Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jontalk
Topic Author

PBS Channel update - exiting issue

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:00 am

I have a Roku 3 running the latest firmware (7.2). About a month or more ago, the PBS channel updated and while it streams OK, there's no way to exit the channel other than pressing the home key, which isn't the way it normally is done. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.

DarkJedi

Re: PBS Channel update - exiting issue

Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:17 am

Yes, I have noticed but I have nothing more to offer.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:33 pm

jontalk wrote:
I have a Roku 3 running the latest firmware (7.2). About a month or more ago, the PBS channel updated and while it streams OK, there's no way to exit the channel other than pressing the home key, which isn't the way it normally is done. Has anyone else noticed this? Thanks

The HOME button is how I normally exit all channels. Which explains why I never noticed this thing you describe.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

jontalk
Topic Author

Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Glad to hear I'm not alone here.. FYI, using the return/back button is how a channel is normally set up for exiting, not the Home button since it returns you to the options list rather than the page you were just navigating. 
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.

Williamt100

Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:25 am

I also have run in to this.  I also notice a bit of odd behavior when displaying my favorites -- they appear and disappear as I move through the selections.
Roku 3500X
Roku 4400X
Roku 4661X

jontalk
Topic Author

Sat Jul 30, 2016 5:28 pm

It's also jerky when scrolling from one selection to another. I've gone to their site and sent feedback so we'll see if they release an update. It's the only channel of the 25 or so I visit regularly that doesn't exit properly. At least the programs stream as they should, LOL
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan

bru20

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:00 pm

Maybe its related to the exiting issue but I find many times after watching a show on the PBS Channel that it shows up in Continue Watching (or whatever its exactly called) the next time I open the channel.  I've made sure I watch the show all the way through to the bitter end but it still may show up there.  Or maybe not.  Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason as to why.  Sometimes it will remove itself from the list but I have yet to figure out a way to do it myself other than resetting the channel.  

fredleonard

Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:19 am

Also, sometimes when I've watched part of a show and come back, there is a resume button.  Sometimes not (a pain to try to fast forward to find where I left off).  Again, seems sort of random. 

I wish Roku would enforce more quality control on their apps.  I know there are a lot of apps but most of them are junk.  The ones Roku lists should be checked out, the way Apple does in their app store. 

mc510

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:48 pm

I've got an "exiting issue" too, but it's different and, I think, more problematic. Often when I finish watching a video in the PBS app, it automagically exits the app all by itself and goes back to the Roku home screen. On other occasions, it just halts in the middle of a video and the whole darned Roku reboots.

And the app has all sorts of other problems too. The vast majority of shows have only previews or clips but no episodes (and I'm talking about past shows, not "coming soon" shows). And the "PBS Digital Studios" (i.e., online/streaming only content, like the crazily interesting and impossibly confusing SpaceTime) content that lags nearly a year behind what's released on their YouTube channel.  And the new and totally random "related shows" that really couldn't possibly be less related. And the list of "coming soon" shows that are actually more than a year old. And the overall unholy welter of disorganization of the content.

It's such a lousy app overall that it makes me wonder if PBS is actively trying to keep a lid on online/streaming viewership.
Last edited by mc510 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rwhewitt

Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:34 pm

PBS Channel also has occasional stuttering/pixilated  video and sometimes a small 5-10 second portion of the video repeats itself.  I finally deleted the channel and now cast it using my ipad.  Problem solved.  BTW I have a Roku 2 XS

Bacon

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 pm

I've had the back button randomly stop working in a number of channels.

renojim
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Bacon wrote:
I've had the back button randomly stop working in a number of channels.

I thought it was just me. I thought about opening a new thread about it, but there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it happens.

-JT