Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Elijah_Baley

Re: NETFLIX PRICE HIKE FOR EVERYONE..even longtime customers

Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:49 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:
As I said in an earlier post "I have plenty to watch" but I do like reasonably priced choices to be on the table.

I still consider $10-$12 a month for tens of thousands of movies, TV shows and originals to be pretty reasonably priced. Doubly so when compared to cable or satellite. 

Those "tens of thousands of movies, TV shows and originals" are kind of like the cable companies advertising 100's of channels or Roku saying they have 1000's of apps. It is not the numbers but rather it is the quality and Netflix has been reducing their overall quality for some time.
Netflix has allowed their "rights" contracts for many many quality movies to expire without making much attempt to add quality movies to replace them while the funnel the revenue into "original" content. I would bet if you graphed the average "star" rating for content carried on Netflix the graph would show a steady decrease over the last few years and, if you excluded the "original" content, the slope of the graph would be much steeper.
Netflix is evolving toward becoming an on-demand cable company with all the baggage and customer abuse that comes with that model. At least they still do not require contracts.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:54 pm

And yet, people would whine and complain more if Netflix charged any more than they do for more, "better" content. 

Personally, I think if you can't find something to watch on Netflix (or Prime, or Hulu), then you're either very picky or not searching well enough. Quality is subjective, and if people are expecting to get a Redbox "all new, all the best" experience from a site that gives you unlimited streaming for $10/month, then they're deluding themselves. The whole "Everything on Netflix is crap (but I'm going to complain anyway)" argument has always been strange to me. 

reddice

Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
That may be quite true but for many folks the original content is meaningless. The price increase is for everybody and, for me, if I were a subscriber I would feel screwed because I would be supporting content I have little or no interest in.

I agree.  I hate the fact that I am paying more for originals that I have no interest in.  Netflix like HBO and other premium services started out great but once they made original content they think that everyone likes it and that they don't notice the lack of movies and licensed TV shows.

mikebdoss wrote:
And yet, people would whine and complain more if Netflix charged any more than they do for more, "better" content. 

Personally, I think if you can't find something to watch on Netflix (or Prime, or Hulu), then you're either very picky or not searching well enough. Quality is subjective, and if people are expecting to get a Redbox "all new, all the best" experience from a site that gives you unlimited streaming for $10/month, then they're deluding themselves. The whole "Everything on Netflix is crap (but I'm going to complain anyway)" argument has always been strange to me. 

I can still find things to watch on Netflix but it is getting much harder then it was years ago.  TV shows that I like either expired however I did finish most of them.  I still find some TV shows but I hate the originals yes I said it I HATE THEM.  As for movies I don't even bother anymore.  Wasting over 20 minutes to find a movie I did not see that they still have just to play it and it is a no name foreign dubbed in English B-Movie I never heard of.  So for TV shows I am finding things to still find but it is not as easy but movies I am not even going to bother until some of the Disney movies come next month and if it is a movie I actually heard of not a direct to VHS crappy bargain bin B-movie.
Last edited by reddice on Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

atc98092

Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:06 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Elijah_Baley wrote:
As I said in an earlier post "I have plenty to watch" but I do like reasonably priced choices to be on the table.

I still consider $10-$12 a month for tens of thousands of movies, TV shows and originals to be pretty reasonably priced. Doubly so when compared to cable or satellite. 

Yep, my feeling as well. While my Netflix subscription is supporting shows that I will likely never use, there's still more than enough for me to find. I like that I don't pay each and every time I select something to watch. Their flat monthly fee fits my viewing habits to a tee, as does Amazon Prime. If I had more interest in TV episodes, Hulu might interest me, but I'm much more interested in movies. 

Of course, I say that after binge watching every NCIS episode on Netflix and Amazon, and have started watching Dr. Who all over again on Amazon :)
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mwdxer1

Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:03 pm

I wonder why many of the old TV series are only available on DVD rather than streaming? Anyone know?

DubTaylor

Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 am

mwdxer1 wrote:
I wonder why many of the old TV series are only available on DVD rather than streaming? Anyone know?

Niche group of viewers. Netflix would rather dedicate the resources to more popular items. I can understand that.
What irks me is Season 7-10 of Perry Mason is MIA from the DVD library. Not to mention Seasons 2,3,4 and 5 are incomplete. If they're not going to stream the works for bingeing, the least they could do is offer the complete series on DVD. I cancelled streaming and will pick it up again later if the mood strikes - or something changes that I like - but I'm now re-evaluating the value I'm getting from 3 DVDs at a time... when a lot of what I want is MIA.

Elijah_Baley

Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:10 am

DubTaylor wrote:
What irks me is Season 7-10 of Perry Mason is MIA from the DVD library. Not to mention Seasons 2,3,4 and 5 are incomplete.

