Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dfgsrzwer

Re: Roku returns to home screen after a certain amount of ti

Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:50 am

I've seen those "wish lists" on other sites as well. In most caes they are ignored, as the requests are often so pie-in-the-sky that any good suggestions get lost.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:02 pm

dfgsrzwer wrote:
I've seen those "wish lists" on other sites as well. In most caes they are ignored, as the requests are often so pie-in-the-sky that any good suggestions get lost.

That's exactly the problem with the Roku wish list. Lots of crazy "integrate a DVD player!" style requests, and the noise ratio is too high. I'm sure Roku reads them, but I can't be sure the ideas that have been brought to market are because of the list, or just because that's where development was headed.

remrem

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

I signed up today just to register my complaint about this new 'feature' that returns to the Home Page after a short break in viewing. I use Roku almost exclusively to watch Netflix. Returning to the last movie or TV series I was watching was very convenient. Now it's at least an extra 3 -4 clicks and a wait time to reload Netflix and then I still have to scroll to find what I was watching again. Plus, when I accessed Roku help chat I was taken thru the steps to delete and reload Netflix which of course looked like it fixed the problem because of the short time frame where Roku had not yet defaulted to Home. Felt like I was deceived by customer support for not telling me outright that this was intentional with the latest upgrade and not a bug. I also gave a good rating to the CS on the survey that followed for 'fixing' the problem. That's 3 big strikes against Roku, imo.

Roku constantly sends me e-mails to add new channels. I agree with another poster that this change is most likely about getting money. I suspect that how Roku gets paid or what the channel owners want Roku to do (make sure people go to the home page where they might be more likely to browse and add channels) is behind this. The lack of any moderator weighing in on this discussion thread would seem to confirm that. THIS WILL NOT GET ME TO ADD CHANNELS, IT ONLY TICKS ME OFF! :evil: Roku needs to add an option to turn this on/off and let those who want to be able go back to the old set up they had, do so.

twiceover

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:30 am

remrem wrote:
Roku constantly sends me e-mails to add new channels.

Check for an opt-out or unsubscribe button. I don't think I've ever received an email about new channels. In fact, other than device promotions, I pretty rarely ever receive an email from Roku.

remrem

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:19 am

twiceover wrote:
Check for an opt-out or unsubscribe button. I don't think I've ever received an email about new channels. In fact, other than device promotions, I pretty rarely ever receive an email from Roku.

There is only 1 way to opt out - unsubscribe within the e-mail itself - which cancels all notifications. There doesn't seem to be any setting from within my account that let's me turn off notifications by type. It's like, don't want all our e-mails, then fine, you'll get none including any money off offers on new devices. There may have been the ability to select options at one time (or maybe just at initial sign up) that are no longer available.

ginahoy

Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:45 pm

remrem wrote:
There is only 1 way to opt out - unsubscribe within the e-mail itself - which cancels all notifications.

Best I can tell, channel promos and other emails from Roku are completely separate from forum notifications. What I do know is that I receive notification emails to subscribed threads in this forum and I've received zero promotional emails from Roku since I clicked the unsubscribe link in a promo email back in 2013 (yes, I actually track unsubscribe attempts :shock:)

BTW, thanks for posting your comment and opinion on this unfortunate change to Roku. I'm the one who suggested it may be to increase exposure to the banner ad on the home page, but your comment about channels paying for more home page views also seems plausible.

junkmail

Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:55 pm

This just ticks me right off. Is there some other competitors box that I can buy to not have it exit me out of what I was in the middle of each time?

Very annoying. I would gladly spend $100 to end this problem forever. I paused because I wanted to pause, not because I wanted to reboot to home screen. Duh. Who's bright idea was this? You're fired!

I joined the forum just to find if there is any alternative solution to this problem. I thought the Roku was broken or something. I rebooted my router, reinitialized Netflix, etc..

Anybody? Any solution? I am happy to throw this stupid box out the window.

DubTaylor

Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 pm

junkmail wrote:
Very annoying. I would gladly spend $100 to end this problem forever. I paused because I wanted to pause, not because I wanted to reboot to home screen. Duh. Who's bright idea was this? You're fired!

