Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11
 
rockou
Posts: 419
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:31 am

The HDCP error message hasn't popped up again but now I notice it keeps forgetting to enable HDR. I have the Ultra set to 4k with HDR. I go into Netflix or anything else with HDR and play a movie. It is in 4k but doesn't enable HDR.
I go back to the Roku settings and tuen it to 4k then save it then go back and turn it to 4k with HDR and save it then it works fine. After a while it goes back to not enabling HDR again.

flower Roku fixes one thing and breaks another. Didn't have this problem at all on my KS8000 set until 7.5.1
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI
 
TrendyGuy
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:29 pm

atc98092 wrote:
TrendyGuy wrote:
I am also having this same issue on my Roku Ultra and Samsung KS800. I did not have this problem on my Roku 4 that I was using previous to upgrading to the Ultra. Also, the problem does not seem to have anything to do with HDR as far as I can tell because this problem occurs when I have HDR turned off as well. Sometimes when I restart my Roku it still refuses not to work. I also noticed, as a previous poster commented, that when starting a video the screen goes purple comes up with the message on the bottom for 2 or 3 seconds and then starts playing like normal.

Is Roku working on a fix for this? Is it the Roku or our Samsung tvs, as we all seem to have the same model?

I have to say that using my 4 I had little trouble, but the Ultra had all sort of issues. The resolution was to replace the HDMI cables. Just because the cables worked with the 4 doesn't ensure they work correctly with the Ultra. I have no issues at all with the Ultra on my Samsung JU7100 and my Yamaha AVR. I have 4K HDR selected and everything plays fine.

What kind of HDMI cable did you switch to using? I do not mind purchasing a new one if that is what I need to do but want to make sure the one I purchase will work.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:40 pm

TrendyGuy wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
TrendyGuy wrote:
I am also having this same issue on my Roku Ultra and Samsung KS800. I did not have this problem on my Roku 4 that I was using previous to upgrading to the Ultra. Also, the problem does not seem to have anything to do with HDR as far as I can tell because this problem occurs when I have HDR turned off as well. Sometimes when I restart my Roku it still refuses not to work. I also noticed, as a previous poster commented, that when starting a video the screen goes purple comes up with the message on the bottom for 2 or 3 seconds and then starts playing like normal.

Is Roku working on a fix for this? Is it the Roku or our Samsung tvs, as we all seem to have the same model?

I have to say that using my 4 I had little trouble, but the Ultra had all sort of issues. The resolution was to replace the HDMI cables. Just because the cables worked with the 4 doesn't ensure they work correctly with the Ultra. I have no issues at all with the Ultra on my Samsung JU7100 and my Yamaha AVR. I have 4K HDR selected and everything plays fine.

What kind of HDMI cable did you switch to using? I do not mind purchasing a new one if that is what I need to do but want to make sure the one I purchase will work.

I actually purchased the inexpensive Amazon Basics 18 Gbps cables. I got a 2 pack of 3' cables for less than $10. 
.
That said, I started seeing the purple screen and the message last night. It seems to have happened with the update to 7.5. It doesn't stop me from watching, but does cause an occasional flash of purple with the message at the bottom of the screen. Then playback continues with no problems. Also getting the occasional black screen for a few seconds, then back to normal.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
TrendyGuy
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:34 am

atc98092 wrote:
TrendyGuy wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
TrendyGuy wrote:
I am also having this same issue on my Roku Ultra and Samsung KS800. I did not have this problem on my Roku 4 that I was using previous to upgrading to the Ultra. Also, the problem does not seem to have anything to do with HDR as far as I can tell because this problem occurs when I have HDR turned off as well. Sometimes when I restart my Roku it still refuses not to work. I also noticed, as a previous poster commented, that when starting a video the screen goes purple comes up with the message on the bottom for 2 or 3 seconds and then starts playing like normal.

Is Roku working on a fix for this? Is it the Roku or our Samsung tvs, as we all seem to have the same model?