As popular as Perry Mason was it amazes me how hard it was to even acquire/record the entire series legally. I decided I wanted it in 2006 and it was 2012 before my collection had all episodes, and the TV movies, in it. Parts I was able to purchase on DVD, parts on VHS and parts recorded from various stations both OTA and cable. Season 8 was particularly hard to get.
When I had access to various services I would watch, often late night, for marathons or regular scheduled "Perry Mason" showings trying to fill up gaps in my collection and record those I needed.
I think that many older series switch production companies and that impacts availability as no single entity owns the rights to the entire series therefore often companies cannot buy rights from a single source and companies, like Netflix and other streaming/DVD sources, do not put much effort into filling missing/skipped episodes of older TV shows probably because the demand is low.
The above applies to many older TV shows and as they get older (or less popular) their availability goes down.
Ex. I am only ably to get partials of series like:
Burke's Law
Longstreet
77 Sunset Strip
Hawaiian Eye
The Saint
and many others
While I do not expect companies to make efforts to stock older TV series just for me I would be nice if, when they do, they make some effort to be complete.
BTW: Does anyone know of reliable DVD/VHS online dealers/resellers that might have old TV series available. I think that I have most of the reliable ones bookmarked but searching now produces a HUGE number of hits that are scams or worse and it has become very hard to find new sources that are actually what they appear to be.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

reddice

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:17 am

My uncle is a classic TV nut trying to get all the seasons and episodes and it is hard.  I am too however after I finished many of the classic TV shows Netflix had but many I did not finish before expiring I started to watch more shows from this and last decade "no originals" even though the older shows were way better because they had minimum swearing with no sex and bloody violence.  Heck even the original Mission Impossible series "which Netflix removed" many times was tamer than Once Upon a Time a so called "family show" which it is not.  The only reason why I bearded it because that is all Netflix had left really and there new so called movies suck more then they use too back then too. 

They use to be the place for classic TV shows now they are for adult lame originals which I am not pleased about the rate increase.  I would not have cared if they added more classic TV shows if the rates went up but for them to go up to add content I hate or bare I have a right to complain.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

mwdxer1

Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:14 pm

The secret I found on getting as muck of the old material you can is to purchase it when it is released. If you wait, it may not be there. I have purchased a fair amount from Warner Archive. but the series can be expensive. I did purchase the whole series of Eight is Enough. One I have not as yet is the old series The FBI. I may break down and try to get it in time. Finding used copies in Goodwill or Thrift Shores has had some success. People will buy a series just to find they never liked it as much as they did when they were younger. I have a lot of old series. I have collected old TV shows since I bought my old Betamax in 1977. One OTA channels we do not have is Antenna TV, so the series I really liked they carried I bought most of the ones I did not have. But finding the complete old series can be a challenge. I do find some old series on the Roku too.

reddice

Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:16 am

My uncle once purchased Ozzy and Harriot from some site and the DVD's were copies shipped from China off some religious channel.  Many episodes were missing and some had preacher content in it.  He was able to get a refund by contacting his credit card company as the site no longer exists.  Bad enough you can't stream many of these shows but you can't even get them on disc which is worse.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:58 am

Often with these old shows, there's no clear "chain of command" as to current ownership of the material, or worse, two or more companies/families argue about it. Other times there are weird issues (like Miami Vice and Quantum Leap have had with pop music), or there's one holdout stakeholder who doesn't care about the money. 

That said, I'm sure there are plenty of times when a company just doesn't want to release old shows, for no good reason (or a stupid reason like "there's money to be made in DVDs!). I'm of the opinion that any streaming exposure (and royalties) are better than nothing. 

mwdxer1

Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:22 am

I don't remember exactly where, but there is a lot of Ozzie and Harriet on the Roku. I have found a lot of episodes on DVD in the bargain bins at stores for a buck or two. The later episodes are easier to find. The early ones back in the early 50s are more rare. I have some, but not many. I see METV will be carrying Our Miss Brooks & Mayberry RFD coming in September. Two that are rare to see. Get TV also carries several rare old shows.

makaiguy

Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:04 am

mwdxer1 wrote:
I don't remember exactly where, but there is a lot of Ozzie and Harriet on the Roku.

I just ran across a bunch of Ozzie and Harriets streaming back to back on Filmon last night. They also have a hodgepodge of episodes on demand.
Roku 3, 4200X, Ser 4124C7087583, wifi connected - Samsung UN55ES6100

reddice

Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:03 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
Often with these old shows, there's no clear "chain of command" as to current ownership of the material, or worse, two or more companies/families argue about it. Other times there are weird issues (like Miami Vice and Quantum Leap have had with pop music), or there's one holdout stakeholder who doesn't care about the money. 

I found that Netflix still has Quantum Leap just in HD and they are just missing one episode on season 2.  I been binging it just started it this week and I am in the middle of season 2 and now I know why I loved older classic TV shows again.  Too bad that is all that is left.  Miami Vice they took off before I finished it but the PQ when they had it was horrible worse than DVD in low SD with major lip sync and screen padding issues so I could not finish it.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

regnad kcin

Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:39 am

Can't say I'm a huge fan of older TV but I am enjoying THE ROCKFORD FILES on Netflicks. A simple pleasure is watching Jim drive that Firebird around LA and pass gas stations;
always fun to see the prices >59.9 per gallon< etc,. Remember this series was from the mid 70's -- after the first oil embargo (gas lines, odd & even days, outrageous prices we would kill for today....)