Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Arwen
Topic Author

Are you annoyed with Amazon channel changes?

Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:08 pm

The recent Amazon channel change adds in more annoyances. The forward and back buttons no
longer move one segment, (a few seconds). They activate a new menu that does not allow that
function, only fast forward and fast rewind. Roku 3, model 4200X.

And yes, I contacted Amazon. Even got a case ID 0099081040.

Anyone else annoyed with this reduction is user friendlyness?
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth

dfgsrzwer

Re: Are you annoyed with Amazon channel changes?

Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:13 pm

That "case number" you got is useless. The new interface is intentional. It is similar to the crappy one on Xbox. The one on my Roku XD still uses a "good" interface, but I never watch Amazon on that device (I don't watch on Xbox either, but mostly because it would force me to manually change the sound from 5.1 PCM to Dolby).

The limited FF/RW I can live with. It's the clunky pause/stop/back to menu/choosing TV episodes that irks me.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

SD493

Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:00 pm

The old interface was much better.

Emissary35

Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:55 pm

This is the new trend, Amazon and Netflix keep making changes to their apps to make them less user friendly and more annoying to customers and they never listen to feedback to give people options on which features that they want to turn off, it will soon become just as unenjoyable a viewing experience to use these streaming apps as watching cable is.

dfgsrzwer

Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:31 pm

Emissary35 wrote:
it will soon become just as unenjoyable a viewing experience to use these streaming apps as watching cable is.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.
1080p and 720p TVs

atc98092

Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:14 am

What annoys me is the way their UHD content is so buried. You have to scroll waaaayyyy down the UI before the UHD material appears. Why not place it at the very top like Netflix does? You should showcase your best material.  :roll:
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Joltarin

Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:05 pm

Arwen wrote:
Anyone else annoyed with this reduction is user friendlyness?

Yes!
And the unfortunate people who have a Roku 4230 won't have instant replay either.
I may reconnect my Roku 2 XS so I can use the old channel.
Roku Premiere+ (4630RW), Roku 3 (4200X), and Roku 2 XS (3100X) with Plex

imcdona

Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:48 pm

Arwen wrote:
The recent Amazon channel change adds in more annoyances. The forward and back buttons no
longer move one segment, (a few seconds)

I couldn't agree more. The removal of the forward and back buttons during video play back is huge.

Great idea opening a ticket. I'm going to do the same.

PS: Anyone interested in expressing feedback to Amazon on the recent changes can do so here: www.amazon.com/gp/aw/contact-us/email/r ... g?#contact

molovoch

Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm

Echoing everyone's sentiments, I joined the roku forum due to this horrendous update. I will do all I can to complain to Roku/Amazon. If anyone has any additional suggestions for providing feedback about this awful update, please let me know.

dssonic

Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:30 am

The interface is identical to what they've used for a while on their own Fire TVs - picture that interface for the entirety of your streaming experience, and that is what it's like to use a Fire TV.  I don't really like it, but it's usable and you get used to it.

dssonic

Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:46 am

It looks like Amazon is already changing the interface on their Fire TVs, so the new Roku interface is immediately outdated.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/16/amazo ... ves-today/

jeffrok
** Valued Community Member **

Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:10 am

It looks pretty, but I haven't had a chance to actually use it much. I thought the old interface was old and clunky.. Didn't now of the popular channels, I think Hulu is doing the best of not screwing things up too badly.
Yeah, I got some Rokus.
https://youtu.be/d1CSEeqWl10

mikeyts

Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:14 pm

dssonic wrote:
It looks like Amazon is already changing the interface on their Fire TVs, so the new Roku interface is immediately outdated.

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/16/amazo ... ves-today/

Wow.  That new interface is quite the homage to Netflix.  Sounds interesting--I can't wait to check it out (assuming that it comes to my first gen FTV Stick, which all other new FTV features have).

dfgsrzwer

Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:31 pm

jeffrok wrote:
I think Hulu is doing the best of not screwing things up too badly.

I hope you didn't just jinx it. HBO isn't that bad either*. At least both have wrap-around listings. I'll take functional over "pretty" any day. The day those two get "pretty" on Roku is the day I stop streaming altogether and go back to discs.

*on Roku only; I'm not happy with either on Xbox---too "pretty"
1080p and 720p TVs

stereo55

Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:41 am

The new Amazon interface is absolutely horrendous to use . Its so clunky and UNresponsive (even being hard wired) and trying to fast forward or reverse anything is a dam* chore . The the lack of responsiveness (load time) too is like a major step backwards in years and like using older roku hardware .
I quit using my Roku Ultra when I first bought it because of this , and had gone back to my Roku 4 . Now the last update changed my Roku 4 to to this crappy Amazon update . Have yet to check my Roku 3's .

If this is not changed back or improved somehow , Iam going to cancel my Amazon Prime and no longer purchase anything video wise from them in the future . The new Amazon interface is just too much of a chore to use . Not happy either having a large purchased Amazon video collection , which I will no longer view due to this new interface . 

I had also purchased a couple new (updated)  Roku's for direct family members as Christmas gifts , specifically for them to share my Amazon prime video (now allowed with some restrictions) , but those units may now be returned .

VERY disappointed in Roku and Amazon and/or who ever ok'd this mess .