Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jckinnick
Topic Author

Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of time

Tue May 03, 2016 9:48 pm

When I watch shows on the Amazon app I will stop them and leave them on the show description page so I can pick up where I left off from the last time I watched, but since the most recent Roku update when I return to Roku it is back on the home page and I have to go back in to the Amazon app and find the show I was watching last. Does anybody know how to fix this?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

Wed May 04, 2016 12:26 am

From what I'm reading, that is intentional. In other words, a change in how it performs, not a bug.

I would suggest to Roku that changes like that be made optional via a menu setting. Users learn how the devices operate and establish behavior based upon that that best suits the user's particular wants and needs. When device behavior changes, that will upset the user's routine on a varying basis. Since I commonly return to the Home Page, it's not something I would have noticed. However, for you, it's a major change. And a menu setting to turn on/off such behavior would have been a better implementation.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

Nebo1ss

Wed May 04, 2016 5:27 am

Agreed, i always return the ROKU to the home page by pressing the home key before leaving. I am under the impression that enables the ROKU to time out and go into standby mode.

anode505

Wed May 04, 2016 10:36 am

+1 for getting rid of this 'feature' of going to home during screensaver.
(I'll have to make a 'jiggler' to keep it from screensaver mode until then)

23rdDjin

Wed May 04, 2016 1:17 pm

anode505 wrote:
(I'll have to make a 'jiggler' to keep it from screensaver mode until then)

on the other hand, you could simply choose "Disable Screensaver".

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

Basil

Wed May 04, 2016 3:20 pm

It doesn't go to Home during the screen saver. It goes to Home after the app is idle for a period of time, whether or not the screen saver is running.

Some apps on some devices don't go to screensaver during idle time. Roku will, though, exit to Home after an extended period of time. Then, the screensaver will kick in after the Wait Time has passed.

If your app on your device doesn't hinder the screensaver, it appears as if Roku is exiting to Home during screensaver. But it's actually exiting to Home whether or not the screensaver is running.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:

anode505

Wed May 04, 2016 4:48 pm

jiggler it is

w7ox

Sat May 07, 2016 7:59 pm

Basil wrote:
From what I'm reading, that is intentional. In other words, a change in how it performs, not a bug.

I would suggest to Roku that changes like that be made optional via a menu setting. Users learn how the devices operate and establish behavior based upon that that best suits the user's particular wants and needs. When device behavior changes, that will upset the user's routine on a varying basis. Since I commonly return to the Home Page, it's not something I would have noticed. However, for you, it's a major change. And a menu setting to turn on/off such behavior would have been a better implementation.

Yes! I use the USB port to watch movies on a hard drive. I'd like not to relocate where I was the next time I turn the TV on.

Emissary35

Sun May 08, 2016 3:06 pm

No need to force this feature that is unwanted by a lot of people, I too like to come back and resume whatever show I am watching on any app. There is no need to boot me to the home screen just because some designer made this change. I'm really sick and tired of things like this being forced and no option to disable, just check out all the nonsense on the Netflix app that you can't shut off, streaming is starting to develop a lot of annoyances. It seems as though just because some feature can be added it must be, and without choice.

IKV1476

Mon May 09, 2016 8:28 pm

I have been dealing with this for a week or so now.
I figured I would see how it goes, and I don't like it.
Please give us an option to disable this "feature".

RockYou

Wed May 11, 2016 4:01 pm

Roku seems to keep finding ways to convince me to never buy another one of their boxes... like I really needed any more convincing. Of course, now I might just decide to not wait any longer but go ahead and replace what I have with something else that actually works properly.

Resume is the #1 reason why I still prefer DVD to Blu-ray; it's built-in to the player, whereas only some Blu-ray discs provide it. A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

Roku has become just plain stupid.

Elijah_Baley

Wed May 11, 2016 4:46 pm

RockYou wrote:
Resume is the #1 reason why I still prefer DVD to Blu-ray; it's built-in to the player, whereas only some Blu-ray discs provide it. A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

You do not know what you are talking about.

Roku has its shortcomings but failing to be able to resume is not one of them. It is up to the channel developer if the "resume" function is implemented and even then sometimes the source does not allow it. Roku, mostly, does not write or control the channels and they do not force developers to implement features.

As far as I know all the major channels have resume and many of the minor. In fact no channel I use does not have that ability except WatchESPN and I have inquired there and ESPN/ABC says there are no plans to implement resume as they do not see a demand. (Their words, not mine.)
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss

Wed May 11, 2016 4:54 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
RockYou wrote:

You do not know what you are talking about.

Roku has its shortcomings but failing to be able to resume is not one of them. It is up to the channel developer if the "resume" function is implemented and even then sometimes the source does not allow it. Roku, mostly, does not write or control the channels and they do not force developers to implement features.

As far as I know all the major channels have resume and many of the minor. In fact no channel I use does not have that ability except WatchESPN and I have inquired there and ESPN/ABC says there are no plans to implement resume as they do not see a demand. (Their words, not mine.)

You said it before I could.

It's kinda weird that the Roku returns to the home screen after a pre-set amount of time, but I think that provides a cleaner experience - most people who leave the Roku in a channel probably did it because they were done, or because they forgot to hit "home" - starting the Roku on the home screen the next day isn't a bad idea for most people.

Ultimately, it's up to the channel designer to implement a resume function. My ideal is to have one of the first options upon loading a channel be to resume the last thing watched (like Plex does), but that's not up to Roku.

RockYou

Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

I know exactly what I'm talking about, but you apparently do not.

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

You need to pay better attention to what's actually being said.

Basil

Wed May 11, 2016 6:31 pm

RockYou wrote:
I know exactly what I'm talking about, but you apparently do not.

I'm saying that I expect the Roku to be where I left it, when I left it the last time I watched whatever channel I was watching. It used to do that; now it doesn't. I'm not talking about a channel UI feature for Resume, which is in fact present on any and all of the ones I use. There's nothing "clean" about abnormally terminating a channel after a few hours of being idle. It's just Roku saying "Forget you!"

You need to pay better attention to what's actually being said.

I think he picked up where you said:
RockYou wrote:
...A box that won't let you resume where you stopped, regardless of how long it's been since stopping (let alone only a few hours), isn't worth having.

That can easily be read to say that you think Roku is preventing you from resuming, say, Netflix (or Amazon or whatever). It's not stopping that. It's making you go back into the app, find the content (though some do have a "continue watching" option). But it's not stopping that or losing the bookmark. You weren't saying that, but it could easily be read that way.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous: