Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JRob
Topic Author

Roku 3 won't add channels

Fri May 20, 2016 12:03 pm

Hello! I've been unable to add channels to my two 4200X Roku 3s for the last week or so. I cannot add channels using the channel store on the Roku or manually from the Roku website. I can select to add the channel on the Roku and I'll get an adding channel pop up dialogue (i.e. "Adding Epix"), but after a few seconds that disappears and I'm back to the Add channel screen rather than a Go to/Remove channel screen. When I try to add a channel from the Roku website, it says the channel has been installed, but the channel doesn't show up on the Roku (not after checking updates, restarting, waiting 24 hours, etc). I've had various Rokus for 7 or 8 years and never had this issue.

So far, I've tried restarting the Roku, resetting the wireless, disconnecting/reconnecting the Roku to the network, checking for updates (thinking perhaps this issue is impacting others, too), and finally, as a last resort, doing a factory reset. None of these enabled me to once again add channels (though several channels I'd previously tried to add suddenly showed up when I did factory reset-- however, I'd rather not do a factory reset every time I want to add a channel since this requires me to spend an hour syncing up my other 37 channels with the proper account info & passwords). Before the factory reset, I was also unable to remove channels, but that ability was restored with the factory reset-- just not the ability to add channels.

Again, I have two 4200X Roku 3s with software version 7.1.0, build 4062-04, both experiencing this issue. Any help would be appreciated!

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Roku 3 won't add channels

Fri May 20, 2016 2:42 pm

Do you have a microSD card installed? If so, remove it.

I'm thinking there is something going on with one of the apps. If it's on the device already (microSD card) removing it may help.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo, Android TV (MiBox)

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

JRob
Topic Author

Fri May 20, 2016 4:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. No microSD, but I've thought the same thing about the apps. I deleted the newest channels I could think of that I'd downloaded, restarting after each to try to see if that fixed it, but haven't hit on anything yet. I saw a post somewhere of a person having a similar issue and deleting a game fixed it, but I don't have any games so I figured it must be a channel.

Basil

Fri May 20, 2016 5:00 pm

JRob wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. No microSD, but I've thought the same thing about the apps. I deleted the newest channels I could think of that I'd downloaded, restarting after each to try to see if that fixed it, but haven't hit on anything yet. I saw a post somewhere of a person having a similar issue and deleting a game fixed it, but I don't have any games so I figured it must be a channel.

Some have reported issues with Netflix. That surprises me, but if they experienced it, they experienced it. Might be worth a shot.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

23rdDjin

Fri May 20, 2016 5:32 pm

try doing a forced update, two in a row, to see if there's an update not coming through (and could also tell you how many channels, etc are backed up behind it).

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

J_C

Sun May 22, 2016 4:29 pm

I am also having the same issues on all 4 of my Roku's; Roku3, XS,XD, & LT. I contacted support, over 30 minutes on chat which no success, saying they would have to get back to me in 48 hours. The meantime I reset the LT, readded it to my account and all the channels including the ones I was trying to add showed up, so I reset them all. When support contacted me 3 days later, I had already fixed the issue. Now a week later I'm trying to add another channel without success, yes I have some private channels but why is this happening?? Trying to add channels from the Channel Store will not add, neither when going into Settings & System Update, Rebooting does nothing either.

23rdDjin

Sun May 22, 2016 6:57 pm

when you update, is the first update attempted a channel update for something you already have installed? a Netflix update clogged mine. i finally deleted Netflix, the updates came in, then i re-added Netflix... but it wouldn't re-add, no matter what i did. after unknown number of days it finally showed up. two weeks ago i had the same clog happen with an Amazon Prime update. i "solved" it the same way, with the same result of Amazon Prime not re-adding... still hasn't come in, but at least other channels and updates are somehow coming in"around" it. i have the same Amazon clog on my other Roku3, separate account, with a backlog (back clog?) of channels and updates, but have no intention at this moment of applying the same "solution" as it would be senseless to remove the remaining access to AmazonP.

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

rcanipe

Tue May 24, 2016 11:23 am

I just posted about this. It looks like ROKU is having software problems and won't own up to them.

Looks like it's time to go to Amazon Fire or Apple TV!

Basil

Tue May 24, 2016 11:33 am

rcanipe wrote:
I just posted about this. It looks like ROKU is having software problems and won't own up to them.

Those are good devices. You'll enjoy them. I enjoy mine.

As for Roku, I'm not having any problems. So, if it's a Roku issue, it's not impacting everyone. People always choose to ignore this, for some reason.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

rcanipe

Tue May 24, 2016 11:54 am

Basil wrote:
rcanipe wrote:

As for Roku, I'm not having any problems. So, if it's a Roku issue, it's not impacting everyone. People always choose to ignore this, for some reason.

Have you tried to add a channel lately? Or delete one and try and add it back?

THis is affecting large numbers of people, or companies like Netflix wouldn't be sending out alerts about it.

Basil

Tue May 24, 2016 12:35 pm

rcanipe wrote:
Basil wrote:
rcanipe wrote:

THis is affecting large numbers of people, or companies like Netflix wouldn't be sending out alerts about it.

Just now, after reading your comment, I went and added NBC News channel to my Roku. I had never added it before. Launched a news clip. Watched it.

Launched Netflix. Signed out of Netflix. Removed Netflix. Rebooted. Added Netflix. Signed in to Netflix. Started watching Netflix.

I'll run any other tests you suggest. I did this on a Roku 3 model 4200. So, again, I'm not experiencing the issue. And I've not see any alert from Netflix about it. If you have a link, I'd love to read it.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

rcanipe

Tue May 24, 2016 1:03 pm

Basil wrote:
rcanipe wrote:
Basil wrote:
rcanipe wrote:

Just now, after reading your comment, I went and added NBC News channel to my Roku. I had never added it before. Launched a news clip. Watched it.

Launched Netflix. Signed out of Netflix. Removed Netflix. Rebooted. Added Netflix. Signed in to Netflix. Started watching Netflix.

I'll run any other tests you suggest. I did this on a Roku 3 model 4200. So, again, I'm not experiencing the issue. And I've not see any alert from Netflix about it. If you have a link, I'd love to read it.

Find something else to do rather than getting in my way, asshat.

Basil

Tue May 24, 2016 1:14 pm

rcanipe wrote:
Basil wrote:
rcanipe wrote:

Find something else to do rather than getting in my way, asshat.

Still waiting on a link to a Netflix alert.
Basil
Roku Ultra (4660)

Previous:

jstr4life

Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:21 pm

No nothing of the Netflix alert, but I've got 2 Rokus and both have had issues. The Roku 3 had it with Netflix. The update would clog the works, and I did several factory resets. Last ditch effort to fix was to use my secondary email and link to that Roku and manually readd all the channels from my previous account. The TCL Roku TV we got recently works great, but lately Youtube will refuse to connect and if removed to attempt a fix, it won't reinstall. Doesn't stop other channels from adding, but even a forced update tries to install youtube for a second and then finishes only to show the youtube install on each subsequent update check. Did a factory reset on it and it worked fine for about a week...and now it's down again. I'm not doing another restart.

Duane420

Thu Sep 05, 2019 5:27 pm

I've been having this problem since Monday. I don't know what's going on it says I don't have enough space and I am to delete some channels. I have deleted over 50 channels but I can still not add some new channels I really want. It also says that it is downloading a channel called Quiz TV every time I update my software. I don't know what this channel is nor did I choose to download it.