresses.

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue May 03, 2016 8:35 am

There is a bug in the software that prevents completing a network connection if it can't reach the internet. But this only affects channels that need the network. RMP will work fine accessing your harddrive with the network unconnected. Also if you have a TV antenna hook up, over the air channels should still work.

theuser86

Tue May 03, 2016 8:57 am

Is this really a bug? This is how my Roku 3 has worked for years, without a live internet connection the Roku could never connect to the router to access my PMS on a local network. I assume it was intended by design.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering

Tue May 03, 2016 9:53 am

Nope, it is a bug. It used to work at one time. You can actually get around it by first connecting to the network/internet, and then disconnecting the access to the internet but not the network. But you need to leave it running now. You can still access local media on your network in this internet unavailable state.

Rtroop84

Sat May 20, 2017 10:47 pm

Fixed! Attempt to connect to desired network. After it fails do not press any buttons, unplug the power wire of your roku and replug it in. I don't understand why it works but it does. Stumbled across the fact that the roku actually remains connected to the network until you back out of the network setup screen. I guess backing out actually resets the network adaptor to previous setting. If you unplug it before it resets to previous settings it will keep the current settings. Sorry for the wall of text, just excited I could figure it out.