Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Are you annoyed with Netflix channel changes?

Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:57 pm

People are often FAR more concerned with what resolution they think they're getting instead of the show they're watching, or if the picture looks nice. Never quite understood that myself. 

mikeyts

Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:19 pm

That's what I'm saying.  Lots of people will complain that the display doesn't say 1080p even if it looks pretty good at whatever resolution they are getting.  There are many reasons why they might not be getting enough bandwidth on their connections to Netflix's servers to get the highest resolution that have nothing to do with Netflix and are beyond their control, yet their tech CSRs probably end up wasting time trying to diagnose such problems.

They'll still get calls from people who think that they should see higher resolution while viewing Netflix (particularly if they're seeing fuzzy really low bit rate encodes) but that debug display being unavailable to customers should reduce those.

Arwen
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:30 am

Yes, I am one of those people who think I should get better display from Netflix. That said,
I am quite happy with something between full SD, (Standard Def), and 720p. Meaning a low
bandwidth SD stream is just too fuzzy to watch.

If I remember correctly, their used to be 4 SD streams, 2 of 720p, and 3 of 1080p. Movies
and T.V. episodes from DVDs that were recordered at SD originally, look fine by me. DVD
quality should be the top of the SD. So I can compare things I bought years ago with Netflix
and there is no comparision, Netflix will generally drop to fuzzy several times during playback.
This can be fixed by exiting playback, exiting the video, and restarting it.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

mikeyts

Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:49 pm

You, Arwen, have an actual problem and are completely justified in seeking help from Netflix and/or your ISP.

Fake Ghost Pirate

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:57 pm

Odd, I haven't had any of this auto-play nonsense on my Roku box. Maybe cause I have the Roku 2 which has been declared a "dinosaur" so Netflix doesn't bother making these awful "improvements" to it. 
My tablet is a different matter entirely. It has some of the auto-play nonsense, but not the automatic trailers...not yet anyway. It's amazing how many devices and apps would be drastically improved by being able to turn OFF these nonsensical features that always look good on paper in front of a boardroom committee.

mikeyts

Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:18 pm

My Roku 3 now has the "previews" feature (along with Xbox One S and Xbox 360); my Roku Premiere+ still does not and neither do either of my TiVos' or this smart TV's Netflix apps.  I'm sure that it will eventually come to all of them.

The mobile app UI is an entirely different animal from the "10-foot" A/V device app UI.

It's not just boardroom demos which get these features included in the UI.  Netflix is constantly doing A/B testings on tens of thousands of randomly chosen customer devices to see how changes affect the way that customers use their service.  If the results are what they'd hoped for they deploy the feature widely; if not it disappears forever.  I've had features which didn't make the cut temporarily show up on one of my devices and not the others and I was sorry to see some of them go.

mikeyts

Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Fake Ghost Pirate wrote:
Odd, I haven't had any of this auto-play nonsense on my Roku box. Maybe cause I have the Roku 2 which has been declared a "dinosaur" so Netflix doesn't bother making these awful "improvements" to it. 

Roku has stated in this forum that they and Netflix tried very hard to get the new common interface running on pre-Roku 3 models and failed to achieve acceptable performance.  The standard Roku look-and-feel Netflix UI remains on Roku 2 XS and XD which doesn't have these auto-start, auto-next-episode/post-play and previews features which some people here don't like in the newer common Netflix UI.  To its detriment, it also lacks support for Profiles, which are very useful if more than one person commonly use your Netflix account.  Also no Netflix Kids mode.

Arwen
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:31 am

mikeyts wrote:
The standard Roku look-and-feel Netflix UI remains on Roku 2 XS and XD which doesn't have these auto-start, auto-next-episode/post-play and previews features which some people here don't like in the newer common Netflix UI.

Thank you for reminding me. I have 2 older Rokus, a HD XR, (which won't do 1080p on my display),
and a 2 XS. Perhaps it's time I dig the 2 XS out and use it instead.
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth

Dan291

Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:10 pm

mikeyts wrote:
Arwen wrote:
Now they are back to eating up broadband network bandwidth again, because
those auto-play previews and auto-play videos can't be disabled.

