Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

playbar-sad

Re: Feature Requests - Third Quarter 2016

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:15 am

DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4

This is my request. I clicked on a link in a 9 month old thread to add my voice to that but I guess it is locked. So here I am. We still need this. I bought (at some effort since I'm in the UK) a Roku 4 I wanted to replace my Apple TV (3rd gen I think) so I could have one device play Netlfix and Amazon Video to my TV and my SONOS PLAYBAR. Now you read those last two words and you know my problem. I just paid lots of money to have a sleek 5.1 playback system and the top rate it supports is 5.1 Dolby Digital.

However, I thought my problems were solved since the new Roku 4 includes Dolby Digital output on optical. Impossible to predict was that Netflix and Amazon apps for this platform do not send the selected audio bitstream (on THIS ROKU 4 Platform that is), they only send DD+ and the Roku 4 will not currently extract standard DD 5.1 from that, though this is possible. So Roku should either do software extraction and outputting of DD from these new apps, OR they should allow me to choose a version of the app that will stream me DD 5.1 (not DD+)... so, essentially the older version of the Roku apps or a modified version of the Roku 4 apps.

Roku -- did you decide if you are doing this 'feature request' yet, or are you going to be getting another Roku 4 returned to you? (or more likely, I'll just sell it for a profit in the UK!).

playbar-sad

Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:22 am

P4bloG wrote:
I recently purchased the latest roku stick model and noticed the following:

- So far the only app that has dolby digital capability is HBO GO. My receiver doesn't detect dolby digital 5.1 from Netflix and Amazon.

- Captions settings shouldn't pause the video and sometimes even takes you back to the menu in some apps.

You may be suffering from the DD+ problem from Neflix and Amazon -- if your receiver supports Dolby Digital but not Dolby Digital PLUS you won't get real 5.1 from Netflix or Amazon apps on the Roku 4. If so, you can be one more person with this problem to maybe tip the scales in our favour!

jasonpaulso

Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:29 pm

I've recently purchased the TCL 50UP130 Roku TV - and I love it! There is only one thing that I miss from the Sony Bravia that this unit has replaced... which is CEC-HDMI power on. With the Sony TV I could turn on whichever connected HDMI device I'd like to use and the connected device would power-on and switch the TVs input, instead of my having to use the TV remote first. Otherwise I don't know what more I'd suggest. :-)

seanpaune

Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:33 am

- Forget Wi-Fi network. I stay at the same hotel a lot, and my Roku keeps recognizing the network, but it won't let me change my login info which changes with every visit (the room number/guest last name type). So I have had to go back to using a travel router at that hotel.

- Channel arrangement sync. I have a Roku attached to every TV in my house, I would love to arrange the channels the way I want them on one and then have that sync to all my other Rokus.

NotThatLuke

Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:09 am

For the TCL Roku Smart TV's I would like to see an option to disable the "sleep mode" and/or options to control the USB port power settings.

The way things are now, the TV enters "sleep mode" when you turn the TV off for ~20 minutes. Not only does the device not turn off immediately, but the USB port remains powered until the TV is turned off. This means that if you have bias lighting or something else in the USB slot, it will remain powered ~20 minutes after you turn the TV "off" so you need to unplug it.

The lack of option to control the USB power setting means you also cannot use the USB port to charge or power devices while the TV is off. It would be great to have control over this basic feature.

mery_alpes

Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:46 am

Support HDR , Roku 4

nickthrolson

Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:16 pm

a nice new interface update would be nice more features and easy to use navigate.

TonyJr

Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:34 am

• The ability to choose to scan/connect to  2.4GHz, 5GHz or both WiFi bands. There is no way to currently 'force' to use one band over the other.
  • Enable connection to all 5GHz channels - Band A and B. Not band C as this is Outdoor only.
  • List which 5GHz channels Roku can currently connect to.

LDBetaGuy

Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:16 am

A nice new FANLESS Roku 4 with HDR support.

