Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

empirefalls
Topic Author

Are there any Browser Channels on Roku ?

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:47 pm

A rhetorical question because there are.  
Any recommendations for the best one?  I believe they are all very basic browsers, and with a charge. I may give one a try

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Are there any Browser Channels on Roku ?

Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:52 pm

No, there's not.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

Rcosta

Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:40 pm

I found one, that was published on the channel store, but it did not work. The built in URLs did not work and if you typed in a URL, it also did not work. I reported the failure and uninstalled it. 
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

empirefalls
Topic Author

Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:43 pm

RE
that would be the POPRISM roku channel. a very very very primitive browser.  it was working last week, then i noticed this past week it failed to load after clicking.  I use it sometimes to check the top story headlines on the drudge report. 

jeffrok

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:11 am

Your best bet is to use a chromecast. I think you can cast a Chrome tab to the TV that way. TV web browsing went out the window about 15 years ago. Yeah game consoles have them, but game consoles cost $300 and are just PCs without keyboards.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

empirefalls
Topic Author

Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:47 pm

I bought a  chromecast about 3 years ago, had all kinds of connection problems, never did get it going. returned it.

Vorg

Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:02 pm

There is Screen cast that lets you use a tablet to bring it up and then send to the roku, but that doesn't work for us because we got a Samsung Tab A and they don't put the needed software on it. You have to buy a higher end one to get that bit of software :(

MWDXER

Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 am

Chromecast works great. I can nearly cast anything to the TV from my laptop.

DanzQc

Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:16 pm

I also tried the two browsers I found in the Roku channels. They remind me of DOS shell, the advanced version of DOS just before Windows 3.1came out. In other words... Prehistoric! And anyway they don't even come close to working except for the FBI link (WTH?) which I didn't explore...

The problem with casting is you can't use the remote control to browse. That's fine if you just want to watch something, but if you really want to browse the internet on your TV casting doesn't look like a solution. Unless there's a remote that communicates with the casting source to manage screen taps!

So I'll keep looking or, most likely, not.

jeffrok

Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:52 pm

DanzQc wrote:
I also tried the two browsers I found in the Roku channels. They remind me of DOS shell, the advanced version of DOS just before Windows 3.1came out. In other words... Prehistoric! And anyway they don't even come close to working except for the FBI link (WTH?) which I didn't explore...

The problem with casting is you can't use the remote control to browse. That's fine if you just want to watch something, but if you really want to browse the internet on your TV casting doesn't look like a solution. Unless there's a remote that communicates with the casting source to manage screen taps!

So I'll keep looking or, most likely, not.

Fire Stick has a couple nice browsers..
Yeah, I got some Rokus.

MWDXER

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:40 pm

The Chromecast app no longer works on my laptop, but does on a smart phone. It looks like the only way you can cast the Chrome app to the TV is via a smart phone or a ChromeBook. It works fine on my old Chromebook I kept as a backup, so I finally have a use for it. Much easier to use than the phone. At least for me.

fonzy35

Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:39 am

Roku Ultra already got an screen mirroring app to receive anything from my samsung tablet or my cell phone
When i use the Chrome browser in my samsung tablet, I click smart view and it cast to Roku Ultra , then to my tv.

thetick

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:33 pm

MWDXER wrote:
The Chromecast app no longer works on my laptop, but does on a smart phone. It looks like the only way you can cast the Chrome app to the TV is via a smart phone or a ChromeBook. It works fine on my old Chromebook I kept as a backup, so I finally have a use for it. Much easier to use than the phone. At least for me.

The Chromecast app was demised many years ago.  The functionality has been built into the Chrome browser for years.
TheTick
Roku 3 for Pokémon TV / YouTube
PC / Chromecast for all other media because Roku Mirroring sucks and and the every day re-authenticating via PC required with the Roku.
Verizon FIOS

DBDukes

Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:24 am

MWDXER wrote:

Casting was integrated into the Chrome browser nearly three years ago. You either are in serious need of an update to your browser -- current version is 73 -- or you simply never noticed the functionality was available within the browser. Update your browser, then remove the extension/plugin for casting. At a minimum, disable it.
DBDukes
http://www.dbdukes.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)