Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Feature Requests - Fourth Quarter 2016

Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:28 pm

A week late, but .... 

This thread is for posting feature suggestions for the 3rd quarter of 2016. Each quarter, I will be starting a new thread in order to keep the information concise, and will archive older threads as needed.

Feel free to make your own feature requests!

(If I get some free time this weekend and/or next week, I'll update the Top Feature Requests listing)

C. Shawn Smith

Top Previous Feature Requests
  • Support for USB Antenna (for OTA)
  • Passcode individual channels/settings/channel store
  • DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru
  • 1080p/24p playback
  • Categorize channel lineup (folders, etc)
  • Remote with programmable favorite buttons
  • Wireless audio transmission for Roku Remote App (like Roku 3 audio port)
  • Ability to pair with BlueTooth headphones
  • Screensaver that is simply a 100% Black Screen
  • allow both private listening and the tv speakers to be active at the same time
  • DD+>DD transcoding over optical and HDMI on Roku 4
  • the ability to set up a WiFi remote capable device (such as a Roku 2/3 or a Stck) with a mobile device
  • To be continued ...
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

captivater

Re: Feature Requests - Fourth Quarter 2016

Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:55 am

Thanks for including "Previous Top Requests"

New Request: **Cache storage**

The data cap situation is going to be a sore subject in the years to come
Re buffering streams is an ineffective use of bandwidth
Obviously, this isn't retroactive, but something to potentially implement in future HW

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:41 am

More as a vote: 
  • DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru
With rumors of more UV services starting to support DTS-HD streams and my Plex collection, be cool if Roku supported it. I'd be willing to buy Ultra if that's the only device that supported.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Rcosta

Sun Oct 09, 2016 2:54 pm

captivater wrote:
Thanks for including "Previous Top Requests"

New Request: **Cache storage**

The data cap situation is going to be a sore subject in the years to come
Re buffering streams is an ineffective use of bandwidth
Obviously, this isn't retroactive, but something to potentially implement in future HW

@Captivater. I know that this does not apply to everyone, but my ISP(Comcast) has just announced an INCREASE of data as of November 1st. In the past Comcast said that they did not have a data cap, but in reality the data cap was around 300 GB. Comcast announced a 1 TB data cap per month.  They did this in conjunction with increasing the data speeds as of last month. I am almost 250 Mps download 13 Mbs upload. That is OUTSTANDING news for those people that this applies to and want to stream 4K content especially. I do not know what caused the shift is in their business model and infrastructure, but we will have to watch to see if the other big players follow suit. 
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

Komag

Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:00 pm

For the programmable favorite buttons, the branded favorite buttons would still work from Home screen or any other Roku interface sub-menu, and would also still work inside any channel except ones where we have opted to program them for something else. If Roku people think this would lead to consumer confusion ("why does my Netflix button usually work whatever channel I'm in, but not always?!?!?"), then just have the favorite buttons work from Roku menus and never from within channels. It's totally easy for people to hit HOME first, then their favorite channel button. Those channels would still get "advertising" exposure and all that. And then us channel designers could really add some nice customized input options for people, such as in games to have extra short-cuts.

captivater

Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:19 am

Rcosta wrote:
@Captivater. Comcast announced a 1 TB data cap per month... That is OUTSTANDING news for those people that this applies to and want to stream 4K content especially....

For a larger family or even heavier bandwidth users, 1 TB is pathetic.
Comcast has been toying with nonsensical caps for years now. Varies from state to state, and even city to city. & although I prefer using the Roku to stream, I recently switched it out for an Xbox due to the Xbox's ability to cache. I'm strongly considering switching out the other Rokus in the house to Apple TVs solely for their ability to cache.

Toss1

Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:20 pm

To go forward with the programable favorites button.

I think you should sell an add-on universal remote that can work with your Roku stick (Wi-Fi I believe), has IR for TVs (power, input, volume), **and programmable favorites buttons**. This should be all in one (not a cheap clip-on) and with a MSRP no higher than $29.99 (any more and you will continue to hurt your reputation (ie, money hungry.... homepage ads, remote ads, etc)).

Bamafan35611

Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:27 pm

Please support dts ma and true hd

andyross

Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:02 am

Add the ability to use standard SMB (Windows) network shares for the media player. DLNA can be iffy and requires extra software. DLNA servers often just show things in a big giant mess instead of being able to go through folders.

yujikimura

Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:55 am

I second the improved remote sold separately idea. I would love a Roku remote that can turn my tv/receiver on and adjust their volume. I already have it always connected just to the Roku anyways.
And maybe providing exchangeable buttons for the channels I want or at least having generic buttons that we can assign through to the channels we like. A Roku remote with Netflix, Amazon, Plex and Hbo go buttons would be the best setup for me and I think everyone would love to have their own customized remote.
DTS-MA and TrueHD passthrough or decode is also a really good idea.
A crazy idea would be split screen mode with one audio outputing to the remote headphone jack.
Bluetooth or USB wireless controller support would also be nice. Imagine being able to connect your ps4 controller to a Roku and use PS Now on the Roku, that would be awesome, although it requires work from both Roku and Sony. Also it may never happen since Sony would be cannibalizing its own market space, but one can always dream. 

djrtryx

Sat Oct 15, 2016 12:41 pm

Please add support for screen mirroring to the Roku Ultra like all the Roku's before it have! I use this often to mirror my Android screen and now it's gone as an option on the latest and most expensive Roku Ultra model which is strange to me.

Dakotah

Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:48 pm

Another vote for DTS-HD and TrueHD

Rich_T

Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:41 am

4K output on the top Roku models? Amazons Fire Tv has 4k, the forthcoming Chromecast has 4K, Roku has the Roku 3 ( model 4300EU) as the latest model, which hasn't been enabled for 4K output. It seems odd that Roku has "no plans to introduce a 4K compatible device" for a company/line of devices that was once cutting edge.

atc98092

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:32 pm

Rich_T wrote:
4K output on the top Roku models? Amazons Fire Tv has 4k, the forthcoming Chromecast has 4K, Roku has the Roku 3 ( model 4300EU) as the latest model, which hasn't been enabled for 4K output. It seems odd that Roku has "no plans to introduce a 4K compatible device" for a company/line of devices that was once cutting edge.

Rich, Roku has had a 4K device for some time. The Roku 4 supports 4K 10 bit color, and the new line that just came out this month has several models (Premiere, Premiere + and Ultra) that support 4K, and two of them support HDR. 
As far as adding 4K to older devices, it can't be done. 4K requires HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 support, which can't be done via software. It requires specific hardware to meet the specs. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Rich_T

Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:39 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Rich_T wrote:

Rich, Roku has had a 4K device for some time. The Roku 4 supports 4K 10 bit color, and the new line that just came out this month has several models (Premiere, Premiere + and Ultra) that support 4K, and two of them support HDR. 
As far as adding 4K to older devices, it can't be done. 4K requires HDCP 2.2 and HDMI 2.0 support, which can't be done via software. It requires specific hardware to meet the specs. 

The 4K Roku 4, as well as the new line up is only seeing the light of day in a few select markets.  A nice feature would be for Roku to r update its product line