Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

empirefalls
Topic Author

NETFLIX PRICE HIKE FOR EVERYONE..even longtime customers

Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:49 am

BGR . COM
Aug 17, 2016 at 2:23 PM
"“When we raised prices for new Netflix members last year, we kept your price the same for one year,” Netflix’s email begins – and I’m sure many current and former Netflix subscribers have seen similar notifications in their inboxes recently. Then the company informed me that my “special pricing is now ending,” and come next billing cycle, I’ll be charged more"

https://bgr.com/2016/08/17/netflix-subs ... rice-hike/
Last edited by empirefalls on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: NETFLIX PRICE HIKE FOR EVERYONE..even longtime customers

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:10 am

That price hike went into effect the first service month after 22 July 2016. It's already hit most people who had the older $7.99/month rate. The writer of that article simply didn't post (or editors didn't post) until after the fact. There is no new price hike on the horizon.
Last edited by Basil on Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

empirefalls
Topic Author

Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:19 am

re
i edited out the title to reflect that.  ie its already here
nevertheless i bet there's 'many' customers that are un aware of it..    putting aside i already canceled Netflix last month [because i was seldom watching the channel] i was unaware a prike hike was coming.

trekkeriii

Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:53 am

Netflix sent an email to everyone about it. I got it last month. Maybe those who cancelled didn't get the email
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mikebdoss

Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:58 am

I'm pretty sure everyone with an account got the email. It's not like they're keeping it a secret - it's literally been on the horizon for years.

andyross

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:25 pm

This price increase was known over a year ago. They increased prices for new customers, and stated that current customers would see the increase after a year.

Skip one coffee a month, and you've more than paid for it.

jeffrok

Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:29 pm

Agreed. It's a very small uppage, considering all the originals they have on Netflix now.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

empirefalls
Topic Author

Fri Aug 19, 2016 4:06 pm

After 5-7 years? I canceled Netflix 3 weeks ago [wrote a post about here}. I was not even aware there was a price hike coming. i was just not finding anything i really wanted to watch, ie not using it. The email address i had with Netflix is a seldom used email address.   i checked it about every 3-4 months  So that is why i unaware of the hike.  Its going to be a long time before i go back.

23rdDjin

Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:39 pm

hopefully they will find a way to soldier on...

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

mikeyts

Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:11 pm

I probably shouldn't mention it but:

I was grandfathered into 2 screens for $7.99 when the price went up for that, then grandfathered into UHD on my 2 screen plan when I bought a UHD TV and accessed the Netflix UHD library with its app prior to their requirement that you have a 4 screen plan to access UHD (went into effect on 10/15/14, I think).

I was a customer for years before they added streaming video, so I suppose that I qualify as "longtime".  On my account page it doesn't give an expiration date, saying only "You are on a special price for your plan".  I'll enjoy the price while it lasts :D.

atc98092

Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:48 pm

I also am grandfathered in, but for my family Netflix is a fantastic bargain. We dumped satellite about 5 years ago now, and don't miss any channel we had. We watch an occasional broadcast channel (I get around 45 primary and sub-channels), but over 90% of our watching is Netflix, Amazon and my DLNA streaming server. Since Amazon Prime pays for itself just with free shipping, the streaming is a free bonus for me. Paying Netflix less than $10 per month beats the heck out of my $150+ Dish Network bill, especially since I only watched about 8 of the 400+ channels that I had.

I just wish Netflix had more interesting UHD material. I have very little interest in their home-grown shows so far, and that's the majority of UHD they have. 
Last edited by atc98092 on Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

bvd1022

Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:53 am

I received an email from Netflix about two years ago informing me that my price would stay the same for two years before being bumped to the now current price and I also received an email last month informing me that they were going to bump the price by $2.  I don’t see it as a big issue due to the quality of the content that Netflix offers as well as the ongoing development of not only original series, but also films as they are taking aim at competing against movie theaters. As much as I enjoy going to a theater whenever I can afford to do so, (The last two times I went to a movie, each a year apart, between two tickets and concessions, Popcorn/Soda, it cost me close to $50), I much prefer the option of watching films on streaming services and the option to pre-order films digitally from digital stores before those films get physically released on disc. 

With Netflix developing their own films and thus having exclusivity, etc. it takes more of an emphasis away from wanting to go to a theater at least for me considering that the films are included with a Netflix subscription and I can go buy and/or make popcorn and watch it in peace and quiet.  Just one man’s opinion.

shadoecat

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:56 am

My price went up to 9.99 last month. But I didn't cancel. I use Netflix a lot. It's one of my main Roku channels.

reddice

Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:03 am

I am keeping Netflix for now but I am sure running out of stuff to watch and I have been watching it way less then I use to.  I have zero interest in all this popular original content.  Also there movie selection is still terrible.  After losing Epix it made it worse.  Took me 20 minutes to find a movie that ended up being a no name foreign dubbed European crappy movie.  Went on Hulu instead to watch something.  At least when the Disney movie contract comes soon and it can't come soon enough there will be better movies besides bargain bin crap they have now.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

bvd1022

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:09 am

reddice wrote:
I am keeping Netflix for now but I am sure running out of stuff to watch and I have been watching it way less then I use to.  I have zero interest in all this popular original content.  Also there movie selection is still terrible.  After losing Epix it made it worse.  Took me 20 minutes to find a movie that ended up being a no name foreign dubbed European crappy movie.  Went on Hulu instead to watch something.  At least when the Disney movie contract comes soon and it can't come soon enough there will be better movies besides bargain bin crap they have now.

I do know some people who feel that way as well, but one thing that I have found to be useful is going through the categories as it gives a full listing of what is available beyond what is featured in a particular genre, which I believe is only fifty films/programs.  By going through the categories in full, I have been able to stumble upon some really good documentaries and also a few films I was not aware of that are worth watching. I watched a movie with Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton last week called And So it Goes.

Given the caliber of cast, I would have expected this film to get a theater release, but it seems that this one was either given a limited release or was released strictly via home/digital media.  Regardless of how it was released, it has nothing whatsoever to do with the quality of the film as it was one of the better movies I have seen in a while and given that I buy a lot of digital movies and am subscribed to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, and Tribeca Shortlist, that covers a lot of ground.  A very good movie for those who haven’t seen it, I recommend it.

I think the slight increase will only help Netflix in the long-term not only with regard to developing original shows and films, but also with regard to the never ending battle for streaming rights among networks and OTT services.  One thing I would like to see them focus more on is their development of stand up comedy specials.  Back when I originally subscribed years back they had almost all of George Carlin’s HBO stand up shows with the lone exception of the 40 yrs in comedy special HBO did in the 90’s that was hosted by Jon Stewart.  Although those programs were made for and aired on HBO, HBO doesn’t own the footage and if you watch HBO’s comedy channel, they haven’t aired a classic block of Carlin material,  Rodney Dangerfield material, or Robert Kline material to name a few in a long time.  I think it would serve Netflix well to seek and acquire those rights to air that material as part of their Stand up comedy selections while also showing current comedians.  It’s something that HBO used to be a dominant force in, but they haven’t really done much in the way of comedy in a while.  I also subscribe to the comedy streaming service Seeso.  When I subscribed to Seeso, I was hoping that some of the classic Carlin stand up material as well as others would be available as it is a Comedy centric streaming service, but the only Carlin content they have is from the first episode of Saturday Night Live in 1975.  It’s just something that I see as an untapped source of content that Netflix could capitalize on. 

It would also be good in terms of introducing people like Carlin, Dangerfield, and others who are no longer with us to a new generation of viewers. Just one man’s opinion.