Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

firemandude

Re: Feature Requests - Fourth Quarter 2016

Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:46 pm

Would like to see Roku media player able to play "Flash" video content.
Would like to see Internet Browsing capability added ( A couple channels offer this but are complete trash)

dmitch77

Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:09 pm

I'd like to request a passthrough option so that when viewing content at a lower resolution than the output of the Roku is configured for, the Roku just passes the content as is, without upconverting. For example if I tell my Roku that my TV is 4K UHD, then currently the Roku upconverts everything to 4K. I believe my TV is probably better at upconverting to its particular display than the Roku ever could be, so I'd prefer that the job of upconverting be left to the TV. So I request an option which selects "upconvert" or "passthrough".

jjrjr1

Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:34 pm

How about brining the Roku experience up to the rest of the worlds media players.
Can we add a stretch to fit option on the Roku??
These days most TVs do not have that function installed anymore.
In fact both my UHDs do not offer that ability. (Unlike my old HD TVs)
Most every other player around today can do this, including Android, IOS, and Windows media players.
Why not Roku???
Even if not available as a overall Roku setting, How about just including the API for Brightscript to use for developers making Roku channels such as Hulu, Netflix, and Plex.

Schmye Bubbula

Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:24 am

Can you look into putting back "Enable selecting all resolutions" in Platform Secret Screen > System Operations Menu? (Accessed from the Roku remote control by Home 5x, FF, Play, RW, Play, FF.) It was abruptly removed from the menu with June 2016's firmware update 7.2. We use it to be able to select "4:3 standard" in Settings > Display type when using an HDMI-only Roku through an HDMI-to-Composite converter with an old TV. (Such converters do not adjust display aspect ratio.) Although the current sales market share of old TVs is zero, their **installed base** fell below flat screens only a couple of years ago, and will remain just under half in use nationwide for some years to come. You will know when to drop “Enable selecting all resolutions” when Walmart stops devoting precious shelf space to TV digital/analog converters. The Roku Express+ and Roku 1 do not offer 5 GHz Wi-Fi, a MUST for people, for example, living in an apartment complex hammered with interference from 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi neighbors. And the Roku 1 doesn't work right with some channels (like Netflix). Diehard Roku enthusiasts want the greater speed and other advanced features available only in the higher Roku models, too. Even HDMI-only flatscreen TV owners use 4:3 aspect ratio at times, to un-squeeze the picture of old shows & movies broadcast stretched to fill the widescreen by some channels (such as the GRIT network). The "Enable selecting all resolutions" functionality is still in the hardware, but somebody at Roku decided to arbitrarily remove owners’ access to it, leaving us stranded with distorted, unwatchable pictures on the screen. (While a 4:3 setting made prior to the summer update so far has survived across subsequent firmware updates, if it inadvertently gets changed, or needs to be set in the first place for just-purchased use, it leaves us with bricked Rokus.) This will not pose additional tech support burden to Roku; the HDMI > Composite converter vendors have been assuming that. We aren't asking for Composite connectors on all Roku models, but we cheerfully bought our cheap $25 HDMI-to-Composite converters in good faith, and without complaint, only to be suddenly thrown under the bus! Please reinstate “Enable selecting all resolutions”!
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

ngs428

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:39 pm

DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru

I know it is in the first post, but it is 2016. Lets make this happen for at least the premier+ and higher.

We want our HD audio too, not just 4K video.

ngs428

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:40 pm

tjcinnamon wrote:
trekkeriii wrote:
More as a vote: 
  • DTS-HD & TrueHD passthru
With rumors of more UV services starting to support DTS-HD streams and my Plex collection, be cool if Roku supported it. I'd be willing to buy Ultra if that's the only device that supported.

+1  
Passthrough Audio:  Atmos, DTS-X, etc...

Agreed.

ngs428

Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:41 pm

Bamafan35611 wrote:
Please support dts ma and true hd

Agreed again. And agree with the 5 others that requested this here too.

It works great on Nvidia Shield (which would have been a Roku Ultra if you had this feature).

Omnitographer

Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:24 pm

I registered solely to request that the Roku devs please look into releasing an official integration with Google home. Currently home only supports controlling a chromecast device, being able to perform an action such as "hey Google, tell Roku to play the crown on Netflix" or "hey Google, tell Roku to play the Beatles on prime music" would be absolutely amazing.

Thank you.

JohnBoy1

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:07 pm

Just got firmware 7.5.1 for my ultra and just wished auto framerate switching was included which it wasn't...

So please Roku engineers grant us with 24hz support either by manual force or auto for Christmas.

startreksteve

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:42 am

How about releasing all those new US models in the UK?
screw Murdoch

Steve
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

filmguy1974

Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:24 am

Biggest feature for me would be native framerate support for 4K 10-bit/HDR.  Forcing 60hz at the full 18gbps puts a lot of strain on anyone with longer cable runs.  Anyone with a cable run longer than 20 ft. is basically unable to use this device for HDR viewing unless they've spent hundreds of dollars on a fiber optic HDMI solution.  Also, forcing 60hz results in judder for all content on Netflix and Amazon, which should natively play back at 24.  

Omnitographer

Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:22 pm

Feature request: future feature request threads include a list of features implemented after being requested in past threads. Its all well an good to see the things people most want, but I can't tell from looking at the first post if any of those have actually been implemented or even planned for implementation.

Elinell

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:37 pm

Andrew1472 wrote:
Support on all devices for 50hz to solve the awful judder on 25fps content i.e BBC productions. A simple manual switch in settings would be a good start.

Yes!! This!!!

Elinell

Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:40 pm

Fix the terrible judder issue on 25fps content. It makes all BBC Productions virtually unwatchable. Support on all devices for 50hz or a simple manual switch in settings would be a good start.

NetStreamer

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 pm

As a long time Roku user (new to posting here), I've always wished the following were available:

- More detailed information as to what the device is doing maybe via a 'diagnostics' option.  Like current power draw, internal heat temp, fan speed (if equipped), current network throughput (up/down), total bandwidth used by the device (and a way to sort by instant, daily, weekly, monthly, total, etc.).

- As above, add option to view current audio/video output specs in real time to include: resolution, codecs used, encoding, audio format, video format, HDR on/off, HDMI settings info.

- Ability to change remote controllers between devices.  I LOVE the feel of the Roku Ultimate controller but never liked the smooth finish on the Roku 4.  Would be nice to be able to have an option to purchase (or use) my Ultimate controller on my Roku 4.

- Add the same power options to the Roku Ultimate that are available on the Roku 4 (power off, low power mode, etc.).  Ultimate just stays on all the time.

- Add some sort of bandwidth management option to restrict the network activity for those of us with ISP bandwidth caps.  Eg, set hours data can be downloaded, set warnings for bandwidth usage, maybe even add ability to add firewall features to restrict IP's.

- Add stabilizing "nubs" to the bottom corners of the remotes so they stop wobbling when on a flat surface.