Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering

Re: New OS Firmware 7.2 update info

Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:20 am

Sorry, I was speaking rather mathematically. N and M are just numbers. We release to a certain quantity of units in the first phase, then a larger number of units in the second phase, and so on.

--Mark

aguero90

Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:46 am

How do I use text to speech option? I have a roku3, but can't find it anywhere. Where do you turn it on? Thanks! This will help me.
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:52 am

aguero90 wrote:
How do I use text to speech option? I have a roku3, but can't find it anywhere. Where do you turn it on? Thanks! This will help me.

You mean the Voice Search feature on the Roku 3 model 4230? Is your Roku 3 that model?

Or do you mean the voice search via the Roku app on your phone?
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

EnTerr

Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:22 pm

aguero90 wrote:

You can't.
Apparently https://sdkdocs.roku.com/display/sdkdoc/Text+to+Speech is something that each app developer has to implement manually, if they feel like it - does not sound like an Accessibility menu in Roku Settings (akin to iOS and Android TalkBack). Seems like only a perfunctory compliance with FCC mandate, so far.

I summarize 7.2 as "move along people - nothing to see here". Not right away anyway - but there might be slight improvements in some channels months and months ahead.

aguero90

Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:27 am

That's disappointing! Does the mobile app act like a screen for your roku, like your tv? Reason I ask, is because when I get this amazing piece of tech in a couple weeks, I'll be able to download any google playstore app! http://store.humanware.com/hus/braillen ... ch-32.html
Roku Ultra, Sharp AQUOS 80. Haven't missed a Yanks radio broadcast since I was 8 in 98. Go Yanks!

EnTerr

Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:39 am

aguero90 wrote:
That's disappointing! Does the mobile app act like a screen for your roku, like your tv? Reason I ask, is because when I get this amazing piece of tech in a couple weeks, I'll be able to download any google playstore app! http://store.humanware.com/hus/braillen ... ch-32.html

No.
I doubt Roku's mobile app would be of help there. In fact i remember it being pretty "infernal" re accessibility a few years back. I just tried the RokuCo's app on iPhone and am glad to report it has MAJORLY improved in that area - like it seems usable now in VoiceOver, while still bumpy here and there.

I myself as developer was incredibly moved five years ago when i read a comment on Roku's blog. In fact, it was so good - let me quote it, i was able to find it:
Guest wrote:
My boyfriend is visually impaired. With cable tv he could easily scroll through the channels until he heard something that he liked. Remember, just because he can't see the tv screen doesn't mean he doesn't like to 'watch' tv and movies. I've downloaded a few of the remote apps out there for his ipad but none of them are very helpful for him. While it is convenient to use his ipad as a remote, simply scolling with arrows is not useful as he cannot see the images on the tv screen to select from. He needs to be able to see the images and menus that are on the tv screen on his ipad where he can magnify them and choose them by using his touchscreen. DVPRemote has the ability to choose titles directly from our Netflix queue and choose from different channels but he is unable to make selections once at those channels. As Roku becomes more popular, I hope that accessibility issues like this can be explored and developed so that it is user friendly for the blind and visually impaired poopulation. Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.
Being "moved" by the adversity some have to deal with, resulted in my determination to make my "Remote for Roku" app for iOS (there was no "Roku by Roku Inc" app back then) as accessible as i could. So i enabled VoiceOver and made sure each button had the right name to be heard, that channel icons included the names etc - not a lot of work really, when you sit to do it.

Later RokuCo released their own remote app, which initially totally lacked in the accessibility department (like tapping on screen, everything was "button... button... button...") - but fast-forward a few years to now, it's actually bearable. Well, mine's VoiceOver labeling still is more complete :) - but their app has more features.

As a "Roku fan-boy" myself, i hate to say it but you might be better served by the competition, say AppleTV - see my note here (from ha, exactly two years ago!) viewtopic.php?f=34&t=71760#p448438 - things have changed there, now you can install apps there too. If Android is your thing, perhaps FireTV has better accessibility (i haven't tried, ask me to check if need be).

Grand Total

Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:18 pm

barneypoo69 wrote:
Mark said N units first then M units, not sure what a N or M unit is, but just guessing, my Roku 4 is a 4400R, so is mine a R unit ?
N and M in this context are numbers. So, for example, 20000 units then another 50000 units are updated.
Roku 3 (4200), now permanently back in it's box.

Tajson

Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Grand Total wrote:
N and M in this context are numbers. So, for example, 20000 units then another 50000 units are updated.

Statistically, N is the sample population size as in your test group. "MarkyMark" used M as N2 in his simplified pedagogy ways to say its bigger by the larger than sign without putting value to it.

I am sure that the value for MarkyMark's N and M are relative to the rollout aka could be 1000, 1000, 1000, 5000, 60000, and all as to 1000, 5000, 25000, and all.

wa4cua

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:41 am

It has been about a week since my Roku 3 and Roku Stick were updated but not update as of Today for my Roku 4.

Still hoping for DD+ to DD conversion for the optical port sometime before Republicans make it to the White House.

alizona

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:16 am

wa4cua wrote:
Still hoping for DD+ to DD conversion for the optical port sometime before Republicans make it to the White House.

We'll more than likely each have our own holodeck before that happens.

hansokl

Fri Jul 08, 2016 5:53 am

How do I get my Roku 4 updated?

I am currently on Version 7.1.0 and Build 4062-17 and check for update just says I have the latest version.

Thanks,

mikebdoss

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:41 am

hansokl wrote:

I am currently on Version 7.1.0 and Build 4062-17 and check for update just says I have the latest version.

Thanks,

It'll be available when Roku pushes it out to more people. There's no way to force it if it's not available for your player yet.

EnTerr

Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:51 am

7.2 has been deployed to <20% of Roku4 players as of right now.
(comp. Roku3, practically 100% are 7.2 now)

CEG

Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:56 am

wa4cua wrote:
It has been about a week since my Roku 3 and Roku Stick were updated but not update as of Today for my Roku 4.

Do you really think there is a realistic hope that the 4 will transcode Plus to Standard? For me, that is the search for the Holy Grail and I've been on that search for at least 4 years now. Another member solved this issue by replacing his 4 with a Amazon Fire TV box with optical out. I would buy a 4 tomorrow if it would transcode.

hansokl

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:35 am

mikebdoss wrote:
hansokl wrote:

Thanks,

It'll be available when Roku pushes it out to more people. There's no way to force it if it's not available for your player yet.

Thanks Mike!

I'm currently waiting on a response from the concerned department about my issues. My roku4 won't do 4k on my 4k tv. I was just hoping that a firmware update may fix my issue.