I have to say that using my 4 I had little trouble, but the Ultra had all sort of issues. The resolution was to replace the HDMI cables. Just because the cables worked with the 4 doesn't ensure they work correctly with the Ultra. I have no issues at all with the Ultra on my Samsung JU7100 and my Yamaha AVR. I have 4K HDR selected and everything plays fine.

What kind of HDMI cable did you switch to using? I do not mind purchasing a new one if that is what I need to do but want to make sure the one I purchase will work.

I actually purchased the inexpensive Amazon Basics 18 Gbps cables. I got a 2 pack of 3' cables for less than $10.
.
That said, I started seeing the purple screen and the message last night. It seems to have happened with the update to 7.5. It doesn't stop me from watching, but does cause an occasional flash of purple with the message at the bottom of the screen. Then playback continues with no problems. Also getting the occasional black screen for a few seconds, then back to normal.

Yes, mine does this as well every time I go to play a video no matter the source, netflix, amazon, youtube, etc. My issue actually seemed to get better after the last update. I used to have to restart my Roku numerous times a day and now I only have to do it once. 
 
rtjazzman
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:39 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:25 am

kennyr35 wrote:
I bought a Premiere+ and was having the same issues as described above. The cable (Link) and TV (Samsung KS8000) both support 4K, but I was still getting the HDCP unauthorized message. I walked through all the step the article mentions and even tried calling up support directly. Eventually they sent me a new box. With that being said, I figured it out with the original box a day ago. You need to enable HDMI UHD Color (in the TV settings) for whichever HDMI port your using, that should solve your problem.

Let me know if it works for you.

I just saw your post today. Hadn't been using Roku as of late. Just added Sling TV and had same issue. Went to my Samsung menu, changed settings as you suggested and YES.....problem resolved. Hopefully people will see your fix and give it a shot. Good troubleshooting. Thanks!
 
videodude
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:09 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:33 pm

Hi All,

I have 65 inch Samsung KS8000 and Roku Premere+ I just purchased Dec 2016.  I am having the same HDCP unauthorized problem from Amazon and Google Play apps.  Netflix does the same if it runs after Amazon app.  I was using AmazonBasics 6ft HDMI cable that I bought this month (Dec 2016).  Good thing I came across this forum.  From here I learned that changing the Roku output to 4K UHD (without the HDR), the HDCP errors were eliminated.  My HDMI inputs had UHD color enabled on all HDMI ports so TV setting did not solve my HDCP problem.  

But of course I didn't want to cripple my brand new video setup by removing HDR capability.  First, I replace the AmazonBasics (the latest version according Amazon website on Dec 2016) HDMI cable with a 2 year old AmazonBasics cable.  Same problem... HDCP errors occured.  Then I dug up an ~8 year old HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice and replaced both AmazonBasics cables with it.  HDCP errors were GONE!!!  This old Monoprice HDMI cable with no built-in Ethernet and audio return channel works flawlessly in 4K UHD HDR 60Hz mode.  No more HDCP purple screens.  The monoprice cable has feritte iron cores at both ends of the cable.  

In conclusion, for my setup at least, the root cause of HDCP 2.2 negotiation error was the HDMI cable not being able to handle both HDR and HDCP 2.2 signalling at the same time.  Until now, any generic high-speed HDMI cable worked on 1080P setups.  But I'm finding out that with 4k UHD HDR and HDCP 2.2, HDMI cable quality DOES matter.  I hope Roku engineers read this post and help other Roku users with similar problem.  Instead of RMAing/replacing the Roku units, they should send out free HDMI cables that are pre-tested to work with both HDR and HDCP 2.2 at 4k resolution.  Biggest mistake on Roku's part was not including a HDMI cable with the Roku highend units.  PS4 Pro that I bought this month came with a cheap looking/generic HDMI cable but I have no HDCP problems.  Now that decision not to include HDMI cable will cost them a lot more in Roku product returns from unhappy users seeing HDCP purple screens.  Roku's current recommendation of power cycling both TV and Roku unit every time HDCP error occurs is pretty pathetic.  No consumer will settle for that sort of workaround.  One thing for sure, Roku will have a tons of returned Premiere/+ and Ultra units that will be resold as refurbished units.     

