Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mc510

Re: Poll: For Roku 2 XS users running new firmware 7.2

Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:40 pm

With 7.2 I am getting all sorts of system crash/restarts. Never got them before, even on the very troubled 7.0

Pompey

Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Getting multiple spontaneous reboots on multiple channels, including Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, History, PBS, et al.  Never seems to occur on primary audio streaming channels.  Also still getting the strange doubled-up system sound on remote entries after the box has been idling for an extended period. This was the common occurrence pre version 7.  I always warm boot the box before every watching session .....  have been doing that for a long time now.
I have also had an ongoing issue with YouTube never streaming in HD, ever since the channel updated beyond build ***********42.  I believe it's up to build **********49 now.  Don't know if this issue is contingent with Roku software update.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

mc510

Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:24 am

Pompey wrote:
Getting multiple spontaneous reboots on multiple channels, including Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, YouTube, History, PBS, et al.

Pompey, are you seeing apps that spontaneously quit back to the Roku home screen, or only spontaneous system reboots?  I am getting both, and on multiple channels, so I am inclined to think that the fault lies with the 7.2 update. Very frustrating to be facing this again so soon after the 7.1 relieved us of the flaws of 7.0. 

Pompey

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:31 am

mc510 wrote:
Pompey, are you seeing apps that spontaneously quit back to the Roku home screen, or only spontaneous system reboots?  I am getting both, and on multiple channels, so I am inclined to think that the fault lies with the 7.2 update. Very frustrating to be facing this again so soon after the 7.1 relieved us of the flaws of 7.0. 

mc510, the only channel I experience that routinely quits to the home screen is Revision 3.  Occasionally, YouTube will quit to the home screen in the middle of a long video (upwards of an hour). Mostly though, it will crash the box along with the other channels I mentioned.  I agree with you ....   this whole scenario stinks like yesterday's fish.  I know there are those that say we should feel lucky and privileged that such an "old" device still works at all; but I beg to differ.  Maybe some say we should just buy the newest box ....  after all, these streaming boxes are so cheap, they are almost an impulse purchase.  I beg to differ. Maybe we already have multiple state-of-new-art boxes in our arsenal, from various vendors.  That doesn't mean that our box from several years ago should be tossed in the recycling bin.  I would just like to see a stable, reliable, predictable operating system for all Roku boxes, whether they're newborn or middle-aged.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

mc510

Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:35 pm

As the same problems exist across multiple apps, it seems pretty likely that the problem lies with the new Roku OS 7.2, so I've submitted a support ticket.

Shimba

Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:47 am

Can't stream anything now.  May stream a minute or two.  Then freeze and after a while, will return to whatever menu I was using. 

Started yesterday - September 1st.

I use the Roku 2 XS a lot.  Now nothing works.  Channel tiles appear fine. 

I reset unit.  Reset WIFI.  Turned WIFI off and back on.  Removed a number of channels - down to 25 channels now.

Google TV (old Netgear) works fine.  WIFI for smartphone works fine.

Also, the ethernet option stopped working a month ago.  Had to go WIFI for XS which seemed to work fine until a few days ago.  I was having to reset/reboot XS a couple times a day since going to WIFI only.  That was barely tolerable.  Now nothing works.

May go to Android TV.  But there are some features on the Roku that I like.

Hope they fix it and also put a post on this board.

Oh, logging into this forum was troublesome as well.