Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:13 pm

EnTerr wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:
As I'm fond of saying also, Netflix is the industry leader and a multi-billion dollar company. Nothing they're doing is accidental, or a mistake, or not thought out. Every single UI change is run through professional testers, focus groups, and users who allow test features before they're rolled out to everyone else.

are you also fond of saying that for the US presidential elections?

In case my metaphor needs explanation, one (multiple ones, multiple millions of $) can do lots of professional polling, focus groups and tests and ultimately... draw the wrong conclusion, bigly.

I see your point, but it's hard to compare the two - the wrong outcome isn't the same as some users complaining about a feature. Also, Netflix can change what they're doing it if doesn't work out (and if they see this affecting their bottom line, they will). So far, not yet.
 
ugc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:56 pm

Here's what I had to do because ALL of my complaints/request directly to Netflix to easily put the option in settings to turn off what I wanted off just falls on deaf ears. I really believe they just don't care what their paying customers want. So, I had only 2 options. 1. Cancel my Netflix subscription (didn't want to do this yet, but still on the table). OR find a new way to browse Netflix in peace, which leads me to option 2. I installed (bought) endless instant Netflix browser from the channel store. Works fine.
 
Arwen
Topic Author
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:04 pm

ugc wrote:
...
I installed (bought) endless instant Netflix browser from the channel store. Works fine.

I've heard about that channel over the years. People say it works good.

Can you launch the video directly from The Endless' Netflix "Instant Watch Browser"?
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
 
ugc
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 17, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:09 pm

Arwen wrote:
ugc wrote:
...
I installed (bought) endless instant Netflix browser from the channel store. Works fine.

I've heard about that channel over the years. People say it works good.

Can you launch the video directly from The Endless' Netflix "Instant Watch Browser"?

It will automatically open your Netflix browser to watch anything.
 
Arwen
Topic Author
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:48 pm

Tried the free version, it won't launch the video, just the Netflix channel.

Will the paid version allow launching the actual video from inside the channel?
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:37 pm

I'm pretty sure that I have the paid version (haven't used it in years);  I tried and it wouldn't seem to be capable of that.  I think that you're expected to use The Endless' browser to place things on your My List and then jump into Netflix to access them.
 
T_J
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:02 am

My Netflix subscription 2010 to present. Currently have a Premiere +, a Roku 2 (4210R), and a N1000. (recently sold XDS)

Bought Instant Watch Browser app several years ago, which works pretty good, except now some sections don't seem to be kept updated. 
I have a [Roku N1000 / Sony DVP-FX820 portable DVD player / Sony cordless headphones] on side of computer desk. Used N1000 to obtain Dec 23, 910 AM CST data below.
*****
Expiring Soon Movies: 1st movie - expires Jan 5, 2017; 2nd movie - available May 2, 2015; 3rd movie - available Mar 19, 2015; etc.
Expiring Soon TV: 1st TV - available May 2, 2015; 2nd TV - available Mar 19, 2015; 3rd TV - available Nov 1, 2014; etc.

Coming Soon Movies: 22 Movies available Jan 1, 2017; 23rd movie - available Jan 1, 2038, etc.
Coming Soon TV: (only 2 listings) 1st - available Jan 1, 2038; 2nd - available Jan 1, 2038.

New Movies & New TV sections seem ok, have large listings.

The Genres Section (HD, subtitles, 5.1, years, popular); I've only used the 'years' category, which works good.
per year - 2000 thru 2016 (2005)
per late or early decade - 90s, 80s (late 80s, early 80s)
per decade - 30s thru 70s (1940s)
years pre 1930 movies
 
bvd1022
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:06 pm

Arwen wrote:
bvd1022 wrote:
Arwen wrote:
The recent Netflix channel change adds in one more annoyance. When at the video selection, (for any
video now), it starts playing something. Pretty distracting to the point I can't read the descriptions.

All in all, I can list 6 different annoyances with the Netflix channel on Roku. (Mine is Roku 3, model
4200X.) All I want are options to disable distracting so called features. And yes, I just contacted
Netflix.

