Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

jrijr
Topic Author

Buffering/Delays with Sling on Roku

Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:22 am

While using my Roku Stick, I have found that I seem to have buffering issues with video - primarily while using Sling TV.  Last night it took ~20 minutes for my Roku to finally "catch" TBS on Sling TV - and even then I had issues where the picture would pixelate and sound distort.  I tried a reboot, and no luck.  I did an internet speed test, and all appeared fine.

Any suggestions of what else to consider/try?  The stick is only a couple years old - it shouldn't be worn out yet.

Thank you!
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

atc98092

Re: Buffering/Delays with Sling on Roku

Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:52 am

I would be suspicious of Wi-Fi interference. Since the Stick has no Ethernet jack, you're forced to use wireless. Depending on your environment that could be an issue. I've noticed when using my Stick in hotels that there are times the remote doesn't work well, and definitely have connectivity issues. Since hotels have multiple access points throughout the building, there is great potential for interference. At your home, a neighbor might have installed a new router that is using the same channel as yours and is causing interference. Might be worth trying a channel change on your router.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

T_J

Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:00 am

I watched 2015 James Bond movie Spectre on Sunday night on (EPIX free weekend) on Sling TV. No buffering at all, maybe took 5 seconds to start on my 1.28 Mbps DSL Ethernet cable connected Roku 2 (4210R). Picture looked pretty good, almost as good as Netflix does on my 40" Sony.
Spectre sounded great with no sound distortion on my 1985 Pioneer component stereo (~ $1180 MSRP new, akdatabase.org). 

Brian_W

Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:30 pm

I have been having issues tonight with my Sling channel playing any video at all on my Roku. The channel also buffers from time to time...well, at least daily. I have found though that if you open the Sling app and go into settings>connection and lower it to high or medium, that tends to help out quite a bit. Doesn't degrade the picture all that much either.

jrijr
Topic Author

Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:37 am

Brian_W wrote:
I have been having issues tonight with my Sling channel playing any video at all on my Roku. The channel also buffers from time to time...well, at least daily. I have found though that if you open the Sling app and go into settings>connection and lower it to high or medium, that tends to help out quite a bit. Doesn't degrade the picture all that much either.

Thanks Brian - I will give that a try.  
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

jmedeiros

Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:00 am

I was also having buffering issues & found that going into the Sling app & setting the network speed from the top speed to 'High' alleviated the buffering.  :D  I'd hate to think that the Sling app on my Roku, Android & Mac all have a bug when using the highest speed.  :(