Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Topic Author

Re: Roku Outage

Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:58 am

gigimcduffie wrote:
It was a number from the roku fb page. I am still having issues with activation of my device.

Please send me a link to the exact page asap.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

SkiRX

Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:23 am

Apologies for the repost, but it's coming up on TWO WEEKS that I've been unable to activate two new Roku TVs and I do not yet have a fix from Roku.

Shawn, please read the ENTIRE note below. It should provide enough detail that you should be able to respond with a more useful comment than "did you try another browser?"

Thanks.

I purchased a TCL 28S3750 Roku TV on October 14 and have been trying and unable activate it with Roku for a week. The TV connects to the wireless network and the internet and gets to the Activate your TV screen. After entering the code from the TV into the Roku linking web site www.roku.com/link, the site produces the error message below. This has happened the 50+ times I have tried with various configurations (described below).
“The website experienced an unexpected problem. There was an unexpected error in the website. The current page will not load. Close and re-open your browser, navigate back to the website, and try repeating your last actions. If the problem persists, please contact our support team. If reporting this error please reference the following url: https://my.roku.comundefined

I already have one Roku device and it works fine. That one is connected to my network via Ethernet. Thinking maybe the TV has a problem, I bought a second Roku TV (Sharp LC-32LB481U) at Best Buy that has the same problem when trying to activate. I’ve done factory resets on both TVs, as well as unplugging them for a few minutes before trying again. Geek Squad came over to try their luck and also failed to activate it.

Lots of other devices connect wirelessly to my network without a problem (Sonos, iPad, Kindle, etc.) and I even set up an open network on my router (Asus RT-AC68U) with no security and added the TV’s MAC address. I confirmed that the TV is connected to my router.

I tried activating on two different computers and three different browsers, as well as on Safari on an iPhone and FireFox on an Android phone. I cleared the cache and browser history. I even brought the TV to a neighbor’s house and tried unsuccessfully to set it up on his network. I contacted TCL who sent me to Roku. I called Roku four times and each time after trying all the usual things (clearing browser history, resetting TV, etc.) the problem persisted and I was told Roku is having an issue with their web site and to try again later. They gave no estimated time for a fix. I also posted to Roku’s Facebook page and a rep said they fixed the problem and to try again. No luck.

This is nuts.

Swapnil

Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 pm

I have problem too. My new TCL.Roku TV is not getting the activation code on the TV. Have not been able to use the TV at all since I brought it. When will the issue get resolved?

Ek9pr

Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:21 pm

Good evening!! Purchased roku ultra on 22nd of October saturday an still unable to link account. Have been trying twice a day since saturday no luck whats the problem ??? Have been trying on safari, internet explorer, chrome, mac, etc.....nothing!!! Getting frustrating @ least give us an eta!!!!!

knuckle
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:45 am

Hi Folks

If you are NOT using a VPN port forwarding or domain blocking on your router/network listen carefully -- I have run into this quite a bit lately where ISPs are blocking access to the Roku server the first thing to try is to change the DNS on your router to a public domain server -- I use google 8.8.8.8 if this does not help you may need to authorize using another ISP ( such as a hot spot on you phone ) It has been my experience that only the activation is being blocked and once activated the unit should run with out issue ... If you need help changing the DNS please post back with the name of your ISP and router make and model and we can help you with this (if possible )
ROKU 3 4114AT076252
ROKU 2 LT 16A182002191
ROKU 2 LT #2 16A19K025194
ROKU HD 18D2CP067635
Roku TV 2N002P050587 2WE012050587
ROKU HDMI STICK 5S35CF000124
Roku Express + YU000X236772
all running wireless on a Technicolor C2000T

Swapnil

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:12 am

I tried with phone hotspot as well. Still the same issue. Not able to get the activation code. Roku TV shows connected but it does not give the activation code. Looks like there is a problem from Roku side which they have not been able to fix for 2 weeks now. Amazing, production bug not fixed for 2 weeks!!!!!

