Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dennphill
Topic Author

Popup Ads now always in the way whenever I start ROKU

Tue May 17, 2016 6:47 pm

The last few weeks or so, whenever I start my ROKU 2 or my ROKU 3, it always starts (now) with HOME, and when I try to go to the content channels (to the right), there is now - never there before! - an ad for some show or other that 'blocks' the content channels! The remote is not responsive, and the only way I can get rid of the f****ng ad is to keep going from HOME to SETTINGS or MY FEED - up and down on the left several times - before I can then go to HOME then finally navigate to the right to the channels (Amazon or MET Opera or NOWHERETV, channels I watch) and the remote will function. If I don't jump up and down on the left side, then the ad blocks the channels and the remote just does not respond. What's going on with ROKU suddenly?

Oh, and I have a MAJOR grief with the remotes (both) suddenly not operating...the system works and the remote works then suddenly no chirp and no action. The ONLY solution I've found is that I need to unplug the 12V plug on the rear of the unit for a minute or two and let the system re-boot - takes a few minutes with the wiggly ROKU foot tapping. Aggravating! Really a poor system. Does this every 3-4 days on both my ROKU 3 and ROKU 2 players.

You will never get me supporting the ROKU TVs coming out. My comments already made to TechRadar and CNET on how poor and inconsistent the TCL products are if they are as poor as my ROKU units.

No support from tech support. They tell me to live with it (in broken Indian)! If this was not my only way to get MET Operas on demand and to be able to watch Classic Arts Showcase (when it's not buffering!!!), I'd s**t-can these ROKU players.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Popup Ads now always in the way whenever I start ROKU

Tue May 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Step 1: Calm down.

Step 2: Realize that glitches happen.

Step 3: There's really no more steps.

This is a glitch that has happened from time to time in 7.1 to different people at different times. It's happened to me a few times, but as you discovered, hitting HOME then UP or DOWN, then HOME gets you back to the Home Screen and when you go into the channel selection then, the glitch is gone.

It's not a pop-up ad. It's a glitch in the display of the menu. Notice that the ad is where it's always been. It's the menu that's not shifting over when the glitch happens.

If you're getting it a lot, then you've getting a streak of bad luck. It doesn't happen often, and when it does, it usually stops after navigating to another Main Menu item then back.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

twiceover

Wed May 18, 2016 8:53 am

I've never seen this happen.

TCL Roku TV. :D

bdillon

Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 am

4 Rokus, same glitch, every single day for the past couple of weeks, maybe longer. Has anyone experiencing this "glitch" tried resetting their Roku?
I'd like to but it's not reached a level of annoying that would make me want to go through the hassle of resetting my Roku and reordering my channels.

Basil

Wed May 18, 2016 12:57 pm

bdillon wrote:
4 Rokus, same glitch, every single day for the past couple of weeks, maybe longer. Has anyone experiencing this "glitch" tried resetting their Roku?
I'd like to but it's not reached a level of annoying that would make me want to go through the hassle of resetting my Roku and reordering my channels.

One day, a few weeks ago, I got this 3 to 4 times in a day. I didn't reset the box, but restarted it. Problem didn't reappear until this past weekend. Navigating away from the Home selection resolved it; no restart was necessary that time.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed May 18, 2016 1:07 pm

We're aware of this issue. One of the workarounds noted by Basil is to just navigate off the Home screen (go down to My Feed, then back to Home, for example). It should resolve itself then.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

Jazztoon

Thu May 19, 2016 3:57 am

This workaround is not a satisfactory long-term solution. My Roku does this now every single time I attempt to use it. I have to go to home, scroll down and up, then home a bunch of times before it finally works properly. I'd like to not have to do that. Any progress on resolving this glitch?

Basil

Thu May 19, 2016 5:52 am

Jazztoon wrote:
This workaround is not a satisfactory long-term solution. My Roku does this now every single time I attempt to use it. I have to go to home, scroll down and up, then home a bunch of times before it finally works properly. I'd like to not have to do that. Any progress on resolving this glitch?

Ah. So now you understand why it's called a "workaround" and not a "solution?"

Also, you didn't say if you restarted the Roku.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

Jazztoon

Thu May 19, 2016 10:10 am

My (obvious) point is I don't want a workaround, I ultimately want a solution. Yes, restarted. Done all the usual logical things to try. Every time I want to use my roku, I have to engage in this "workaround" game. Would love a permanent solution instead. There, did I show my smarts now? :mrgreen:

trekkeriii

Thu May 19, 2016 10:13 am

Jazztoon wrote:
My (obvious) point is I don't want a workaround, I ultimately want a solution. Yes, restarted. Done all the usual logical things to try. Every time I want to use my roku, I have to engage in this "workaround" game. Would love a permanent solution instead. There, did I show my smarts now? :mrgreen:

Long-term they most likely will have it fixed in a firmware update.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mikebdoss

Thu May 19, 2016 10:27 am

Jazztoon wrote:

The whole purpose of a workaround for a bug is that you use it until the problem is fixed. A Roku representative has said that they're aware of the problem and are working to fix it. You can use the workaround until it's fixed. Seems like a pretty simple concept. We know you want a fix - we all do. A fix is coming.

Basil

Thu May 19, 2016 10:58 am

Jazztoon wrote:
...Yes, restarted. Done all the usual logical things to try. Every time I want to use my roku, I have to engage in this "workaround" game. ...

That is troubling. It's only happened a few times with me. Workaround solved it -- as in it didn't repeat for some time -- in all instances (3 or 4) but one, and a reboot stopped that.

Your frustration is certainly understandable. I have a family member who was part of the Beta program for 7.1 (Roku 3) and he said he never saw this -- until it went live. Go figure.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

dfgsrzwer

Sun May 22, 2016 12:01 pm

I saw it for the first time today (in 16:9 480i mode). Hitting "Home" twice made it disappear. I think this may be similar to the custom themes background not working correctly in the same mode.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

john262

Sun May 22, 2016 4:29 pm

I am seeing it too. But as has been pointed out it is easy to navigate away from it. I suspect that they will fix this soon.

vnazario

Sat May 28, 2016 8:07 am

Hello:

Add me to the ones affected by this new bug. I saw it for the first time on my bedroom 2 XS unit last night. At least the work a round is simple to apply until it is fixed in another FW update.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps