Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

renojim
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Man this forum update blows!

Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:13 pm

Where to start?  Horrible color choices aside, there's so much more to hate.  After not having to login in years, I seem to have to login every 10 seconds.  Want to look at PMs?  Have to login.  Try to get to the Control Panel?  Have to login.  Go to a different area?  Have to login.  Post a new topic?  Have to login.  To make it worse, most of my login attempts fail.

On top of the multitude of login requests, my preferences don't seem to stick.  Enemy posts are showing up.  Avatars are showing up even though they're turned off.  I'm sure there's plenty more that's not working, but I've about had it.

-JT

fredneck

Re: Man this forum update blows!

Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:55 pm

I logged in several days ago and did not need to log in again. Just a thought could it be you may have your cookies set to restrictive in your web browser?
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels

DubTaylor

Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:38 pm

It is unattractive as H3ll, but I never had to log in at all.. I showed up, was logged in and was horrified that my Avatar was all stretched out of shape so I made a new one.

I keep wondering where the post voting options are... with a forum update this painful there should be more on the plus side than it works on my phone.

juan2watch

Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:25 pm

I can finally use it without zooming on my phone!

reddice

Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:21 am

I like the new design just wish there was a dark theme.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

jeffrok

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:04 am

I guess I'm one of the few that like it.. Not having login problems either.. I think your browser is not properly handling cookies, Reno Jim.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

BobRoberts

Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:48 am

It's different. Seems most websites I visit including my work website have all "updated" within the past few weeks. Is it Update Website Month?Who knew??

overtimeman

Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:11 am

Gosh it had been the same since I joined in 2010 and was surprised when I came to the site.Give it a while and it will grow on you.I use a Chromebox with HDMI to a Vizio 55 inch and have on problems with the new interface.Yep on my I Phone 5s it is more readable.
I used to have a life before Roku!

EnTerr

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:07 pm

overtimeman wrote:
... Give it a while and it will grow on you...

It's not "growing on me". Besides, things that grow on you are not necessarily good: Think fungus on skin (athlete's foot, jock's itch). 
Yes - given enough time, "this too shall pass". Everything shall pass and moss will grow on Roku's grave too, if we zoom enough in time. But at present time, the ergonomics of the forum had suffered a major blow.

EnTerr

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:12 pm

renojim wrote:
Where to start?  Horrible color choices aside, there's so much more to hate.  After not having to login in years, I seem to have to login every 10 seconds.  Want to look at PMs?  Have to login.  Try to get to the Control Panel?  Have to login.  Go to a different area?  Have to login.  Post a new topic?  Have to login.  To make it worse, most of my login attempts fail.

On top of the multitude of login requests, my preferences don't seem to stick.  Enemy posts are showing up.  Avatars are showing up even though they're turned off.  I'm sure there's plenty more that's not working, but I've about had it.

Can you try troubleshooting that?
E.g. when do you get logged off - is it when you follow up a link from email notification?
Does it happen if you manually delete all cookies to *.roku.com? Which browsers and OS? How does it (mis)behave in incognito window? What if you disable all extensions, does it work in vanilla browser?
You'd know i am not apologist - and i have no doubt what you describe is happening - but let's track to the "why" of it, then can tackle it.

DubTaylor

Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:14 pm

overtimeman wrote:
Give it a while and it will grow on you.

Yea, that's what Plex thought would happen when they introduced 'turd in punchbowl' version 1.0 of their new apps... uhhhh.... fail.

rjdriver

Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:48 pm

My only complaints are too much white. not enough contrast between text and background, and too much empty space.

Php bulliten boards have lots of options usually available in the user control panel.  If Roku would allow us the option of changing background and font color, I can live with all the empty space.
LG 42" 1080, Sony S550 Blu Ray, Pioneer VSX 512S, Harmony One, Roku 3-wired, Fire TV Stick, FlircUSB, 30Mb, Antenna. Coventry RI, USA

DubTaylor

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:07 pm

rjdriver wrote:
My only complaints are too much white. not enough contrast between text and background, and too much empty space.

Php bulliten boards have lots of options usually available in the user control panel.  If Roku would allow us the option of changing background and font color, I can live with all the empty space.

That would, of course, serve two functions; 1) provide the default Roku Color Theme (if that's what someone thinks this is) and 2) give the user the option to select a theme more pleasing to them.
It does seem to be a trend with developers in general these days to take a 'here's what we did, deal with it' approach to user interfaces while the user stubbornly hangs on to the idea that options are a good thing.

empirefalls

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:44 pm

Did the satetille/cable companies take over the forum???
'cause it should blanked alot of people off

i tried loggin in 10-25 times, kept getting booted out--or sometime.

DRUDGE REPORT

do you know why that website is one of the most popular websites on EARTH?  in the history of the internet.
its simple.  black and white mostlt. no bells and whistles. not million options to do this and that on the page.

Probably my last post.

simple,clean, interface. and people love websoites like that

Dick Drivel

Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:52 pm

Typical disimprovement of a well functioning interface, shades of Windows Vista - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
I find the letters to be too narrow and hard to read on such a pale background.