Ek9pr

Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:44 am

Thanks knuckle,
Worked flawlessly!!

maazrak

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:11 pm

I am still not able to register my device. It has been 9 days. I have an email stating this:

Dear Mohammed,

I appreciate your time in contacting Roku Customer Support.

You have contacted us regarding the website issue .

I want to make sure that everything is working fine at your end before we close this case.

I am looking forward for the problem to be fixed.

Please feel free to contact Roku Support for help with your issue. We are here to help, and

want to make sure you get back to streaming your favorite movies and shows as soon as

possible.

We have lots of ways to contact Roku Support. Just click the link below to get started:

FAQ Link: https://support.roku.com/hc/en-us/artic ... ct-Support

Our support agents will be more than happy to assist you. Thank you for choosing Roku.

Regards,

uma

Roku Support Group

Roku has updated CaseID #6095226

Today, 6:07 AM

You

You replied on 10/27/2016 4:00 PM.

Roku has updated CaseID #6095226 Page 1 of 1
https://outlook.live.com/owa/?viewmodel ... MkADAwAT... 10/27/2016
I am at the Add some channels to your account after I added the code and it is stuck on Loading......

maazrak

Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:22 pm

Ek9pr wrote:
Good evening!! Purchased roku ultra on 22nd of October  saturday an still unable to link account. Have been trying twice a day since saturday no luck whats the problem ???  Have been trying on safari, internet explorer, chrome, mac, etc.....nothing!!! Getting frustrating @ least give us an eta!!!!!

Its been more than a week for me. Almost going on two weeks.......

LeonardR

Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:59 pm

Shawn,
Just received my new Ultra. I set up a new account, I live in California, and every time I try entering the link code the website displays that it is having a problem after a minute. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with tech-support.
Tech Support said it's a known problem in the US and set up my account for other countries. I was then able to successfully link my ultra. Thereafter, I found I could not add the channels I wanted so customer care set it back to the US and advised me to unlink and re-link. Once again as a US customer trying to link with the website saying it's in countering a problem. Tech Support said it's a known issue.
I'm really upset as I decommissioned my apple streaming device for this.
Is it really an issue that since mid October United States customers in some parts of the country have not been able to link their devices ??

LeonardR

Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:24 pm

Further to my earlier post. IT'S WORKING NOW !!

I followed knuckles advice and use my iPhones Wi-Fi hotspot on Roku. There after attempted the link process and it worked !

shaggyman

Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:19 am

Just so you know, "Add some channels to your account" is still failing to load, and redirecting to either
"The website experienced an unexpected problem"
or
"Page not found".
Can ANYTHING be done?

jontalk

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:29 am

Shawn...Last night my Roku 3 started to update to the new firmware version and it took nearly 5 minutes to download. I have a WIRED/Ethernet connection to my 100 mbps service so I felt this must have been associated with the outage you're stating here. Did this begin last night some time or? All other updates generally download and install in under a minute. Thanks
Roku 3 - Power User (film maker)
Mill Valley, CA

Jonathan
LG OLED55B7A, Roku 3, Marantz SR-6005, Panasonic Blu Ray, Definitive Studio Monitor 450 (L/R), Definitive LCR 2000 (center), Definitive 10" sub-woofer, Definitive surrounds.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:31 am

jontalk wrote:
Shawn...Last night my Roku 3 started to update to the new firmware version and it took nearly 5 minutes to download. I have a WIRED/Ethernet connection to my 100 mbps service so I felt this must have been associated with the outage you're stating here. Did this begin last night some time or? All other updates generally download and install in under a minute. Thanks

This thread was in regards to a temporary outage last week. 

MacysBruce

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:57 am

Over the past two days, I'm noticing I'm unable to access the channel store on any of my ROKU devices (two sticks, one TV). Any ideas on how to fix that issue?
I will bring home anyone or anything I choose...including a one eyed Episcopalian kangaroo, if that happens to be my kinky inclination!