By the way, I'm a software engineer specializing in hardware device drivers so I like digging through this sort of issues and fixing them.  
 
TrendyGuy
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 pm

videodude wrote:
Hi All,

I have 65 inch Samsung KS8000 and Roku Premere+ I just purchased Dec 2016.  I am having the same HDCP unauthorized problem from Amazon and Google Play apps.  Netflix does the same if it runs after Amazon app.  I was using AmazonBasics 6ft HDMI cable that I bought this month (Dec 2016).  Good thing I came across this forum.  From here I learned that changing the Roku output to 4K UHD (without the HDR), the HDCP errors were eliminated.  My HDMI inputs had UHD color enabled on all HDMI ports so TV setting did not solve my HDCP problem.  

But of course I didn't want to cripple my brand new video setup by removing HDR capability.  First, I replace the AmazonBasics (the latest version according Amazon website on Dec 2016) HDMI cable with a 2 year old AmazonBasics cable.  Same problem... HDCP errors occured.  Then I dug up an ~8 year old HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice and replaced both AmazonBasics cables with it.  HDCP errors were GONE!!!  This old Monoprice HDMI cable with no built-in Ethernet and audio return channel works flawlessly in 4K UHD HDR 60Hz mode.  No more HDCP purple screens.  The monoprice cable has feritte iron cores at both ends of the cable.  

In conclusion, for my setup at least, the root cause of HDCP 2.2 negotiation error was the HDMI cable not being able to handle both HDR and HDCP 2.2 signalling at the same time.  Until now, any generic high-speed HDMI cable worked on 1080P setups.  But I'm finding out that with 4k UHD HDR and HDCP 2.2, HDMI cable quality DOES matter.  I hope Roku engineers read this post and help other Roku users with similar problem.  Instead of RMAing/replacing the Roku units, they should send out free HDMI cables that are pre-tested to work with both HDR and HDCP 2.2 at 4k resolution.  Biggest mistake on Roku's part was not including a HDMI cable with the Roku highend units.  PS4 Pro that I bought this month came with a cheap looking/generic HDMI cable but I have no HDCP problems.  Now that decision not to include HDMI cable will cost them a lot more in Roku product returns from unhappy users seeing HDCP purple screens.  Roku's current recommendation of power cycling both TV and Roku unit every time HDCP error occurs is pretty pathetic.  No consumer will settle for that sort of workaround.  One thing for sure, Roku will have a tons of returned Premiere/+ and Ultra units that will be resold as refurbished units.     

By the way, I'm a software engineer specializing in hardware device drivers so I like digging through this sort of issues and fixing them.  

Having this problem since the Roku Ultra came out and after seeing numerous posts on using new HDMI cables I went ahead and ordered new cables from Monoprice that state they are for 4k, HDR, etc. (http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15428).
After replacing my cable with the new one, the first video on YouTube I went to go play still had the same purple screen HDCP error.
Anyone see any comments from Roku on this?
 
tehprince
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:38 am

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:41 am

I'm having the same issue as well.  What's weird is this just started occurring for me yesterday, before that it worked fine.  My TV is 4K HDR compatible, as well as the cable I'm using.

Is this something Roku is planning on fixing via a software update?  
 
berting
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:45 am

videodude wrote:
Hi All,

I have 65 inch Samsung KS8000 and Roku Premere+ I just purchased Dec 2016.  I am having the same HDCP unauthorized problem from Amazon and Google Play apps.  Netflix does the same if it runs after Amazon app.  I was using AmazonBasics 6ft HDMI cable that I bought this month (Dec 2016).  Good thing I came across this forum.  From here I learned that changing the Roku output to 4K UHD (without the HDR), the HDCP errors were eliminated.  My HDMI inputs had UHD color enabled on all HDMI ports so TV setting did not solve my HDCP problem.  