Bababooey86

Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:30 am

So what's up with adding regular Dolby 5.1 functionality? Any word on it happening?

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:15 pm

With confirmation that devices casting to a Roku don't actually need to be on the same LAN to connect and cast to a Roku, I'd like to see the following options for casting:

[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]- No casting allowed
[/font]
- Casting only allowed by devices on the same LAN
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Ad-hoc/open casting[/font]
[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]- Maybe a whitelist of allowed devices[/font]

[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]I like that my friends and family can cast to my Roku to share a video without having to be on my home network, but I don't like that it's totally open all the time to all my neighbors.[/font]
Last edited by mikebdoss on Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

mc510

Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:38 pm

Honestly, I don't need new features on my Roku. I'd prefer that Roku invest more time in helping app developers to write better apps .... more stability, greater consistency across apps, more intuitive design.

Okay, actually I do have a feature request for Roku.  Create a Favorite Shows screen and let me add shows from any (compliant) app to the Favorites.

EnTerr

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 pm

Proposal on fixing Roku's Screen Mirroring security hole

@mikebdoss suggestion above is in relation to this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=76609, where it was revealed the Roku's screen mirroring is grossly insecure and can be easily abused/pranked by neighbors/passers-by, no hacking required. I am throwing in a proposal which is simpler to implement, simpler to understand, simpler to use yet hard to "un-secure":

EnTerr wrote:
I think i understand - the simplicity of use is the hallmark of Roku players. But there is a simple and elegant solution that Roku can do -
Simply present "Screen Mirroring" as a channel on the Home screen -
just like HDMI1/2/3 and OTA TV inputs are presented on RokuTV! And when somebody starts that channel, only then become receptive to miracasts - and for a limited amount of time. 

There are additional benefits from that, besides security:
  1. "Explicit is better than implicit" - the mere presence of the channel icon will educate the new users they may be able to cast video from their devices - something that many have no idea about in the first place (not, they will not read the leaflet or box end to end).
  2. Starting the channel gets opportunity to educate (instructions / video) and troubleshoot/wizard on how to cast from another device.
  3. Want to disable mirroring altogether? Just delete the channel! Simple and obvious. (Yes, of course you can re-install it later from Channel Store :) May need the account PIN though, thus locked down)
  4. This does not necessarily require use of the physical remote - the "channel" can be launched with a remote app (subject to ECP qualification, i.e. device has to be connected to the LAN, drive-by casts can't happen)
  5. No more "deus ex machina", no supernatural closing of the current show i am watching. This relates to #1 but from different point of view. If currently someone (next-door prankster, child, even me by mistake) activates mirror-casting, the screen gets hijacked and when casting is stopped... the previous show is gone^. Treating mirroring as a "just another input", equal to the others would make the process more wholesome.

See the full post for more background.

EnTerr

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Rename the badly named "Streaming Channels", by which the Channel Store is referred to on Roku players' Home screen. 
Instead, use "More Channels" or simply "Channels".

See this thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96221 for explanation what's wrong, discussion and ideas on fixing.

nlebaron

Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:00 am

This is for TCL Roku TV's.  I am not sure if this is the right place or not.  I also posted this request in another thread before I noticed this one.

I would like to see a feature that allows the user to select a default input for when the TV is powered on.  We recently purchased two of these tv's.  One is a 55" for the living room.  the other is a 32" for the kitchen.  I noticed really fast that it will be annoying using this tv with direct tv.  Especially in the kitchen.  With a desire to have only one remote used... it would be really nice if the tv defaulted to a certain input, HDMI1 in my case, rather than the Roku menu.  I still want all of the roku features, but I don't want to touch the roku remote when I just want to use satellite tv.  It would be nice if I could have a choice to set the default input to whatever I wanted, whether it is the home screen, or an hdmi or av input.  The roku home screen would still just be home button press away.