I joined the forum just to find if there is any alternative solution to this problem. I thought the Roku was broken or something. I rebooted my router, reinitialized Netflix, etc..

Anybody? Any solution? I am happy to throw this stupid box out the window.

No need to spend $100... Here's a certified refurbished Amazon Fire TV (Gen 2 4K capable) for the unbelievable low, low price of $94 dollars with free Prime 2 Day Shipping! (looks like it even comes with popcorn)

https://www.amazon.com/Certified-Refurb ... efurbished

Never say you didn't find immediate help right here on the Roku Forums.

junkmail

Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:48 am

Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Fire TV Stick with Google's Chromecast. They are pretty cheap. Anyone with any experience with them? Don't want to end up in the same boat. None of the reviews of the Roku mention the auto-un-pause feature I am now experiencing.

Basil

Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:52 am

junkmail wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I was also looking at the Fire TV Stick with Google's Chromecast. They are pretty cheap. Anyone with any experience with them? Don't want to end up in the same boat. None of the reviews of the Roku mention the auto-un-pause feature I am now experiencing.

I have both those devices. Good devices, as is the Apple TV. I honestly don't know if the others do this it not, as I use my Roku the most, and by a wide margin.

Chromecast works way different. It uses your phone/tablet to operate, so unless you leave your phone on the app for a long period of time, there's no avoiding the same situation with that device.

Fire Stick? Don't recall. Some here on the Forum use it a lot and could better elaborate.

Keep in mind this is a recent change in the behavior of Roku. Just as, a couple of months ago, Roku didn't do this, they changed how it worked. There's no guarantee others won't do this, too.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

junkmail

Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:32 am

Thank you Basil, for the great information from actual real life experience. Great value to me. :D

It would be perfect IMHO if Roku goes back to infinite pause capability. YMMV

jabberwocky16

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi there. I know this thread is a little old, but I was wondering if anyone has figured out how to stop the Roku from returning to the home screen? I understand it's not a big deal to many people, but I have tried to get used to it, and can't. And it's not just overnight that it goes back to the home screen. Sometimes it only takes an hour or two before kicking me back to the home screen.

I really hate it, but don't want to buy a different device just because of this one behavior. I have talked to someone who says his box doesn't return like mine... He has a different model than I do. I have the Roku 1, and I think he has a Roku 3.

ginahoy

Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:47 pm

jabberwocky16 wrote:
I have talked to someone who says his box doesn't return like mine... He has a different model than I do. I have the Roku 1, and I think he has a Roku 3.

I have Roku HD (1) and Roku 2 XD, and both do it. Previous comments suggests this behavior also occurs with Roku 3, indeed all models.

The only way I can imagine your friends Roku isn't affected is if its being used mostly for Plex. As noted in previous comments, Plex implements a 'stay alive' script (for other reasons) that interferes with Roku's new return-to-home script.

Emissary35

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:36 pm

The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen. My Roku was not idle, it just ended the streaming and brought me back to the Netflix movie menu and without even being allowed to sit long enough to enter screensaver mode it kicks me back to the menu. It does not do this on Plex however as mentioned here because when watching that I don't have this problem. Whatever jerk programmer put this into the Roku updates deserves a boot to the face, why is Roku ignoring our complaints on this? Oh that's right, they wanted to do this for their own nefarious reasons. Roku is really starting to suck, leave my player in the app until I decide to back out!

mikebdoss

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:45 pm

Emissary35 wrote:
The last two times I watched movies on Netflix in about 30 to 60 seconds I was booted to the home screen. My Roku was not idle, it just ended the streaming and brought me back to the Netflix movie menu and without even being allowed to sit long enough to enter screensaver mode it kicks me back to the menu. It does not do this on Plex however as mentioned here because when watching that I don't have this problem. Whatever jerk programmer put this into the Roku updates deserves a boot to the face, why is Roku ignoring our complaints on this? Oh that's right, they wanted to do this for their own nefarious reasons. Roku is really starting to suck, leave my player in the app until I decide to back out!

That's a totally different issue. We're talking about being kicked back to the homescreen when idle; your problem usually happens when there's a streaming problem, and the app crashes.