But of course I didn't want to cripple my brand new video setup by removing HDR capability.  First, I replace the AmazonBasics (the latest version according Amazon website on Dec 2016) HDMI cable with a 2 year old AmazonBasics cable.  Same problem... HDCP errors occured.  Then I dug up an ~8 year old HDMI cable I bought from Monoprice and replaced both AmazonBasics cables with it.  HDCP errors were GONE!!!  This old Monoprice HDMI cable with no built-in Ethernet and audio return channel works flawlessly in 4K UHD HDR 60Hz mode.  No more HDCP purple screens.  The monoprice cable has feritte iron cores at both ends of the cable.  

In conclusion, for my setup at least, the root cause of HDCP 2.2 negotiation error was the HDMI cable not being able to handle both HDR and HDCP 2.2 signalling at the same time.  Until now, any generic high-speed HDMI cable worked on 1080P setups.  But I'm finding out that with 4k UHD HDR and HDCP 2.2, HDMI cable quality DOES matter.  I hope Roku engineers read this post and help other Roku users with similar problem.  Instead of RMAing/replacing the Roku units, they should send out free HDMI cables that are pre-tested to work with both HDR and HDCP 2.2 at 4k resolution.  Biggest mistake on Roku's part was not including a HDMI cable with the Roku highend units.  PS4 Pro that I bought this month came with a cheap looking/generic HDMI cable but I have no HDCP problems.  Now that decision not to include HDMI cable will cost them a lot more in Roku product returns from unhappy users seeing HDCP purple screens.  Roku's current recommendation of power cycling both TV and Roku unit every time HDCP error occurs is pretty pathetic.  No consumer will settle for that sort of workaround.  One thing for sure, Roku will have a tons of returned Premiere/+ and Ultra units that will be resold as refurbished units.     

By the way, I'm a software engineer specializing in hardware device drivers so I like digging through this sort of issues and fixing them.  

@VideoDude --- Your fix by using a V1.3 HDMI cable intrigued me, so I went out and bought one to see if it made any difference for me. (Like you, I view this as a check for a hardware error masquerading as a software problem.) Unfortunately in my case there is no difference in "HDCP Unauthorized" behavior whether I'm using the V1.3 cable, or my new super-duper-ultra fast HDMI cables. There are other differences, including that Netflix can no longer see that I have a 4k television, but it had no affect on my HDCP issue.
 
Nebo1ss
Posts: 210
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:01 am
Location: London, England

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:21 pm

The purple screen is definitely indicative of the handshake between the TV and the ROKU failing. If you are using 18GHz certified cables it should not happen. UHD 4K needs a larger bandwidth than 1080 and adding HDR just increased the bandwidth requirements even more. Of course the handshake between the TV and the ROKU is a software process which could be failing.

If we assume that it is a ROKU problem and they correct it you could still continue to experience problems if you are not using 18Gig cables so while awaiting ROKU to fix the problem It would be a good idea to upgrade your cables if you are using older cables. Another important issue is the length of the cable, If you are using long cables they are more likely to be problematic.
 
berting
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri May 06, 2016 7:36 am

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:55 pm

Nebo1ss wrote:
The purple screen is definitely indicative of the handshake between the TV and the ROKU failing. If you are using 18GHz certified cables it should not happen. UHD 4K needs a larger bandwidth than 1080 and adding HDR just increased the bandwidth requirements even more. Of course the handshake between the TV and the ROKU is a software process which could be failing.

If we assume that it is a ROKU problem and they correct it you could still continue to experience problems if you are not using 18Gig cables so while awaiting ROKU to fix the problem It would be a good idea to upgrade your cables if you are using older cables. Another important issue is the length of the cable, If you are using long cables they are more likely to be problematic.

