Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

RMP 4.1.1521 update

Wed Sep 14, 2016 5:05 pm

Added repeat and shuffle for video playback.
When in the video springboard/detail screen, press "*" button and a dialog similar to the one in the audioscreen will pop up. If your remote doesn't have the InstantReplay button, you can now get video auto play, and/or shuffle play.

New progress dialog when processing dlna folder. It now indicates number of items processed whether they are being used or not. If the number of items to be used differs from the total number of items, it now says how many are currently being used.

RMP will skip dlna entries that it can't decypher and go on to the next item in the dlna folder retrieval. This should allow rmp to process the entire directory albeit skipping some entries it has trouble parsing. Doubled the speed of processing dlna folders on roku-3 and roku-4 boxes.

rokudale

mc510

Re: RMP 4.1.1521 update

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:43 am

I'd really like to use DLNA streaming from my Windows 10 computer, but it's really clunky and scrambled and I don't know if that's from Roku Media Player or from the Windows DLNA server.

Roku Media Player first gives me a choice of "Music" "Video" "Pictures" ... and then invites me to select the DLNA server ... and then gives me an ungodly mess of folders that includes music, video, and pictures (notwithstanding that I've already selected only one of those) and other folders that seem to be created from media tags. 

That third step is the fail. I'm guessing that Windows is sending all of those irrelevant folders, and RMP doesn't have an obvious way to hide the ones that don't match the selected media type?

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:49 am

You can avoid the first screen by pressing * on the Help icon where the volume selection screen is. It will bring up a menu. There you can disable asking for the media type screen at startup.
 Yes I know, I did make this obscure. I plan on creating a separate "Settings" Icon alongside Help eventually
And yes, Windows is giving me all those folders to choose from since it has supposedly organized your media.
dale

atc98092

Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:13 pm

I strongly recommend using something other than the built in DLNA server that comes in Windows. It does very little transcoding of the media can't be played by your Roku. The two I recommend the most is Serviio and Plex. Serviio has great support and is vastly customizable, while Plex offers a great user app for the Roku. Of course, RMP works with Plex as well if you enable DLNA in the Plex server settings.  
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mc510

Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:53 pm

Thanks, so far my DLNA needs are REALLY minimal and maybe can be met with Windows 10, but if I run into problems I'll definitely check out those other two options

mc510

Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:39 pm

Dale, is Roku Media Player the right place to hope for the addition of support for the Windows 10 Edge browser "cast to device" feature? I've been unable to find any technical details about this Edge-casting feature, but plenty of unofficial commentary that suggests that it does not require Miracast and can actually work with DLNA alone.

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:24 am

If windows 10 supports a dlna server and can use the protocol to enable a dlna client to receive a cast then it probably should work. I'd need to look at the specifics of the win10 feature to see how it actually works.

mc510

Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks Dale, that's encouraging; would be very cool and handy if it worked.  It doesn't work for me at present (Roku 2 XS on 7.2) but I don't know if the problem is on the Roku side (e.g., Roku Media Player not announcing its DLNA client or not able to process the request from the Windows 10 DLNA server) or on the Windows 10 side (and I do see a fair bit of commentary about the Edge browser casting feature being a bit unstable).

RokuDale
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:00 am

My suspicion is that this win10 feature is looking for a dlna "renderer". The Roku doesn't advertise itself as a dlna renderer. RMP using upnp/dlna doesn't advertise itself, it searchs and listens for dlna servers to advertise themselves. It then accesses the remote dlna server to browse content and pull it to the roku. I believe the Win10 feature is looking for a dlna renderer to push content.
RMP will not be able to help with this. I think miracast is the only current solution.

mc510

Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks again Dale, your guess about advertising DLNA renderer makes sense. Isn't advertising DLNA client capabilities, including functioning as a DLNA renderer, a built-in part of the UPnP/SSDP/DLNA specification?  And maybe then not too difficult to activate in RMP?