Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Re: Man this forum update blows!

Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:35 pm

I would have liked to have edited my original post, but that proved to be impossible.  No matter what I clicked on, I was no longer logged in.  Tried clearing cookies - no help.  I'm typing this now wondering if I'm doing it for nothing.  The issue with my preferences not sticking is clearly because I'm continuously booted out.  Like I said before, I've gone years without having to login, so while I can't say for certain that it's not something on my end, it would sure be an incredible coincidence that the problem started at the same time as this update.

Don't even bother trying to tell me that the blinding whiteness is somehow a good idea.  If you like it, fine, but it gives me a headache.  No amount of "getting used to it" will ever change that.

-JT

DubTaylor

Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:09 pm

I ran a quick google on the issue:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=c ... ogged%20in

Found a few references, this being noteworthy:
https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtop ... &t=1291005

That being settings in the board that Jim has no access to, but I would be interested if Jim has tried other browsers.

Crystal4918

Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:17 pm

This is strange however, I have no problem with log in on my kindle.  When I try logging in or commenting on any of my IPad, I have to sign in to look at anything.  Cookies are set the same, only for this website.
Roku 1 & Roku 2
Amazon Fire TV
Chromecast
Mohu Channels Box
Mohu Antennas
Roku 2. 4210

renojim
Topic Author

Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:50 pm

My login issue disappeared as mysteriously as it appeared, but I fear it's still an issue for others:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 48#p536648

After my initial clearing of cookies did nothing, I didn't change anything (no reboot, no more clearing, and didn't even restart Firefox) and now things seem to be working.

Now, am I missing the link to what I believe used to be called the Control Panel?  The only way I've found to get to preferences/profile it is via checking PMs and using the tabs there.

-JT

EnTerr

Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:16 pm

renojim wrote:
Now, am I missing the link to what I believe used to be called the Control Panel?  The only way I've found to get to preferences/profile it is via checking PMs and using the tabs there.

renojim
Topic Author

Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:23 pm

Oops, I think in my attempt to make this forum readable I somehow managed to block that little image. Probably when I blocked that stupid generic Avatar image.

-JT

dgrace

Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:06 am

On my Kindle Fire it takes a few tries to log out, sometimes telling me that the information sent doesn't match whats on record.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:07 pm

dgrace wrote:
On my Kindle Fire it takes a few tries to log out, sometimes telling me that the information sent doesn't match whats on record.

Known issue (affects all browsers, but not all users ... and I'm one that is affected by it :( )..

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

RokuChrisT

Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:26 am

Try to see it from the point of view that the benefits help more developers get answers. The Roku developer community is growing fast and we are updating our systems to support this scale.

Here's a collection of what we've tackled with this update:
  • The previous forum software was last updated years ago - for all your account safety we need to continuously upgrade the forum software (phpBB)
  • The forums were on old hardware - we've migrated to AWS to improve uptime and speed
  • You might have to re-login since the form fields and flow was updated
  • Mobile: It's not acceptable to cause most developers searching for answers on mobile to be stuck with a large Desktop view. That's UX 101
  • Color/Design: I get that there's a difference in opinion and comments on readability. There's no way making everyone happy, the vast majority appreciate modern responsive web design that renders well on Retina and non-retina screens
  • Multi language support: We're growing internationally at a fast rate - we need forum software/themes that can support this growth
  • Syntax highlight: Code blocks in posts automatically get syntax-highlighted.
  • Clickable rows: Check rows without clicking exactly on the checkbox (Very helpful for mobile devices)
  • Quick login: Users can login from a dropdown box in the navbar and are redirect back to the page they were viewing

- Chris

belltown

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:15 pm

RokuChrisT wrote:
Mobile: It's not acceptable to cause most developers searching for answers on mobile to be stuck with a large Desktop view. That's UX 101

The new Roku forum is not mobile friendly, unless you have a large mobile device Specifically, zooming is disabled by the forum's html:

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1, maximum-scale=1, user-scalable=no" />

user-scalable=no prevents the user from using the browser's zoom, something you'd only want to do (if ever) on a site that has its own zoom capabilities, which the Roku forum site does not. Removing user-scalable=no should have no impact on anyone's viewing experience if they choose not to zoom, and go with the default page size.

There's no conceivable reason I can think of to prevent a user from using the browser's zooming features if they want the text to appear larger than its default. That's UX 001.
https://github.com/belltown/

belltown

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:25 pm

RokuChrisT wrote:
Syntax highlight: Code blocks in posts automatically get syntax-highlighted.

Except for BrightScript code, which I expect to be the predominant language posted in these forums.

If the code includes an apostrophe comment, then everything that follows, not just up to the end of the commented line, will be highlighted in
green, up until the start of the next subsequent apostrophe comment. For example, in this post, https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=96021&sid=15ab37cddc61cf3a70fded3b1310e807#p536675, the entire code snippet is highlighted in green, not just the comments.

belltown

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:39 pm

RokuChrisT wrote:
Color/Design: I get that there's a difference in opinion and comments on readability. There's no way making everyone happy, the vast majority appreciate modern responsive web design that renders well on Retina and non-retina screens

Color? You mean black, blacker, and blackest?

'Color/Design' <===> 'modern responsive web design that renders well'. I didn't realize the two concepts were mutually exclusive.

'There's no way making everyone happy, the vast majority appreciate modern responsive web design that renders well on Retina and non-retina screens'. I don't remember taking part in that poll, and from my reading of this thread, https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95954, the majority of posters did not seem to appreciate the new design.

mikebdoss

Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 pm

belltown wrote:
['There's no way making everyone happy, the vast majority appreciate modern responsive web design that renders well on Retina and non-retina screens'. I don't remember taking part in that poll, and from my reading of this thread, https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95954, the majority of posters did not seem to appreciate the new design.

There are always more people in a forum that complain instead of compliment. I like the new design and don't understand the "OMG I'M BLIND" comments.

EnTerr

Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:11 pm

belltown wrote:
'There's no way making everyone happy, the vast majority appreciate modern responsive web design that renders well on Retina and non-retina screens'.
I don't remember taking part in that poll, and from my reading of this thread, https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=95954, the majority of posters did not seem to appreciate the new design.
Correct - the majority of people are having problems with the new L&F.
I just did an honest head count in the threads it was discussed and the ratio hate:love is 2:1,
i.e. for every 8 that are "for" the new look, there are 16 that are "against".

mikebdoss wrote:
I like the new design
And as one of the minority, @mikebdoss - you are welcome for sharing your like! It started feeling like conspiracy seeing only voices "against" here :)

mikebdoss wrote:
and don't understand the "OMG I'M BLIND" comments.
You are repeating yourself - but let me ask you - how is your eyesight?
Mine is not 20/20. I have a rare eye condition that's been corrected the best way modern optometry/ophthalmology can (baring corneal transplant - but even with that it wouldn't be 20/20). So maybe i see things differently than you do, maybe i need a little more readability than you do.
Are you the gold standard we should align by?

dgrace

Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:03 pm

One item I don't seem to see anymore, at least on my tablet, is posting count. If I browse and see a 0 or 1 for replies I'm more likely to read and see if I can be helpful, unlike if I see multiple pages of replies. This seems to be gone.
"I might be moving to Montana soon..."
FZ