Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

gliese876
Topic Author

Roku 2 XS freezes then reboots randomly after using remote

Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:46 pm

Been having this problem for months now and have been reading here on and off hoping for a fix since I see others having the same issue and all I find are unresolved locked old threads. So after tonight it was enough is enough already and finally decided to post.  Prior to this it used to work flawlessly without issue.

The issue is no matter the channel if I am watching a movie and eventually use the remote, (OK, pause or use fast forward or rewind), it randomly freezes and then reboots.  So everyday of the course of using my Roku it is going to happen. Might not always be the first time I use the remote and maybe the second time but it guaranteed to happen.

Tried the following without any difference:

- Unplug and plug back in before using.
- Turned menu volume off.
- Use only default theme and disabled featured themes.
- Reset to factory default.

Software version: 7.20 build 4100-02
Roku 2 XS 3100X

thx

mc510

Re: Roku 2 XS freezes then reboots randomly after using remote

Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:41 pm

Do you never get these reboots when you haven't used the remote?  My 2 XS is totally messed up since 7.2, every single evening of viewing ends with a spontaneous reboot ... but for me it is about 50% rebooting when I use the remote, and 50% of the time rebooting in the middle of playback when I've done nothing. It's hugely frustrating given that things were working perfectly with 7.1.

gliese876
Topic Author

Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:24 pm

I have not seen any reboots in the middle of playback on it is own.  In this middle of playback for me is always because I touch the remote.  At the end of the program I always touch the remote and it always freezes-reboots. 

Elijah_Baley

Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:50 pm

Some Roku XS's are quite unstable. The one I used to have was unstable during local playback. The instability can come and goand it can even appear to be caused/cured by a firmware update but it is really a flaw somewhere in the device itself. Roku never acknowledged the flaw but a fair number of people had and are having problems with their XSs. To be fair an equally large number or probably even larger do not have problems.

To solve the issue you could use my solution. I sold mine to someone that only wanted it for Angry Birds (It was the Angry Birds edition) and by having the XS on their account it automatically put Angry Birds on every newer Roku on their account. It was a win for them and a HUGE win for me. My blood pressure dropped dramatically after divesting myself of that beast. My Roku 3s and my Roku 1 virtually never reboot.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

gliese876
Topic Author

Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:30 pm

For me though it ran for a year since I got it without ever having the problem, not even once.  It was only in the last 6 months and especially these last few months that it really became a pain.

I was thinking of buying more Roku's if it was not for this issue.  But if this is some management strategy to update perfectly working Roku's to buggy firmware to get people to buy new Roku's then that is pretty shitty and means I will never buy a new one ever again nor recommend Roku to anyone.  Then I suppose it is time to look at other options.

Elijah_Baley

Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:38 pm

gliese876 wrote:
For me though it ran for a year since I got it without ever having the problem, not even once.  It was only in the last 6 months and especially these last few months that it really became a pain.

I was thinking of buying more Roku's if it was not for this issue.  But if this is some management strategy to update perfectly working Roku's to buggy firmware to get people to buy new Roku's then that is pretty shitty and means I will never buy a new one ever again nor recommend Roku to anyone.  Then I suppose it is time to look at other options.

Do not let the XSs problems influence your buying decisions much. The XS has a hardware flaw that gets exposed in some cases in some user environments. But even it works quite well for most users. Also the Roku 4 was rushed out the door and it has given many people problems. But, if you stick with models that have been out for a while and read reviews on various sites you really cannot go too wrong with the Roku line in general.

I am currently using two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and they are dead solid perfect in their operation. I have many other streaming devices that I could use including a Fire TV, a Fire Stick, A Shield Pro, a Raspberry Pi (with Plex installed) and various Android devices and various computers and I use my Rokus 95% of the time for anything streaming. They are simply the easiest and most reliable streaming device I own by far.

As I said earlier I had an XS but that was the one bad experience I have had with Roku and even that was not too bad.

Just, right now, do not get another XS and do not get a Roku 4 and wait to see if the new models are up to snuff. If you need a new Roku right now get a Roku 3 or wait until the new Rokus get released and are out for a while and if nothing negative shows you can get one about a month or two after release.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Verta

Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:32 pm

gliese876 wrote:

I agree with you on this one. It is required in the TOS that you have to let them put any software they want on the box you just bought. Unless you're good with your firewall, this can mean instability. I am really sorry you XS is giving you fits. Do you have an SD card in it? If not have you one you could try? So far I haven't had this issue on the XS that got firmware 7. Will monitor and keep the shields up.

But I have quit recommending them to friends. I used to be an advocate, but the attitude is unacceptable. I'm usually a tech resource for friends and family and I can't help them if I can't put stable software on the device.

gliese876
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:10 pm

I notice some audio issues with the newer firmware for some channels.  I going to take a guess that when they updated the Linux kernel either the kernel or the audio driver has some new bug that is causing the reboots.  No doubt documented and patched if one the engineers would just take the time to review the list of bugs with the new kernel and audio drivers they are using and apply an update.

Anyone know what the Linux kernel version is with this firmware?

One wonders what is going on with the devs on this.  Is this the case 1: They think they are doing good by always updating to the latest and greatest when really they should just be using the most  stable kernel and applying patches or security updates where needed or 2: does Roku hire one dev to produce new firmware and since they considered it complete he or she is gone and everyone is screwed on support issues until they hire a new team to engineer a new firmware.  Either way this is bs.

gliese876
Topic Author

Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:42 pm

gliese876 wrote:
I have not seen any reboots in the middle of playback on it is own.  In this middle of playback for me is always because I touch the remote.  At the end of the program I always touch the remote and it always freezes-reboots. 

Well so much for that.  Tried OV Guide channel, started watching a movie and a minute in without touching the remote it rebooted. 

jdmac29

Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:34 am

Mine keeps rebooting when watching slingtv

gliese876
Topic Author

Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Any news on what situation is with Roku? 

It is shame, it was a great concept that served me well once.  Disappointing to have to find some other solution if there is no support or updates.

gliese876
Topic Author

Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:20 pm

4 times in a matter of two hours the flower thing reset while watching Youtube last night. The Roku has been incredibly frustrating.

Myomyers

Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:49 am

We have been having multiple issues with this on YouTube. We been getting "kicked out" regularly and when we attempt to go back in the show we were watching often does not appear in history. We are unable to rewind during a show. When we attempt it it freezes.
This has been MEGA frustrating. It is also not showing up as an airplay option on my iPad. Is it possible I should uninstall and reinstall?