Anyone else annoyed with this reduction is user friendlyness?

I actually like it. All the preview is basically a mini trailer for whatever selection you're currently on. I recently added another profile to my Netflix because I am looking to add more stuff to my list, it's helped me find stuff I wouldn't have otherwise seen or been interested in based on the title alone. 

I'm glad someone likes the changes. All I want is a choice, (meaning a way to opt out of the auto-play).

If it gets much worse, I may have to vote with my money. Not that Netflix cares about a single person
canceling service. But, in the case of Amazon, they lost hundreds of dollars on rental and purchases over
the last 2 years due to channel problems. I simply used their competition, which has a cleaner, more user
friendly interface.

First, Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. As far as Amazon, the only thing I have a problem with them, which I have taken up with them directly is the lack of Ultraviolet compatibility with not only Amazon Video, but also on their Fire TV device, which frankly limits how often I use Fire TV due to not having access to my deep movie collection, which currently is near the 500 mark. I purchased a Disney movie from them last year as they had a promotion going on at the time and seeing as they are part of the Disney Movies Anywhere digital locker service. I have told them outright that they are leaving money on the table seeing as I am a longtime Prime member and do most of my online shopping through Amazon to begin with, if they were part of Ultraviolet, I would probably buy more movies from them than I would other digital stores.  

As for their UI, On Roku, it is considerably improved and unlike the Fire TV, movies and TV shows in one's watchlist are separated and it is clearer. On the Fire TV, the UI and in particular the watchlist is considerably cluttered and it is hard to find some things that you may have added a while back and gets lost in whatever else you have added. I also don't particularly care for how some movies/TV shows that are available on Prime don't have a notice when those titles will no longer be available on Prime on some devices including the Fire TV, at least Netflix gives subscribers a notice when stuff is leaving the service. I am a big NYPD Blue fan and when it was available on Prime, I pretty much watched it daily after I would get done with my material as the whole series was available with a Prime membership in the overnight hrs. (I'm a writer), One day last year without notice NYPD Blue was taken off Prime and a good majority of the seasons weren't even available to purchase if one wished to do so. The only way I would have purchased seasons is if they were UV compatible, but I would have appreciated a notice.  Hopefully, Netflix adds the series at some point or Vudu gets UV rights for the full series. At that point, I'd buy it, same goes for the Law & Order series of shows.

As far as Netflix, although I understand why some including yourself would like an opt-out option to certain features, it has never been an issue for myself personally and it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker for me if I did have a problem. I do like the new trailer like feature they have added as I mentioned before. Netflix offers a lot of great content and as far as auto-play, I wish they would do what Hulu does and just play content continuously without a prompt to see if people are still watching. Even though I understand why Netflix does what they do as piracy is an issue, I consider it a mild annoyance, but not a deal breaker. The only thing time when auto-play works against me is when I start watching something and I pass out. When that happens, I just pick up from where I left off originally when I wake up or the next time I go on Netflix.  I recently added a few extra profiles to my Netflix subscription so I don't run out of room on my list (Also a mild annoyance) and as a way to hopefully find titles easier, but of the four general entertainment/Movie services I use, Netflix is still on top in terms of content, though Hulu is starting to step up their game. I am also a fan of Tribeca's Shortlist service though obviously it with take time for Tribeca's service to grow where it can be compared and compete with the other three I have mentioned. 
 
Arwen
Topic Author
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Sun Dec 25, 2016 4:16 pm

bvd1022 wrote:
...
Netflix offers a lot of great content and as far as auto-play, I wish they would do what Hulu does and just play content continuously without a prompt to see if people are still watching.
...

I am glad some people like the new interface.

One of the issue that bit Netflix hard on auto-play, is Internet data caps. Someone could start episode 1 of 24 episode season
and end up playing 24 episodes in a single sitting. Even after they turned the T.V. off. Data usage spike and Netflix was FORCED
to allow people to disable auto-play. And when I mean FORCED, I trully mean lots of people complained and wanted Netflix
to pay the fines for exceeding their data caps on their broadband.

