Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DaBronx
** Valued Community Member **
Topic Author

Netflix's catalog has shrunk by a whopping 50% in the past few years

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:28 pm

Good to know it's not my imagination when I say to myself, "self, there aren't as many choices as there used to be" when browsing Netflix.   --brett

Nathan McAlone

7h ago

If you’ve felt like Netflix’s US catalog has shrunk dramatically since the company started making its own shows and movies, you’re absolutely right.

Since 2012, Netflix’s selection of titles has dropped over 50%, from roughly 11,000 titles to ~5,300, according to streaming blog Exstreamist, which cites multiple former Netflix employees.

Extreamist's sources estimate the height of Netflix’s catalog size was in 2012, before the company began ......................

Read the full article @ http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix- ... nks-2016-9
55" Insignia-Roku 4K TV, 40" Hisense Roku TV, Roku2 XS #13A164000326, R3 #1GJ36A038993, R4 wired to Netgear WND 3700 router, 300 mb TWC broadband (Subscriber- 2019 MLB.TV Premium, 2018-19 NHL.TV, Hulu+, Netflix, Amazon Prime)

Elijah_Baley

Re: Netflix's catalog has shrunk by a whopping 50% in the past few years

Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Now I know why I felt that when I activated Netflix that there was little to choose so I deactivated it again. I have only turned Netflix on for about two months out of the last two years.

My personal library has something over 3000 titles with movies and TV shows and they are almost all something I have chosen to have. For me my personal library is superior to Netflix.

Netflix's relevance for me has dropped to the point where I no longer find myself even tempted to activate it again. It is all about quality content and 98% (OK that is just a feeling) of the Netflix content that I do not have is of very little interest to me.

I do have Amazon Prime Video and their content is really no better than Netflix's but the other benefits of Prime is what I find beneficial and the videos are, for me, just a free source that I rarely use. I have watched a Prime video maybe five or six times in the last three months.

I recognize that I am in a position that few other folks are in as I inherited a LARGE library of media from an uncle whose tastes were just about identical to mine and I am willing to wait for most new stuff on DVD to drop in price or even appear in bargain bins or at used DVD sales sites.

For me for the last two years Netflix has just been irrelevant for me as has been Hulu and all the other pay TV streaming sites. They have made themselves so by failing to maintain a diverse quality library. Now if I could just get rid of my pesky morality and use pirated material I would not even have to buy anything but the costs for me are small as I am pretty selective in the content I want.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Heyitsrick

Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:10 pm

DaBronx wrote:
Good to know it's not my imagination when I say to myself, "self, there aren't as many choices as there used to be" when browsing Netflix.   --brett

Nathan McAlone

7h ago

If you’ve felt like Netflix’s US catalog has shrunk dramatically since the company started making its own shows and movies, you’re absolutely right.

Since 2012, Netflix’s selection of titles has dropped over 50%, from roughly 11,000 titles to ~5,300, according to streaming blog Exstreamist, which cites multiple former Netflix employees.

Extreamist's sources estimate the height of Netflix’s catalog size was in 2012, before the company began ......................

Read the full article @ http://www.businessinsider.com/netflix- ... nks-2016-9

There are two things going on here, and they are not mutually exclusive. Netflix wants to be ever more involved in original programming.  They've demonstrated as much. The movie studios now see them as not only a price cutter for their content, but as a competitor in the original content game.  They are trying to throw as many roadblocks as possible on Netflix where it comes to licensing content, from what I can see.  And that's it in a nutshell, in my view.

By and large, I don't use Netflix for movie releases. I'm watching them for original series now, and binging on some older TV series as I think of them. Same for Amazon.  Just finished watching Bosch (Season 2) on Amazon. I really enjoy the show.  I watch Transparent, too, but I could take or leave it.  Netflix has House of Cards, Bloodline, etc.  They're doing quality stuff. I suppose I could stop/start the subscription as needed, but haven't felt the money squeeze yet.

Elijah_Baley

Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:50 pm

It just occurred to me that there was an indication of Netflix's increasing irrelevance for many people on Saturday. That is Netflix had a major service outage for several hours on Saturday and there was not one post on these forums about it that I saw. In previous years any Netflix outage would cause these forums to become inundated with posts even going so far as to blame Roku or threaten to cancel Netflix if the problem was not corrected expeditiously.

While there was, according to reports, a large number of Twitter posts about the problem there were none here and that is quite unprecedented in recent history.

In itself that means little but it does seem to indicate that Netflix is just not as important as it used to be for many people.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

Tonyj64

Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:17 am

This is true about netflix u.s, it is now roughly in line with other regions catalogue size maybe its also to stop the want for region switching, as i actually prefer my own uk netflix for the first time in a long while.

mc510

Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:52 am

I realized a while ago that Netflix -- since it is a digital products company that runs on silicon hardware that operates according to the principles of quantum uncertainty -- can be described by the Netflix Uncertainty Principle, which is a derivation of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  In short, every video has a 50 percent chance of being available on Netflix streaming ... until the moment at which you decide that you'd like to watch a particular video, at which point the probability function for that particular video collapses into a definitive No, It's Not on Netflix.

