Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

empirefalls
Topic Author

the new "WEB" channel......so far, dont have good vibes

Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:32 am

"Web
Developer:Share Media LLC
Browse the most popular websites. News, Weather, Sports, Entertainment, Finance and more. WebBrowser.us - Enjoy the most popular news, weather, sports, entertainment and finance websites on your television with the first graphical web browser for Roku. Web for Roku makes it easy to browse to any website or url on your Roku"
$4.99 a month.....no free trial....no refunds

$4. 99 a month
no free trial
no refunds
ALL RED FLAGS

Did not Add this channel but based on the above: 1 Star...
SUBJECT TO CHANGE but not til i read great ratings
Last edited by empirefalls on Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

danat275

Re: the new "WEB" channel......so far 1 Star..Hate it

Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:41 am

I don't know anyone who would pay $4.99 for a web browser,much less $4.99 a month,yes i know developers take alot of time making and maintaining channels on here,with that said,i wouldn't mind paying maybe $2.99 for one time fee or even a yearly fee,flower if the browser works great,the developer could stand to make lots of money selling it to roku,and make it a selling point for the device..

empirefalls
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:53 am

i 'may' pay $5 as i do alot of going back and forth between Roku and Internet on my computer at night. i am not going to chance $5 than the hassle of canceling cause it is not worth it

Markp

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:37 am

Has anyone actually tried this channel? Does it function like a web browser? Can you watch videos from various sites? Would appreciate input from users out there. Appreciated.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 am

Markp wrote:
Has anyone actually tried this channel? Does it function like a web browser? Can you watch videos from various sites? Would appreciate input from users out there. Appreciated.

Wouldn't support flash regardless, because it would require adobe to produce a plugin for Roku. Adobe pretty much stopped production on Flash for mobile devices (and is not adding new devices to be supported).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mikebdoss

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:08 am

I'm all for pointing out channels that have major problems, are broken, or that you just really, really think everyone should know about, but you're posting a "review" of a channel you haven't used at all.

Elijah_Baley

Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:09 am

trekkeriii wrote:
Markp wrote:

Wouldn't support flash regardless, because it would require adobe to produce a plugin for Roku. Adobe pretty much stopped production on Flash for mobile devices (and is not adding new devices to be supported).

There is one way a channel "could' play videos from a web site that uses Flash. That is they "could" use the same technique that Plex uses for their "Watch Later" and many of the Plex channels. Have a server, usually needs to be fairly powerful, that transcodes the videos on the fly.

This approach "could" work but combining that with displaying modern web pages in a remotely readable and usable format would make designing a usable web browser for the Roku a quite daunting task and the programmer(s) that solve (or have solved) it well deserve pretty good compensation.

Having said all that even if this works I would have no interest in it. I can play everything I want to play on my TV through many of the devices (sometimes augmented with Plex's capabilities) I have hooked up and I have zero desire to actually browse the web on my TV. My TV is better used for the playing of video and my computer monitor is plenty large at 32 inches.

If this is a true web browser that works even just OK then it has value for many BUT $4.99/month seems way too high just to browse the web.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

MWDXER

Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:58 am

I wanted a Roku Web Browser too, but I finally gave up and went after a Chromecast stick, so I can use Chrome to cast anything to my TV. It work very well. The apps that Roku has are great, but if there is no app, then casting is there. I like to watch some programming on KBS World (Korea), and some of it is in English, like their pop music shows, but no KBS World available on the Roku, so I cast it with the Chromecast. I like watching the news from KTLA 5 LA, but not on the Roku, but I can cast in HD to the TV from the Chromecast. You Tube is much easier to use with the Chromecast. So having access to a browser makes life easier.

empirefalls
Topic Author

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:22 am

mikebdoss wrote:
I'm all for pointing out channels that have major problems, are broken, or that you just really, really think everyone should know about, but you're posting a "review" of a channel you haven't used at all.

Point taken. I edited the title.

jeffrok

Re: the new "WEB" channel......so far, dont have good vibes

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:44 am

$5 is steep, but if you don't like it after your one month, just cancel. Yes, you're out your $5, but at least it's only $5 once.

Speaking about paying for channels, does Roku have a refund policy line Android and Apple, where if you act within a certain time period, you can get a no questions asked refund?
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Elijah_Baley

Thu Jun 16, 2016 12:51 pm

jeffrok wrote:
$5 is steep, but if you don't like it after your one month, just cancel. Yes, you're out your $5, but at least it's only $5 once.

Speaking about paying for channels, does Roku have a refund policy line Android and Apple, where if you act within a certain time period, you can get a no questions asked refund?

I have never heard of such and I do not remember anyone reporting getting a refund on a channel except when billing took place after cancellation.

Since I have never bought a subscription channel through the Roku system and the pay channels I have bought I have kept or discovered that I did not want them well after any reasonable refund period would have expired I have never run into the issue BUT it does make sense and Roku "should" have that policy for anything bought through their system. Of course with Roku, and most other companies as well, what "should be" and what "is" have no real relationship with each other.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

trothatl

Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:15 pm

ImageActually, the Web app has been around since last November. The "new" app is called Browser. It's the same app from the same developer, the only difference I could see is that you can now enter your own URLs and aren't limited to the app's own preloaded list. Browser and Web both do the same thing - they render a single web page into a static image that is then displayed on your TV through the Roku. You can scroll up and down the page, but there is no other interaction, including no ability to follow links. I just posted the full review at http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/browser if anyone wants more information, and screenshots of how the app rendered a couple of web pages are shown below.

There is another browser app, PoPrism, that does let you follow links, but its usefulness is limited because it is text-based (http://www.rokuguide.com/channels/poprism-web-browser)