Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

karibouofdoom
Topic Author

PBS channel won't show all videos

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:04 pm

I have a Roku 3 and it's worked great for everything until today. I'm logged into my activated PBS channel and, seemingly at random, some videos won't play. When I select them, I get a message that says, "Sorry! This video is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later." I have tried again later, with no luck. It isn't an internet issue and the videos are available via PBS because I can watch them on my PC through my browser. I've restarted the Roku and I've deactivated and reactivated the PBS app, but nothing fixes it. There are PBS videos I just can't watch through my Roku. Help?

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Re: PBS channel won't show all videos

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:06 pm

First thing to ALWAYS try when you encounter an issue like this.  Delete the channel, reboot the Roku, and then re-add the channel.  This usually corrects the issue, but not always.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

karibouofdoom
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:19 pm

I just gave that a shot. No luck. Just to be safe, I deactivated the channel, removed it, rebooted, even unplugged and re-plugged the unit in, then added and activated the channel again, but the same videos refuse to load. (About 1/3 of the NOVA episodes I try to watch won't load.) I'll use my PC in the short-term, but it would be great if it somehow magically fixed itself!

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:24 pm

What firmware version and build is your unit reporting?  (Settings > System > About)

I should have a few hours to check my local units this weekend.  I haven't seen any other reports of this problem on the forums, via email, nor through CS though.

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

karibouofdoom
Topic Author

Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Version 7.2.0, build 4100-04

Oh -- by the way, I'm a PBS supporter with the passport feature, but the glitch is happening on both the exclusive (subscribed) shows and the free-to-everyone shows. Seems I'll never learn "Newton's Dark Secrets" nor how people are "Dying to Be Thin." Oh, the suspense! :)

Thanks very much for the help!

loree1223

Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:48 pm

Hi! I am having the same exact problem as the author. Any tips on how to fix this?

mc510

Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:06 pm

This has been the case for ages, over a year.  Pretty sure that it's a PBS issue and not a Roku issue.  PBS Roku app and back-end video servers were clearly designed by interns from a veterinary school, not by anyone with even rudimentary knowledge of application design or programming.

You can submit a support ticket here http://help.pbs.org/support/tickets/new (select "request assistance" / "problem with app" / "problem playing video in app") but you won't get a response.

Like you, I am a "Passport" subscriber at $60/year, but won't make that mistake again.

loree1223

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Thank you - I appreciate the reply! It's somehow better to know it won't get fixed than to think there's a solution you just can't find. Too bad they can't solicit expert programmers to volunteer like they do with folks for their telethons.

runfastandwin

Fri May 05, 2017 12:44 pm

At least it works on the ipad...

Silvestri

Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I am having the exact same issue.  One day it was fine (I watched 2nd Vietnam video) and the next day, when I tried to watch the 3rd it wouldn't load and I got the same message.  I also removed the PBS channel and re-loaded it but it didn't work.  Odd thing is that I can watch the same videos on a second tv in the house.  I called the PBS help line and was prompted to leave my name and number.  Of course it's been almost 24 hours and no one has called me back.  If anyone finds a fix for this please post.  Thanks.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:55 am

Silvestri wrote:
I am having the exact same issue.  One day it was fine (I watched 2nd Vietnam video) and the next day, when I tried to watch the 3rd it wouldn't load and I got the same message.  I also removed the PBS channel and re-loaded it but it didn't work.  Odd thing is that I can watch the same videos on a second tv in the house.  I called the PBS help line and was prompted to leave my name and number.  Of course it's been almost 24 hours and no one has called me back.  If anyone finds a fix for this please post.  Thanks.

You wrote that you removed the channel then reinstalled it. Note that there's a missing step. It is, in this order, and with no steps omitted:
1. Remove the channel
2. Reboot the Roku
3. Reinstall the channel
Now, that won't always fix things, but it's a first step, as RokuShawnS pointed out earlier. And, the steps must be those steps, not an abbreviation of them. Most people don't do step 2, and that's just as important as the other steps.
Do those, then let us know if the issue remains.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)