Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

crammy
Topic Author

Why Roku 2 doesn't fallback to a working wireless router?

Wed Sep 21, 2016 7:30 pm

I have several wireless router running with different SSIDs.  It's great that the Roku 2 remembers the login and password to all the wireless router I use in the house, but why doesn't it automatically switch to the next working wireless connection when one router is down?  My smartphone is smart and switches automatically.

ghb51

Re: Why Roku 2 doesn't fallback to a working wireless router?

Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:35 am

This is all just one big assumption, but, most network transitions aren't seamless, meaning when you go from one to another there's a brief moment when you're disconnected entirely. That's not really noticeable when you're looking at a static web page, but when you're dealing with video it probably will be noticeable with buffering or losing the video feed entirely, so if the Roku was constantly looking for the strongest network and switching to it there would be lots of streaming problems, hence the need for manually switching from one to another instead of automatic.

atc98092

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:01 am

You are correct that there would be a very short disconnect if the Roku was constantly searching for the strongest WAP. However, I believe what he was referring to was if the connected WAP went offline, most devices will search for another recognized access point and connect automatically. With a Roku, wireless connectivity to any access point other than the last used requires manual intervention. I have several WAPs in my home as well, but most of them use the same SSID, so my devices just connect to the strongest one depending on location.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:16 am

Likely because Roku isn't designed to be mobile. Also, comparing Roku to a Smartphone isn't a good comparison considering you're comparing a $400 device to a $100 device. Smartphones are mini computers, Roku is more an appliance (dedicated for one function, which is streaming).
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:41 am

I don't think this would be a huge or complicated fix, but I think it wouldn't be particularly useful to most people (who only have one wireless access point in their homes). 

atc98092

Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:03 am

trekkeriii wrote:
Likely because Roku isn't designed to be mobile. Also, comparing Roku to a Smartphone isn't a good comparison considering you're comparing a $400 device to a $100 device. Smartphones are mini computers, Roku is more an appliance (dedicated for one function, which is streaming).

Well, the Stick works quite well mobile, although I don't have a great success rate with the Hotel connect function. I'm only batting about 50% so far. But I'm carrying a small travel router with me, and I can get one or the other to work in a hotel. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.