Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

vnazario
Topic Author

Poll: For Roku 2 XS users running new firmware 7.2

Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello:

I would like to poll those Roku 2 XS owners that are running the new 7.2 firmware. I would like to know if your boxes are still unexpectedly rebooting like before or if this major issue seems finally fixed.

Because my unit was unstable and rebooting I moved it to my bedroom TV so I don't use it that much. Good news, at least for me, it hasn't rebooted on me since the update to 7.2 kicked in. I would like to ask you guys Roku 2 XS owners that use it more than I, if this problem seems to have indeed gone away with the 7.2 update. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide useful information on this topic.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

alizona

Re: Poll: For Roku 2 XS users running new firmware 7.2

Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:30 pm

The 2XS is my main box and it gets used a lot. Hard to keep track of all the firmware updates. The rebooting problem was fixed, I thought, since the complaint posts stopped, over a year or so ago with the 6.something update. 2XS owners rejoiced.
Alas, we forgot who we were depending on. Roku Inc. seems determined to cripple the 2XS (the bestest streamer ever) and force us to "upgrade" to whatever shiny object they think will keep them ahead of the competition. And apparently without thoroughly testing the units to see if they actually work.
Not able to leave well enough alone they almost bricked it with the 7.0 something update designed for the Roku4. Took them 6 months to release the 7.1 fix for legacies. Although they pushed a fix for Roku 3's, I think it was, to cure ESPN channel woes almost immediately. Almost immediately in RokuWorld being about a month.
We got another 7.1 sometime after that. I did no harm. And now the 7.2. No harm so far.
Short version: My 2XS hasn't spontaneously rebooted since the 6.something update well over a year ago.

Grouchofish

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Have had no issues on my Roku 2 XS since the 7.2 update.

vnazario
Topic Author

Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:02 pm

Hello:

Thanks for those whom have posted on my thread. I was still having occasional random reboots with 7.1 but far lesser reboots than before. In other words, I had seen "improvement" but not a total fix. With 7.2 my box hasn't rebooted on me yet but since I don't use it as much anymore, I don't really know if I have been lucky enough to not cause the reboot within the times I have used it or is it indeed a "fixed" issue. This is why I am polling you guys with Roku 2 XS and updated 7.2 firmware. I suppose no new complaints on the forums and the few of you whom have answered my poll. So far, it looks good but I would like to hear from other 2 XS users still about their experience with their 2 XS models with the new updated firmware. Again, thanks to all who have and will post more information to this thread.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

BillNole

Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:34 pm

I'm sort of nervous to post this but (fingers crossed...) I don't remember ever having any troubles with my 2 XS and I've had it for years. It's always been connected to the TV in the bedroom and while it doesn't get used a lot, it has always been used occasionally, or at least often enough to know whether it's working or not.

I do have 7.2 on it and on my recently purchased new Roku 2, but not on my new (black) stick I picked up on it's release day. Weird Roku, just weird...

Verta

Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:14 am

I have restored my firewall settings and my XS on 7.1 is more or less ok. (I lowered some firewall settings to debug a different problem and forgot to put it back up in time.) i find the 7.x menus and especially the dialogs (. You know, the ones with error messages sometimes) to be very hard to read. The buttons are now fuzzy. I am sure they are fine enough on HD, which I don't have and I'm sure nobody cares that I don't have it. The non updated XS on 5.x is fine and legible.

I don't plan to allow an update to 7.2 as I like the performance as it is. (i.e. working) I can't add channels but then I don't need any new channels. I also no longer recommend the platform as the corporate attitude towards existing customers with regard to updates is unacceptable. Yes,I know there's a TOS I agreed to, of course I have to click ok to use it. I simply don't appreciate corporate breaking the box I paid for and enjoy then having to wait for a probable / eventual fix to problems that I didn't even have until code I didn't approve was forced onto the box. And I have the skill set and equipment to keep it from happening. Come on, I can read this site and others and make my own decision to update or not and I prefer to wait out breaking bugs instead of being infected with them against my better judgement.

I realize I am in a tiny, tiny minority and most customers don't know or care what firmware is and are happy to just let corporate do whatever it wants. But I am IT here, and it's My network, My rules. I am also customers service here and, "Buy a new one" is not an acceptable answer when it was working yesterday and isn't actually dead, just made unusable when it worked ok the day before.

Please, corporate, just leave us old timers with our old TVs and old Roku boxes alone. We might even buy a new one when it dies. Dies, not Is Borked by firmware. What actual difference does it really make to let us keep the old firmware?

mrjlturner

Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:16 pm

I've had zero random reboots with 7.2.4100 firmware. I have seen a few random "exit to main menu" type issues where the app just seems to die, but those are few.
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

vbathory

Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:35 am

Hi my box still restarts and the cbs all access channel will not load past the logo screen.

startreksteve

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:04 am

My son is getting this on his Roku 1, just quits to main menu in the middle of Netflix
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

vnazario
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:09 pm

Hello:

Well, after being so happy that my unit had seemed to stop rebooting, it is not "cured" yet.  Since I started this post, I have had maybe 4 sudden reboots.  Still, this version of firmware is more stable and my unexpected reboots are far less than before.  So definitive improvement but not yet "fixed" as I thought.  I just have to get in the habit of restarting my unit before watching something long.  Last time it rebooted on me, it was in the middle of watching the Sam Kinison stand up that was promo'ed on the Comedy Dynamics channel.
vnazario

belltown

Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:44 pm

Four re-boots for me. At least one with Netflix, and the others with Playstation Vue. The symptoms leading up the the re-boots were the same in each case. I was watching a video when the video seemed to slow down, and "stutter" intermittently for up to 30 seconds, playing a few frames at a time between brief pauses, then the device re-booted itself.
https://github.com/belltown/

4d3fect

Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:41 pm

haven't noticed anything, and that's just the way I like it.
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take

4d3fect

Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 pm

v 7.20, build 4100-2
TCL 4K Roku TV S403 / 7101X
Wired ethernet 100 Mbps give or take

atc98092

Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:20 pm

mrjlturner wrote:
I've had zero random reboots with 7.2.4100 firmware. I have seen a few random "exit to main menu" type issues where the app just seems to die, but those are few.

Mine has been pretty much the same. However, I just purchased a Roku Stick for when I travel and I now use it in place of the 2 XS, so haven't spent much time with it. YouTube is just unusable on the 2 XS, and the older Netflix UI is just plain annoying to use compared to the later versions. Hard to go back to the 2 XS any more.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

jdmac29

Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:15 pm

My 2xs is running fine now with 7.2 and I used it for several hours last week with no issues. Old firmware I got a lot of reboots after about 30 minutes of watching.