Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:53 pm

In my unscientific guesstimate, over 80% of 4xxx (Roku 3, 4) players have been converted now.
Seems the journey towards the 7.2 side is nigh complete.

FX4

Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Only one of my eight devices has updated so I think they have a ways to go yet.
OTA - Antennacraft HDX 1000
Roku 4 (x1)
Roku 3 (x3)
Roku Streaming Stick (x1)
Roku2 XS (x4)
Nvidia Shield
Raspberry Pi XBMC
MacMini XBMC/Plex
ATV3 (x2)

dfgsrzwer

Sat Jul 02, 2016 1:34 am

EnTerr wrote:
In my unscientific guesstimate, over 80% of 4xxx (Roku 3, 4) players have been converted now.
Seems the journey towards the 7.2 side is nigh complete.

My 3050 updated almost a week before my 4210 did. So there is nothing "scientific" about it.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

barneypoo69
Topic Author

Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:08 am

Still waiting for the update on mu Roku 4.
Roku 4, Time Warner Cable 200/20 & Asus RT-N66U
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

EnTerr

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:26 am

dfgsrzwer wrote:
EnTerr wrote:
In my unscientific guesstimate, ...
My 3050 updated almost a week before my 4210 did. So there is nothing "scientific" about it.

Well that depends on how you relate to RNG ("Roku Number Governor" for determinists or "Random Number Gods"/"RN Jesus" for mystics). The way the upgrade process works is each player has a daily "call to prayer", in which it addresses the Cloud
Our Father who "R" in heaven,
... Give us this day our daily update,
... if thou be willing,
... nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.
Yours faithfully, 1GU46U039659
And the RNG looks down upon their serial number and says Yay or Nay.

The reason why not everyone gets upgraded at the same time is because the Co. is doing what's called "staggered releases" - and "RN Jesus" judges based on S/N. If a number is "blessed", it may receive betas. Did i mention the model can be determined from the S/N?

Now, has somebody paid attention if one of their players always received updates 1st, when another always always receives them last?

Basil

Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:41 am

EnTerr wrote:
Now, has somebody paid attention if one of their players always received updates 1st, when another always always receives them last?

I've found my Roku 3 to get updates early on, sometimes being one of the first to get them, and at other times, one of the later ones. I'm sure there's some rhyme or reason to what gets a push when, but, for me anyway, it causes a variation in the timeline. Whatever it is doesn't always guarantee a particular device gets it at the same time in a rollout period.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

barneypoo69
Topic Author

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:16 pm

I wonder if the delay with the firmware update 7.2 is due to reported issues with lossing the pairing of the remote ?
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer

CEG

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:26 pm

LukeBK wrote:
They did fix some sound issues. They already released a update for the fan noise issue.

Also the text to speech option is great for people with bad eyesight.

How serious is the fan noise issue with the Roku 4? I keep trying make myself buy one and I had forgotten I had heard there is fan noise and I hate, hate, hate fan noise.
Last edited by CEG on Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CEG

Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:32 pm

lvporta wrote:
Is the 7.2 update for Roku 4 only? Does it apply to Roku 3 and Roku 2? TIA

I got the update to 7.2 for my 2015 Roku 3 a couple of days ago.

thetick

Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:42 pm

Basil wrote:
I've found my Roku 3 to get updates early on, sometimes being one of the first to get them, and at other times, one of the later ones. I'm sure there's some rhyme or reason to what gets a push when, but, for me anyway, it causes a variation in the timeline. Whatever it is doesn't always guarantee a particular device gets it at the same time in a rollout period.

A simple way would involve a hash. It's a common programming practice. A very simple example for understanding the creating the order for updates would be for each release just create a random starting string (the hash) and use that bit-wise xored with the serial # then just run all that through a bit shifter.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

Basil

Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:54 pm

thetick wrote:
Basil wrote:

A simple way would involve a hash. It's a common programming practice. A very simple example for understanding the creating the order for updates would be for each release just create a random starting string (the hash) and use that bit-wise xored with the serial # then just run all that through a bit shifter.

I can think of a bunch of ways to generate a pseudo-random series, too. My point is that there doesn't seem to be a definite pattern. The question posed was if anyone noticed if their box always got updates early, or with multiple boxes, if one got it before the others. My answer was a long way of saying no, and giving the reason.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

EnTerr

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:50 am

Basil wrote:
I can think of a bunch of ways to generate a pseudo-random series, too. My point is that there doesn't seem to be a definite pattern. The question posed was if anyone noticed if their box always got updates early, or with multiple boxes, if one got it before the others. My answer was a long way of saying no, and giving the reason.

Indeed - that's what i was asking and thank you^ for answering!
It helps to reason as to how RNG gets fed/seeded. E.g. we know player identity (S/N) is involved, since repeatedly forcing update check don't "bring home the bacon". That order of update is not preserved between roll-outs tells us there is additional element (like date, build#, blob hash etc) involved.

(^) esp. appreciated since IMO you can be trusted for being methodical, observant and cool-headed

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:24 am

I thought this has been explained previously, but perhaps not. The normal process for updating is a staged release. We first release to N units. During this time, whether a unit gets the update is random. The player identity (serial number) is not relevant, except in special cases like units in a beta group. Manual updates may or may not be treated specially -- depending on the rules we configure for that update, a manual update attempt may always get the update, never get it, or get it randomly like an automatic update. Once N units have updated, the updates stop for a few days while we evaluate the results. Then if all is well we release to another M units (M > N). Again the updates are random until M more units have updated. Then updates stop again while we evaluate. (During these pauses it seems distressingly common for conspiracy theories to start popping up on the forum speculating about the nefarious reason why updates have stopped. :?) After several of these update cycles we finally open the gates and release to all units. The whole process normally takes several weeks if all goes well.

--Mark

lvporta

Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:55 am

Okay so the 7.2 update came over on my Roku 3 over the weekend. What specifically was the update for. Should I notice any differences? Should I restart my Roku 3 after the update? TIA for your responses.

barneypoo69
Topic Author

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:15 am

Mark said N units first then M units, not sure what a N or M unit is, but just guessing, my Roku 4 is a 4400R, so is mine a R unit ?
HDfury Integral
Samsung 50JS7000 SUHD
Marantz SR5009
Oppo BDP-80
Paradigm & NHT speakers
SVS subwoofer