Billy T Kidd

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:39 am

You can put me on the list of ppl who've dropped NF.There just isn't much of anything there that i like anymore.The kinds of movies i like have mostly been replaced with kiddie Crap and other 'stuff' i have no use for.I do restart my sub once a year for the new seasons of House Of Cards and Marco Polo,but after watching i drop my sub til the next year.
Luckily i have a library with ~1500+/- movie titles (and growing),plus maybe a dozen complete series of old tv shows.Also have a Lot (don't know the exact count) of audio books i copied off U-TOOB.
Throw in OTA tv,a few choice Roku private/public channels,a laptop i can watch,or DL stuff i want to keep,and i have found that i don't need NF or most other pay services anymore.I still use Vudu from time to time.

mikebdoss

Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:41 am

I'd get rid of Netflix if not for the rest of the family still enjoying it - Amazon Prime has a lot of overlap. I don't think it's lacking in material in general, I just have so many other things to watch lately (mostly OTA channels) that it's not something I regularly use. 

reddice

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:17 pm

Netflix is terrible now.  I use to watch it at least 6 hours every night now maybe one or 2 hours tops and not even every night.  Most of the content I want to watch "classic TV" that I did not finish expired and I hate the adult original crap.  Sorry I hate it and I will say it again.  I still subscribe but with there stupid 50% original crap they want to push next year and beyond I most likely won't be much longer especially if the price goes up again.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

reddice

Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:20 pm

Elijah_Baley wrote:
It just occurred to me that there was an indication of Netflix's increasing irrelevance for many people on Saturday. That is Netflix had a major service outage for several hours on Saturday and there was not one post on these forums about it that I saw. In previous years any Netflix outage would cause these forums to become inundated with posts even going so far as to blame Roku or threaten to cancel Netflix if the problem was not corrected expeditiously.

While there was, according to reports, a large number of Twitter posts about the problem there were none here and that is quite unprecedented in recent history.

In itself that means little but it does seem to indicate that Netflix is just not as important as it used to be for many people.

I did not even notice.  I only watched one hour of Netflix on Saturday "Quantum Leap" then watched Amazon Prime "Primeevil".  Years ago I would have noticed watching 6 hours of Netflix.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

empirefalls

Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:42 pm

I have not had NETFLIX for 8 months now, Since i bit----ed about here. And nothing on
Havent missed it at all.   

8traxrule

Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:29 pm

It's definitely time for a more movie-centric service to step up to the plate. I wish Vudu had at least some of their titles on a subscription basis, similar to Amazon. I don't care about most made-for-TV material and especially stuff made exclusively for streaming, plus Netflix's interface on newer devices that interrupts end credits is simply unacceptable- a shame, since their picture and sound quality have improved infinitely from when they first started out.

reddice

Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:58 pm

Netflix plans to dump $1 billion into original programming
I can't believe that Netflix is wasting a billion yes a billion dollars and they said it on original content most I can't watch.  I am looking forward to that "A Series of Unfortunate Events" but if it's mature rated I am cancelling Netflix.  Yes I will do.  I nearly did last year after the crap they pulled with the Marvel Daredevil and Jessica Jones series which I looked forward to until I said that horrible MA rating. For those who like to watch sex, swearing and gore good for you.  That crap never plays on my TV.

8traxrule wrote:
It's definitely time for a more movie-centric service to step up to the plate. I wish Vudu had at least some of their titles on a subscription basis, similar to Amazon. I don't care about most made-for-TV material and especially stuff made exclusively for streaming, plus Netflix's interface on newer devices that interrupts end credits is simply unacceptable- a shame, since their picture and sound quality have improved infinitely from when they first started out.

I am thinking about buying some of those older series only if they are in HD.  Yes even series form the 60's were remastered in HD and if they are cheaper than the disk versions.  So far all I have been buying is movies when they have $5 deals.  Otherwise forget about any other service starting up with older content.  As soon as they ruin it with orignal and it has happened to almost all the cable networks then it will turn into another Notflix turd.
Charter Spectrum.
Cats are the best pets.

8traxrule

Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:53 am

The funny thing is even with Netflix's price increase, I can't see how they make much money and all of these original productions must be a considerable expense. True that many of them are also sold on disc later, but Netflix must be footing the bill for a large amount of them (which makes it all the more baffling that these shows include end credits sequences yet Netflix seems determined to make it as difficult as possible to actually watch them). While I enjoy a few TV series, my main viewing focus is movies and I'd rather money be spent to acquire more of those than this "original content." I felt the same way about cable movie channels, and of course those have flip-flopped between movies and original series since the 1980s.

mikebdoss

Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:28 am

8traxrule wrote:
The funny thing is even with Netflix's price increase, I can't see how they make much money and all of these original productions must be a considerable expense. True that many of them are also sold on disc later, but Netflix must be footing the bill for a large amount of them (which makes it all the more baffling that these shows include end credits sequences yet Netflix seems determined to make it as difficult as possible to actually watch them). While I enjoy a few TV series, my main viewing focus is movies and I'd rather money be spent to acquire more of those than this "original content." I felt the same way about cable movie channels, and of course those have flip-flopped between movies and original series since the 1980s.

Clicking "up" once during the credits is "as difficult as possible"?