Now they are back to eating up Internet bandwidth AGAIN with Previews and Auto-play.

I may have 1Gbps Google fiber, but the connection from Google to Netflix is listed as about 36Mbps. No need to eat that up,
because I already have enough drops below SD, down to fuzzy SD, (noticably below DVD quality, and hard on the eyes). I
should get Full HD all the time for videos that have it. Yet I get fuzzy SD. I'd rather reserve my bandwidth for videos I want
to watch, not previews, not auto-play and not auto-play next.
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Mon Dec 26, 2016 1:01 am

Arwen wrote:

I may have 1Gbps Google fiber, but the connection from Google to Netflix is listed as about 36Mbps. No need to eat that up,
because I already have enough drops below SD, down to fuzzy SD, (noticably below DVD quality, and hard on the eyes). I
should get Full HD all the time for videos that have it. Yet I get fuzzy SD. I'd rather reserve my bandwidth for videos I want
to watch, not previews, not auto-play and not auto-play next.

Bandwidth wasted by previews and auto-start is not affecting available bandwidth while streaming a title; it doesn't work that way.

Previews and auto-start won't waste a fraction of the bandwidth that auto-next-episode did.  Netflix thinks that most people browse for 90 seconds and either start watching something or go away.  That's nothing compared to running 3 or 4 episodes of a series while the customer naps.

Auto-next-episode was in place for over a year before Netflix added the toggle (late 2012 until early 2014).  I don't recall that they were "FORCED" to add the option to turn it off and I can't find any evidence of that.  Can you link to some?
 
Arwen
Topic Author
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:03 am

mikeyts wrote:
Arwen wrote:

I may have 1Gbps Google fiber, but the connection from Google to Netflix is listed as about 36Mbps. No need to eat that up,
because I already have enough drops below SD, down to fuzzy SD, (noticably below DVD quality, and hard on the eyes). I
should get Full HD all the time for videos that have it. Yet I get fuzzy SD. I'd rather reserve my bandwidth for videos I want
to watch, not previews, not auto-play and not auto-play next.

Bandwidth wasted by previews and auto-start is not affecting available bandwidth while streaming a title; it doesn't work that way.

Previews and auto-start won't waste a fraction of the bandwidth that auto-next-episode did.  Netflix thinks that most people browse for 90 seconds and either start watching something or go away.  That's nothing compared to running 3 or 4 episodes of a series while the customer naps.

Auto-next-episode was in place for over a year before Netflix added the toggle (late 2012 until early 2014).  I don't recall that they were "FORCED" to add the option to turn it off and I can't find any evidence of that.  Can you link to some?

Whatever is causing my constant drops to below SD, down to fuzzy SD, I'd rather it not be because of wasted
bandwidth. It's almost like Google Fiber ISP is detecting competitive streaming and throtling down my bandwidth.
Google has their own streaming T.V. service, that I don't bother with, so that may be the cause. Except that
Amazon and VUDU don't have this problem.

You are right about the amount of data Previews and Auto-start use, compared to Auto-play Next. My personal
dis-like is the distraction when trying to read the descriptions.

My experience with the Auto-play Next was here in the Roku forums. MANY people complained within weeks of
feature coming out. Please note that the Netflix channel on the Roku may not have followed the same release
schedule as other Netflix apps, like on Android or web based.
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:02 pm

They weathered complaints about auto next episode for over a year before adding the option to disable it. They added the automatic start while reading descriptions in August of 2015, so that's already been around for a bit longer than that. They still might make it optional, but the waste of large amounts of some of their customers' bandwidth caps was a strong motivation to make auto next episode optional.
 
bvd1022
Posts: 1124
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 9:52 am

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:30 pm

Arwen wrote:
mikeyts wrote:
Arwen wrote:

I may have 1Gbps Google fiber, but the connection from Google to Netflix is listed as about 36Mbps. No need to eat that up,
because I already have enough drops below SD, down to fuzzy SD, (noticably below DVD quality, and hard on the eyes). I
should get Full HD all the time for videos that have it. Yet I get fuzzy SD. I'd rather reserve my bandwidth for videos I want
to watch, not previews, not auto-play and not auto-play next.