A valid point.  Although the amount of bandwidth wasted by these feature isn't really comparable to people falling asleep while watching a TV series and 4 or 5 or more episodes running while they nap.

My main complaint, entirely.
I just bought a Roku, my older streaming device had the older Netflix software. I fell asleep and awoke when only halfway throgh the next program. What an inane feature. I'll binge with the best of them, but I AM capable of starting the next episode. <sigh>

mikeyts

Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:37 pm

Dan291 wrote:
My main complaint, entirely.
I just bought a Roku, my older streaming device had the older Netflix software.  I fell asleep and awoke when only halfway throgh the next program. What an inane feature. I'll binge with the best of them, but I AM capable of starting the next episode. <sigh>

If you haven't already, go to "Playback Settings" in your Netflix profile and un-check the "Play next episode automatically" option.  For over a year after they added that feature there was no way to inhibit it.

Monkey_Toes

Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:21 pm

Arwen wrote:
My list of annoyances on the Roku Netflix channel are more than I have fingers on a hand...
(Okay, I only have 5 fingers on each hand :-). Here is the list in my priority order;

1 - Preview play on any video before I can read the description
2 - Auto-play in video selection before I can read the description
3 - Drop video quality below DVD, (meaning low bandwidth SD), so it's fuzzy, (I have 1,000Mbps broadband!!!)
4 - Minimizing the credits
5 - Preview play on featured video before I can read the description
6 - Who's watching? after starting channel, when there is exactly ONE choice, talk about user UN-friendlyness

After about 5 years, I've cancelled my Netflix streaming account for 4 screens at the same time.  The new automatic preview "feature" was more than I was willing to take.  When it first rolled out on our Roku 3's I asked Netflix support if there was a way to turn it off or opt out and they said there was not.  I advised them I would be cancelling my account because of this new feature and I finally did so.  We can get along fine with Hulu (with no commercials) and Amazon Prime.  Hulu has a pretty good selection of older series which I like.  But the new Amazon interface is not very good either, but it is part of the Prime shipping so we'll keep it for now.
Anyway, if you don't like the auto-preview feature, please let Netflix support know and be willing to vote with your wallet and cancel your account.  If enough subscribers do it, they'll have to give us the option to turn it off, especially if you go to their competition.  If you do decide to cancel, let them know why so they can see that it is costing them subscribers which means they are losing money.

mikeyts

Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:23 am

Of my devices, previews have only made it to Xbox One S, Xbox 360 and Roku 3.  I primarily use TiVo Bolt for Netflix (for its 24Hz output of 24p content), so the feature isn't on anything that I use regularly.  But I played with it the other day on Xbox One and though I expected it to be annoying I kind of liked it.  It works pretty well for my style of browsing; you have to dwell on a title for a couple of seconds before it starts and if I do that I'm at least intrigued by the title and graphics so seeing a little of it can be helpful.  I put a couple of things on My List which I probably wouldn't have and watched and enjoyed some of them.

Arwen
Topic Author

Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:12 am

After using the new Netflix inteface for more than 9 weeks, I can still say it's just
as annoying as when the new interface was initially released. The auto-play of the
previews is just as distracting and I end up not being able to read the descriptions
easily.

This has prompted me to deal with some of the problems my own media has in
regards to BIF files and audio. For example, even though I can watch MacGuyer
on Netflix, I had bought the DVDs years before. But, my BIF file creation was not
as close as Netflix and my video monitor does not support AC-3 audio.

So, I have started fixing the 3,000 videos by creating new BIF files which are
closer to the proper place. And if the video has AC-3 audio, convert it to AAC,
(leaving a copy if the AC-3 audio was 5.1 channels).

This reminds me why I bought the DVDs in the first place. Freedom. Today it's
not freedom from T.V. commercials. Or freedom to choose something Blockbuster
did not have at present. But freedom from outside interferance.

Gee, got a bit ranting going :-). At least I stayed polite.

Basically my point is, if you want something your way, be prepared to back it up
by doing it your way. So for me, it means occasional purchases of DVDs and
Blu-rays when I can't find them on streaming services. Then use those copies
even if they appear on the streaming services.
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth

jinj

Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:47 am

Each Netflix app release, the worse it gets.

Look at their website too. It is like it was designed for 4 year olds.