Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

The Forum Improvement Thread (was "forum downtime")

Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:41 pm

The web team has scheduled the forum downtime for July 27th @ 10pm CDT (8pm PDT, 11pm EDT). They're expecting no more than a 2 hour downtime.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

EnTerr
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Forum Downtime - July 27th @ 10pm CDT

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:13 am

Appendages crossed we can still read this forum tomorrow!
SG noodle

DaBronx

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:01 am

EnTerr wrote:
Appendages crossed we can still read this forum tomorrow!
SG noodle

We definitely don't want to see a repeat of the forums "Great Update" of 2012 fiasco. But I'm confident that web team members RokuBeavis and RokuButthead will get it right this time.

See everyone on the other side.

--brett
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

EnTerr

Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:53 pm

DaBronx wrote:
We definitely don't want to see a repeat of the forums "Great Update" of 2012 fiasco. But I'm confident that web team members RokuBeavis and RokuButthead will get it right this time.

Are these the same ones i refer to as the "All Thumbs" team by well  deserved  reputation?

If so, God bless us, every one!

EnTerr

Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:20 pm

It's back!

Good gravy - i dislike the "new look". But i realize may need some time to adapt.

Looks like a obscene amount of content-free white-space. Is there a way for users to adjust looks, e.g. decrease the whiteness?
Or opt for the old look and feel (i doubt that but thought i'll ask).

bvd1022

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:42 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
The web team has scheduled the forum downtime for July 27th @ 10pm CDT (8pm PDT, 11pm EDT).  They're expecting no more than a 2 hour downtime.

C. Shawn Smith

Enjoying the new UI, but it will take a bit of time to get used to. Thanks for the heads up.  

renojim

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:49 pm

Absolutely HATE all the whiteness!!!

Heyitsrick

Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:27 am

I always have to chuckle when people get upset over a website UI update.  It looks good, it has a much more standard editing interface, and it's finally a responsive website that adapts properly for mobile viewing.  Welcome to 2016, Roku Forum.

Verta

Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:30 am

It seems to be slower, noticeably slower to render the page.

I really miss the links to jump to the last page of a thread I have been reading. Now I have to go to the first page (which is slow, see above) and then jump to the last post. And that also means that I have to use the navigation link to go to the list of topics, as Back will go back to the first page, so I would have to use Back twice, which is now slower, see above.

There really is a lot of scrolling now. I don't enjoy that, the font is still small, readable but small but now I have to scroll and scroll and scroll to read the material.

I'm sure no one will miss me when I find it too tedious to use this forum. Right, no one likes change, but I do find the look at the top areas very clean and consistent with the other places on Roku World. Just the body is too sparse now.

atc98092

Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:18 am

Verta wrote:
I really miss the links to jump to the last page of a thread I have been reading. Now I have to go to the first page (which is slow, see above) and then jump to the last post. 

I think it's still there, but kind of hidden. Click the date/time under the name of the last poster and it takes you to what appears to be the last unread post. I say appear because your comment was the only one I had not already read. I'd have to look at a post that has multiple posts since I last read the messages to make sure it takes me to the last unread, not just the last post made.

EDIT: I tried it on another post that I had not ever read, and it took me to the last post, not the last read. Someone at Roku needs to explain to us where we can click to view last unread, and if that function is gone that's a severe mistake.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

davidjazz

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 am

On my 17" desktop screen the white space is blinding. I actually have to look away after a minute.

mikebdoss

Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:43 am

atc98092 wrote:
Verta wrote:
I really miss the links to jump to the last page of a thread I have been reading. Now I have to go to the first page (which is slow, see above) and then jump to the last post. 

I think it's still there, but kind of hidden. Click the date/time under the name of the last poster and it takes you to what appears to be the last unread post. I say appear because your comment was the only one I had not already read. I'd have to look at a post that has multiple posts since I last read the messages to make sure it takes me to the last unread, not just the last post made.

EDIT: I tried it on another post that I had not ever read, and it took me to the last post, not the last read. Someone at Roku needs to explain to us where we can click to view last unread, and if that function is gone that's a severe mistake.

You can click the icon to the left of the topic name (either the pushpin, the block box with three lines, or the flame), and it'll take you to the first unread message.

bvd1022

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:33 am

Heyitsrick wrote:
I always have to chuckle when people get upset over a website UI update.  It looks good, it has a much more standard editing interface, and it's finally a responsive website that adapts properly for mobile viewing.  Welcome to 2016, Roku Forum.

I don’t have an issue with it, but as I said it will take some getting used to. Really no different than when you get a new TV or new cable/satellite equipment, you have to get a feel for it, but after a week or two it’s second nature. The update does seem more organized than the previous UI. I particularly like the notifications feature.

EnTerr

Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:39 am

Before the icon on the side would have a star "*" if i participated, now there is no way to tell anymore. Why i care (perhaps a fringe case): i unsubscribe from some topics i care less about to avoid email notification every so often - but may still check on it say in a day or two when having time on my hands.

The white is blinding. It would have been useful for mobile phones... before they had the "flashlight" app!
The refresh is somewhere in between "1 step forward, 2 steps back" or "2 steps forward, 1 step back", my jury still out.

atc98092

Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:10 am

mikebdoss wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
Verta wrote:

You can click the icon to the left of the topic name (either the pushpin, the block box with three lines, or the flame), and it'll take you to the first unread message.

Went back to listings to look for it. Yep, you're right. Can't figure out how I overlooked that, because I'm usually good with hovering the mouse over different things to look for a text hint. Missed that one. Thanks!
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.