@Nebo1ss --- I have 18 GHz cables from 5 different vendors (3 and 6 feet long), and none of them make a bit of difference in the HDCP-Unauthorized behavior. I bought the V1.3 cable to see if there might be a crosstalk issue caused by the ethernet link or audio back-channel in the HDMI 2.0 cables, but in my case this is apparently not the issue either. While I'm sure some folks are suffering from inadequate-bandwidth cables, I think my specific problem is a protocol disagreement between the Roku and my LG television.
 
mrjlturner
Posts: 379
Joined: Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:40 pm

I ran into this issue a few years ago on a brand new out of the box ROKU 2 XS.  The issue was hardware-related with the unit itself.  I RMA'd the unit, they shipped a new one, and it worked out of the box.  This says to me that there is a small margin of defect in hardware getting sent out from the warehouse.  No cable will fix that issue :)
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime
 
Temples of Syrinx
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:52 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:11 pm

I just ran into this issue yesterday with a brand new Roku Premiere+ and Samsung UN65KS800D run 4K/HDR.  Netflix worked fine most of the time.  Amazon would sometimes flash the PSOD ("purple screen of death") twice and then play the video.  Other times Amazon would freeze with PSOD.  I spent a couple hours chatting with tech support and trying all of the various things outlined in this thread including:  different HDMI cable, different ports on the One Connect, unplugging both devices, uninstalling/reinstalling the Amazon app, setting HDMI UHD Color on.  After nothing worked, I was instructed to return the unit to retailer.  This afternoon I installed a new Premiere+ and so far everything is working fine (actually the picture seems much better).  I'm so glad I didn't have to return the TV.  I will let you know if anything changes but I think this is another this data point indicating hardware defect.  Roku needs to take a look at their quality control.  I have been a Roku believer for some time but this has shaken my faith a little.  I hope the next person with this issue finds this information helpful.
 
iFrog
Posts: 219
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:49 am

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:23 am

I still have this issue once and a while with a Roku Ultra connected to a 2016 Sony 43" X800D TV.  The only other 4k+HDR compatible device connected to the TV is an Xbox One S, which has no issues.  For me the Roku  only seems to do this after it's been sleeping for a while and I play something on the initial TV and Roku Power on / wakeup.

The unit is running 7.5.1 build 4111.  In addition to this, I also have the Roku fail Software updates  randomly too even with  an active connection to the internet.  I have found  rebooting the unit fixes both issues for a while.  I have pretty much concluded these issues are  specific to the Roku Ultra and Premiere+ as I have a 2016 Roku streaming stick on a Sony 1080p TV in the bedroom, and have none of these issues.  When I had the premiere+ it still had the software issue, but not the HDCP issues so I think that's a separate issue.

At this point  I've had a pretty solid Roku experience, I just wanted to mention the two random issues  I've had so they can be looked into.  I always like to do a manual check to see if i have any updates to be applied, or have automatically been applied.  I think  reporting the manual check failure  would be good because it could mean that the automatic updates are failing too and people wouldn't know it.

Anyway have a great day everyone :)
 
jpwhitehome
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:39 pm

Re: Roku Ultra....Purple Screen with HDCP Unauthorized Message

Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:43 pm

Thanks kennyr35

The advice to set the HDMI port mode to UHD color worked well for me.

I have a premier+ connected to a 8 series 2016 Samsung TV using their One Connect gizmo.

The purple screen showed 2-3 times in the first 10 seconds then went away after I set the HDMI port color mode appropriately.

UPDATE: I have found that what the UHD Color mode setting is on a Samsung TV isn't important, what is important is that when you get the purple screen just changing the UHD color mode from off to on or on to off sets the HDMI port and it starts to work just fine.

What a pain to watch something I have legitimately paid for.

Roku, once I have verified I'm attached to a legit TV/Device please don't show the purple screen again, especially since I'm not turning the TV or ROKU off.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 31 guests