Bandwidth wasted by previews and auto-start is not affecting available bandwidth while streaming a title; it doesn't work that way.

Previews and auto-start won't waste a fraction of the bandwidth that auto-next-episode did.  Netflix thinks that most people browse for 90 seconds and either start watching something or go away.  That's nothing compared to running 3 or 4 episodes of a series while the customer naps.

Auto-next-episode was in place for over a year before Netflix added the toggle (late 2012 until early 2014).  I don't recall that they were "FORCED" to add the option to turn it off and I can't find any evidence of that.  Can you link to some?

Whatever is causing my constant drops to below SD, down to fuzzy SD, I'd rather it not be because of wasted
bandwidth. It's almost like Google Fiber ISP is detecting competitive streaming and throtling down my bandwidth.
Google has their own streaming T.V. service, that I don't bother with, so that may be the cause. Except that
Amazon and VUDU don't have this problem.

You are right about the amount of data Previews and Auto-start use, compared to Auto-play Next. My personal
dis-like is the distraction when trying to read the descriptions.

My experience with the Auto-play Next was here in the Roku forums. MANY people complained within weeks of
feature coming out. Please note that the Netflix channel on the Roku may not have followed the same release
schedule as other Netflix apps, like on Android or web based.

I am not certain on this, but a possible suggestion I have would be to reach out to your internet provider and see what can be done. My internet does not have a data cap, but I did have problems for a few years accessing YouTube on Roku. A video would play in a playlist and then I would get a video playback error message and this went on and on even though I didn't experience the same issue on a different device. It wasn't until I had a problem with my ISP's modem that I was informed that we had "Obsolete" equipment according to my internet provider. Although I cut a promo, to use a  pro wrestling term on my internet provider for not informing my family and I that the equipment we had was no longer in use by said provider,  a switch to updated equipment along with a slight increase in my speed as far as my connection miraculously solved the Roku/YouTube problem I was having and now I can watch playlists from my YouTube on my Roku all day if I wish without issue 90% of the time excluding an outage in the area most likely caused by bad weather, etc. I don't know the particulars of your situation, but if I were in your shoes, I would reach out to your internet provider. Speaking for myself, I pay a flat fee per month with no data caps.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:01 pm

Arwen wrote:
Whatever is causing my constant drops to below SD, down to fuzzy SD, I'd rather it not be because of wasted
bandwidth. It's almost like Google Fiber ISP is detecting competitive streaming and throtling down my bandwidth.
Google has their own streaming T.V. service, that I don't bother with, so that may be the cause. Except that
Amazon and VUDU don't have this problem.

I have the same issue with Netflix. After numerous calls to my ISP (CenturyLink) I filed an FCC complaint. That finally got them to take me seriously. They did discover a problem, but it was outside their system (so they said) and could not offer a solution. Something, somewhere on the Internet, is throttling Netflix. I has seen YouTube video streaming in excess of 40 Mbps, and get UHD Amazon with no problem. But Netflix I often struggle to get 1080, let alone 2160. Now that they've disabled the onscreen resolution display, I don't really know what I'm getting. 
.
Must be an epidemic about the on-screen display. YouTube removed their diagnostic display as well, and Amazon doesn't seem to show HD or UHD when streaming now. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:28 am

Both my TiVo and this television's Amazon apps still have a resolution indicator (SD, 720p, 1080p and Ultra HD); Fire TV and the new version of the app on Xbox One also has it.  The new version of the app on Roku has never had that indicator.  I can't remember whether the old Roku Amazon app had one.

It was never an official feature of the Netflix UI.  I suspect that they took it out due to people complaining about what they saw on that display, whether they were satisfied with PQ or not.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests