Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

empirefalls
Topic Author

I am using NETFLIX less and less nowadays...

Tue Jul 12, 2016 6:52 am

I have had my NETFLIX account for 7ish years. But now i find myself watching less and less nowadays. As in once weekly---and that is kinda forcing myself.

Not sure why. Obviously the first is nothing interests me much on Netflix. Most new releases of the past 7 years have been duds[IMO]- I am sick of the computer graphic movies. Virtually every time i think of an older mov to watch, say dawn of the dead,maybe a superman movie,green slime, the power .....they dont have it.

Going to turn off my membership at least temporary but got a feeling i am not coming back

elwaylite

Re: I am using NETFLIX less and less nowadays...

Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:16 am

I don't even use it for movies, mostly never have, unless I am getting blu-ray rentals.

Their originals are nailing it and I love them. I really dont imagine Netflix as a streaming movie service, I see it as a streaming service with great original content that allows me to rent blu-rays I dont want to buy. Blu-ray and UHD with lossless audio is where it is at for a movie experience anyways.

The study just released that Netflix is the least cancelled streaming service out there lends some credence to the fact people care about tv shows and original content.

lvporta

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:21 am

I use it for TV shows that I missed on other outlets. My granddaughters don't watch many children's shows anymore. I am subs for Netflix, Hulu Amazon Prime & CBS All Access along with DISH....going to have to cut back at some point

elwaylite

Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:25 am

lvporta wrote:
I use it for TV shows that I missed on other outlets. My granddaughters don't watch many children's shows anymore. I am subs for Netflix, Hulu Amazon Prime & CBS All Access along with DISH....going to have to cut back at some point

Amazon is the only other one I use right now, and that is because I was already a Prime member. I do truly love Bosch, but haven't gotten into much else over there. Between the two it is nice to be able to grab some free shows that you may have missed. I keep hoping Amazon will put out some more originals that I like, the problem will be keeping up with them, Netflix and my dvr content...

I still have two episodes to go on Daredevil Season 2, two on the newest Peaky Blinders left, have not started Bloodline Season 2 or Marco Polo Season 2 and now Stranger Things and a college football series are fixing to launch. Ugh...

BoloMKXXVIII

Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:12 am

Yep. Same here. I rarely ever watch movies from Netflix. I watch TV shows and original content. I too have Amazon video, but only because I use prime shipping. I rarely find anything I want to watch on Amazon Prime.
The NSA is the largest criminal organization in the United States.

davidjazz

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:31 am

I have both Amazon Prime and Netflix. I mostly watch foreign films and some documentaries. American back catalog, sometimes.

I never watch watch the original programming; it's too much like network TV, which I rarely watch.
I wonder if the emphasis on new episodic content will result in fewer movies available on Netflix.

For episodic programming I like Acorn, though much of that is now available elsewhere.

elwaylite

Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:45 am

Not sure how one could accuse Netflix's originals of being like most broadcast TV, but if you don't even like the stuff AMC, FX, HBO, Showtime, etc... is putting out, then I guess you would not like Netflix either.

To me there are two types of distinct shows put out, the stuff CBS/ABC pump out, and then the stuff HBO, AMC and Fx pump out (just easy examples). Two different tiers of quality.

mikeyts

Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:48 pm

I binge TV series on Netflix, only occasionally watching movies. I loved Jessica Jones and Daredevil, kind of fizzled out of interest in House of Cards in the second season and liked Marco Polo well enough but haven't gotten around to watching the 2nd season yet. Started watching the first episode of Orange is the New Black a few times but never finished it. Right now I'm re-watching several major network TV series: Alias, Bones, Criminal Minds and NCIS.

I'm happy enough with Netflix for the moment, but I've got 2-screens+UHD for $8/month; if they raise it I'll re-evaluate. I also subscribe to Hulu and CBS All Access; given the frequency with which I use them I should probably drop both. I've been an Amazon Prime member since long before they added video and would continue to subscribe if they took it away (and dropped the price back to the original $80/year).

taomaster99

Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:43 am

I use if for TV and Movies, lots of TV I missed out of back in the day so it's nice to catch up. As far as movies we usually just watch it for the kids movies.

JcSparky

Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:15 am

We watch equally on Netflix and Amazon Prime. The one feature I wish Netflix had that Amazon has is the "Customers Who Watched This Item Also Watched" feature. After watching a movie that I found to my liking, I often find myself looking at this list and finding several other movies that I like.

Fake Ghost Pirate

Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:30 am

Wow. Netflix is the main channel that I watch, Fox News is a close second followed by Amazon. I haven't needed cable for maybe 5 years now. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Kimmie Schmidt, and House of Cards are all great shows (I think they're all Netflix originals). So is American Horror Story (which isn't a Netflix original)

As far as movies go...I'm always so tired after work (and before work) I don't feel up to a 90 minute commitment to watch a whole movie so I usually go for TV shows instead.

JordanHarris

Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:16 pm

Amazon Prime TV shows are getting a lot better these days, but man I hate the experience. To be specific, it's like Amazon thinks you'll only watch an episode/season/show one time and never start it over again. Say you watch season 1 and later try to start at episode 1. Okay, you watch that and everything's good. Then you come back later and press play on the show, expecting it to play episode 2. Nope, it plays the next unwatched episode (next season in this case). Netflix handles this perfectly and it drives me nuts when using Amazon. Both my parents and I use the same account, so if they already watched something, I can never have a good experience and I'll have to remember which episode I'm on. Not good.

I personally use Netflix and Plex the most. Netflix has a lot of shows that I like and I always seem to have something to watch. They made a good move by adding Showtime's Shameless and Penny Dreadful recently. If you haven't seen Shameless, do yourself a favor and watch it. It's the only comedy that I'll watch (I'm not a comedy fan).

I have to agree: networks like HBO, Showtime, FX, AMC have a different kind of quality. They're usually a bit "darker" and have more interesting, well thought out, stories. Some Netflix originals are like that too. Netflix originals are like a mix of several different networks, fitting more people's tastes. I'd compare their most popular shows with HBO and Showtime.

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:51 am

Netflix's Marvel originals guarantee I will not be cancelling my subscription any time soon ...
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

reddice

Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:04 am

I thought it was me. I have been a subscriber since 2010 and I use to watch Netflix at least 6 hours a day. Now this past month and even longer I been watching it less and less. I now watch it only about 1 to 2 hours a week even less. The reason is all the good stuff I either finished or it expired. Also by the time I look for a movie to watch after 20 minutes I give up and go to another streaming service to find a movie. As I complained a lot I don't care about most original programing and never watch the adult original programing so I am not pleased for example Seinfeld which Hulu paid a lot about $180 million for the streaming rights. Yet Netflix wasted over $90 on a dumb Adam Sander movie is proof they don't care about quality no more. Then our rates going up for grandfathered users and the ever shrinking catalog of quality licensed programs over quantity lame original movies is making me and others I know question to keep there subscription.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:39 am

I'm using Netflix less for movies, but more for original programming.. Some of my movie and TV time as been replaced by Hulu, but not much.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10